When to change coils?

SeekerZA

New Vaper
LV

Awards
Hey great people

When will be the right time to change coils? I'm currently just pulsing the coil and changing the wick every other day.

Hey great people

When will be the right time to change coils? I'm currently just pulsing the coil and changing the wick every other day.

It depends on the quality of the coil you are using... the fancy ones made by some of our coil masters in SA can last for months if well looked after. The more experienced you become the easier it is for you to just know from the look of the coil and the taste change.

I use good coils and tend to change coils every two months as a rough rule.

It depends on the quality of the coil you are using... the fancy ones made by some of our coil masters in SA can last for months if well looked after. The more experienced you become the easier it is for you to just know from the look of the coil and the taste change.

I use good coils and tend to change coils every two months as a rough rule.
Yes quite agree, don't know whether i use more build friendly e-juice but i find i only need wicking after about 5 solid days vaping with a build on average and i just pulse then run deck under a tap and give the coil a gentle brush with toothbrush (not the one i use on my teeth) before pulsing again.
The mass produced Chinese coils give just as good flavour as expensive coils but it's the longevity that differs. With a Chinese Mass produced coils they will be good on average for 4 or 5 re-wicks (based on how long i use between re-wicks and how i clean the coil) but at the other end of the scale i bought a couple of years ago an assortment of 24 different coils from Pure Coils in the US (Crazy Chef) that ranged from £30 per pair to £10 a pair they cost over £200 in total but i have only used 6 of them to date (2 pairs in dual RTA's and 2 in single coil RTA's) and they have lasted on average 6 months.

Hi @SeekerZA
It does also depend on how much liquid you vape on them
I have several devices in rotation so I only change my coils every 3 to 6 months. Not vaping any of them exclusively. I could change them more frequently thought because every time I change them I am amazed at the flavour improvement. The decay seems quite gradual so I don’t notice it well. But when a new coil goes in it’s quite amazing.

Hi @SeekerZA
It does also depend on how much liquid you vape on them
I have several devices in rotation so I only change my coils every 3 to 6 months. Not vaping any of them exclusively. I could change them more frequently thought because every time I change them I am amazed at the flavour improvement. The decay seems quite gradual so I don’t notice it well. But when a new coil goes in it’s quite amazing.
Yes and of course what juice you use will also make a difference.

Only just noticed the OP's opening was "Hey Great People" i think i have gatecrashed! :couch:

Out of the 2 rta's , 1 RTA I'll vape a single flavour and the other 2 flavours. Every day

Flavours vary from fruity, beverage and bakery profiles. Around 10 flavours to choose from and dont quite vape the same flavour profile more than say 2 tanks in a row.

Not recommend I know, but the options. Must taste everything

Out of the 2 rta's , 1 RTA I'll vape a single flavour and the other 2 flavours. Every day

Flavours vary from fruity, beverage and bakery profiles. Around 10 flavours to choose from and dont quite vape the same flavour profile more than say 2 tanks in a row.

Would be better to stick to the same flavour between re-wicks, nothing to do with the topic of how long your coils last but you never completely get rid of a flavour off the cotton when moving to a new flavour!

Great that you have variety @SeekerZA
That’s the best part about vaping

I forgot to mention what @Timwis touched on above - about different juices having an effect on coil life

I find the NET tobaccoes and the sweeter juices tend to be harsher on the coils and wicks. After pulsing with a rough juice the coil seems to have more debris on it even after using a toothbrush (I also do that). But lighter less sweet and non net tobaccoes tend to be much lighter on the coils. On the RTAs that are workhorses I have settled on lighter juices that don’t wreak havoc with the coils, so I don’t have to change them for quite a long time.

If it’s a rough juice, it most often goes into a RDA first for testing. Very easy to change coils in my RDAs for me.

I guess I am lucky because other than some rough tobaccoes I generally like fruity menthols and most of them are quite forgiving on the coils

Great that you have variety @SeekerZA
That’s the best part about vaping

I forgot to mention what @Timwis touched on above - about different juices having an effect on coil life

I find the NET tobaccoes and the sweeter juices tend to be harsher on the coils and wicks. After pulsing with a rough juice the coil seems to have more debris on it even after using a toothbrush (I also do that). But lighter less sweet and non net tobaccoes tend to be much lighter on the coils. On the RTAs that are workhorses I have settled on lighter juices that don’t wreak havoc with the coils, so I don’t have to change them for quite a long time.

If it’s a rough juice, it most often goes into a RDA first for testing. Very easy to change coils in my RDAs for me.

I guess I am lucky because other than some rough tobaccoes I generally like fruity menthols and most of them are quite forgiving on the coils
Yeah NET Tobaccos are worse, i find with them to make my coils last as long as possible i re-wick everyday but still longevity isn't great, the e-liquid fantastic though!!!:band:

Yeah NET Tobaccos are worse, i find with them to make my coils last as long as possible i re-wick everyday but still longevity isn't great, the e-liquid fantastic though!!!:band:
That's were Chinese cheap coils do come in handy because there is no way i would use a £10 to £15 coil using NET e-liquids!

Hey great people

I tend to change coils in two scenarios irrespective of time spent in the atty.
1. When I start getting spit back
2. When the coils look brown or faded to a dull grey.

it’s important to remember that a quality coil needs to be looked after. I.e. no dry burning for excessive amounts of time and no dry burning to “clean” the coil.
A good medium or hard toothbrush does the trick and also occasionally when I have been vaping a tobacco or a net I dry scrub with a toothbrush, pulse for a second or 2 and wait for it to cool followed by a scrub again under the tap with my toothbrush that I have bought for the sole purpose of cleaning coils.

Here is an example of the coil I recently replaced. Note how it’s gold in colour after dry burning for a moment. I space my coils ever so lightly to avoid hot spots and excessive dry burning.
59F93C9F-CBD3-474F-A4DB-4BBF9AD1C84D.jpeg
After about a month of daily use and cleaning the coil goes from a purple to a light blue and finally a dull grey but I must stress this is from me dry burning too much because sometimes it’s easier to dry burn gunk than to clean it with a toothbrush.

Thank you all. Learning curve for me. Will get a toothbrush and apply that method of cleaning coils going forward.

I however, dont see a change in color on the coils I use from the coil company. But I'll do a change shortly after a month use on both tanks.

Great and helpful community we have here. Appreciate it, especially having gone from pod setup ( convenient coil change the moment that obvious change in flavour comes through ) to a mod.

I tend to change coils in two scenarios irrespective of time spent in the atty.
1. When I start getting spit back
2. When the coils look brown or faded to a dull grey.

it’s important to remember that a quality coil needs to be looked after. I.e. no dry burning for excessive amounts of time and no dry burning to “clean” the coil.
A good medium or hard toothbrush does the trick and also occasionally when I have been vaping a tobacco or a net I dry scrub with a toothbrush, pulse for a second or 2 and wait for it to cool followed by a scrub again under the tap with my toothbrush that I have bought for the sole purpose of cleaning coils.

Here is an example of the coil I recently replaced. Note how it’s gold in colour after dry burning for a moment. I space my coils ever so lightly to avoid hot spots and excessive dry burning.
View attachment 190314
After about a month of daily use and cleaning the coil goes from a purple to a light blue and finally a dull grey but I must stress this is from me dry burning too much because sometimes it’s easier to dry burn gunk than to clean it with a toothbrush.
Yes but as discussed the ageing process is different depending on the quality of the coils used!

Thank you all. Learning curve for me. Will get a toothbrush and apply that method of cleaning coils going forward.

I however, dont see a change in color on the coils I use from the coil company. But I'll do a change shortly after a month use on both tanks.

Great and helpful community we have here. Appreciate it, especially having gone from pod setup ( convenient coil change the moment that obvious change in flavour comes through ) to a mod.
If there is no ageing of the coils why change and waste money, first port of call for flavour is the wicking, this should just need changing until the coils start ageing!

If there is no ageing of the coils why change and waste money, first port of call for flavour is the wicking, this should just need changing until the coils start ageing!
I sometimes go for many month (+- 3months with a coil used daily about 11 ml a day through the coil) with no coil change.

I sometimes go for many month (+- 3months with a coil used daily about 11 ml a day through the coil) with no coil change.
Sounds right for a looked after good quality coil! :sherlock:

Being new to wrapping and DIY ............. I change coils much more than I need to because I can. "Hmmm I wonder what a 3mm ID Ni80 triple wrap will come out at at 6 wraps"

As addictive as nicotine. :rolleyes:

Back