Warning: Super Glue

johan

VIP
LV

Awards
Time & time again I read postings on this forum of guys resorting to Super Glue to fix something vape related. I just feel compelled to do this post here:

Do not use Super Glue! as 99% of Super Glue purchased in South Africa comes from China and contains CYANIDE. Cyanide is highly toxic in any form and can kill you.

The best to use is Pratley's 2-part clear epoxy - it's non-toxic in cured form, much more durable, does not off-gas toxic fumes when exposed to heat (like Super Glue does).

Please be safe and vape alive!

Superglue is awesome for fixing minor finger cuts, working in IT that's often one of the side effects. And a drop of superglue works better than anything. Afterwards, use a nail file or sandpaper. and you're left with a scar any plastic surgeon would be proud of.

Ths should stickied/pinned

The best super glue story I have is a friend of mine about 20 years ago smoked some mountain cabbage and wanted eye drops to clear his red eyes, put super glue in by mistake, rushed to doctor who had to surgically reopen his eyes! :-D

The best super glue story I have is a friend of mine about 20 years ago smoked some mountain cabbage and wanted eye drops to clear his red eyes, put super glue in by mistake, rushed to doctor who had to surgically reopen his eyes! :-D

Damn!

dunno about cyanide but all superblue is cyanoacrylate. does not withstand high heat or water.

My go to superglue is Q-Bond that stuff is great. Don't use ot for anything vape or food prep related but must check about the cyanide thing when I get home.

some solid advice @johan , thank you

and to the other guys who contributed

I was working on something a few years back with low viscosity super glue. As I reached to grab the glue, I touched the nozzle which immediately stuck to my finger. Didn't want to let go of what I was about to glue so shook it lightly. Ended up falling in such a way that as it fell, it blasted a small shower of super glue into my face, catching my eye lashes, moustache, lips and my generally tender skin.

I don't like superglue anymore.

Superglue is awesome for fixing minor finger cuts, working in IT that's often one of the side effects. And a drop of superglue works better than anything. Afterwards, use a nail file or sandpaper. and you're left with a scar any plastic surgeon would be proud of.

I'll rather stay safe and use my trustful old electric tape for minor cuts

Did that when I was 4 years old, minus the mountain cabbage!! My dad used alot of eye drops so I wanted to be like him and grabbed the first thing that looked like eye drops... alot of winking at strangers that day!

dunno about cyanide but all superblue is cyanoacrylate. does not withstand high heat or water.

That's if it is the original super glue (medical grade) and not the cheap stuff we buy in South Africa.

What about Loctite? (Not cheap. Very expensive. one time i was going to take some at Action Bolt, but it was a large bottle - about 50ml - i think it was around R300-400)

What about Loctite? (Not cheap. Very expensive. one time i was going to take some at Action Bolt, but it was a large bottle - about 50ml - i think it was around R300-400)

I purchased some loctite superglue two days ago at checkers 3ml - R34.oo

:) yes, 1ml ...and probably not the same stuff. Loctite Corp bought one of the well-known adhesive /etc companies, cant remember the name now. So...
But anyway, the general superglue at supermarkets and builders warehouse and so on, Loctite probably better than the rest.

:) yes, 1ml ...and probably not the same stuff. Loctite Corp bought one of the well-known adhesive /etc companies, cant remember the name now. So...
But anyway, the general superglue at supermarkets and builders warehouse and so on, Loctite probably better than the rest.

Was this stuff
14579517183_1bb6f4336b.jpg

Highly doubtful that it contains cyanide, the main ingredient is cyanoacrylate. Maybe some confusion with the name?

Highly doubtful that it contains cyanide, the main ingredient is cyanoacrylate. Maybe some confusion with the name?

Yes I know, but the cheep stuff (imported from china), not the quality medical & vet grade stuff are contaminated by cyanide (tests were done early 2002 by Roux Labs in Silverton). That's why I know about this.

Could be trace amounts from when it's made.

Gosh I am ashamed to admit I fixed a leak on my (only) tank late one night just a month ago with superglue and vaped that damn thing for two hours. First tried a stinky and put it out straight away cause it tasted like absolute crap. But yeah...oops. Threw it out and now have two tanks in rotation for those late night study sessions. Fatigue and nic withdrawal addled the brain... not a good decision in retrospect.

Loctite makes an industrial supper glue. runs like water but my brothers company uses the stuff to repair high pressure packing on steam lines in the factory. We used some of it at home a while ago to join a chain link to test the stuff. The chain is still hanging in the workshop with about 80kg hang from it. the stuff is crazy expensive though.

Back