Silver

Flavour and throat hit seeker
Staff member
Administrator
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
Please don't take offence to my following question...

Can someone please link me to a thread where you explain just why a REO is the be all and end all of Vaping. I do believe all of you that say it's the shizznizz, but I just can't see it. I can't see how it could be better than, for example a 100w box (yes I know its a mech) , or a 26650 full copper mod etc etc.

Please understand that I'm not asking this out of disrespect, I genuinely want to understand. I have some cash to burn at the moment, and can easily afford a LP REO Grand with all the bells and whistles(if there are any) etc. But with that same amount of cash, I could buy a pretty sick as testicles authentic copper mech mod and dripper.

Help!!!

Hi @NickT

Have decided to start a new thread for this type of discussion.

I'll try give a brief summary - then provide you with some links

Firstly, let me say that the REO is not necessarily the best device for everyone. Some people prefer regulated devices and some don't like squonking every few puffs (squeezing the bottle to saturate the wicks). Also, some folk don't like rebuilding coils.

That said, the reasons why the REO has given me massive vaping pleasure over the past four months are as follows:

Flavour is top notch
- it is a bottom fed dripper, so the flavour is very good. The best I have tried.

Throat hit is top notch
- the coils can be configured to give me a steam train throat hit - or if I prefer, it can be toned down

Superb convenience
- this is a big thing to me. I want something that's easy. Many things contribute to the convenience of a Reo.
- Bottom fed dripping is way more convenient than dripping out of a bottle. One squonk gives you a few puffs
- The little juice bottles are very easy to work with - makes refilling very easy. No messy tanks to worry about.
- Replacing batteries is simple, just slide off the door, take out a battery and pop a new one in. No screws, no fiddling.
- Building coils on the RM2 atomiser is a breeze. Post holes, ceramic deck. Very easy and simple.

Reliability and longevity
- I've had my Reos now for about 4 months. Not one problem, whatsoever. They just work and work very well.
- Partly because they're mechanical and partly because they are made well and are quite simple, there is very little to go wrong if you use them in the way they were intended.
- I believe there are many Reos going strong a few years down the line.

Bear in mind, my Reo experience is mainly with the standard atty, the RM2, which I think is very good. But it's designed mainly for single coils. Others have experimented a lot more than me with other bottom fed atties.

Here are some links to threads you may want to read

My impressions after two months
http://www.ecigssa.co.za/threads/is-the-reo-the-end-of-the-road.3589/

A similar thread started by @Rob Fisher
http://www.ecigssa.co.za/threads/is-the-reo-the-end-of-the-line.2251/

There are a few more - I can't find the review done by @johan. Maybe Johan can post that. Also, @Andre has posted several posts which summarise the benefits of the REO. I just can't find them now.

When you have time, read the following threads:
http://www.ecigssa.co.za/threads/reo-the-basics.2561/

Also read the All Things Reo thread. There is a lot of very useful info on it
http://www.ecigssa.co.za/threads/all-things-reo.524/

All the best
Hope it helps you

Last edited:
All true... I will try to put in in a nutshell according to my opinion and experience as pointed out in another post.

It 's because it offers simplicity, durability & authenticity. It does what all other devices do(besides electronic of course), and just adds all I stated into it. Like taking the best of everything, and adding it together, but just made simpler, and it works..

Here follow my impressions dd. 12 May 2014 (copied and pasted from: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-personal-opinion-standard-reo-grand-rm2.html):

My personal impressions of the standard Reo Grand + RM2 RDA (after a couple of days use)

Pros
Highly customizable - you can tinker to hearts content with various coil topologies, coil position and wicking until you hit your personal vaping g-spot (flavour, throat hit and vapour production). Quick easy recoiling.
Absolute bliz to clean - no air-/fill holes that can spill liquid on battery and battery connections.
The RM2 certainly excels over all the RDA's that I've played with - the ceramic deck just do it for me, and the intense flavour production is out of this world - some of my less loved e-liquids really changed to something almost likeable.
Zero nasty boiled or burnt e-liquids as on most of all the RTA's I've experienced.
Although I'm not into cloud chasing, it's very easy to fog up a room in no time.
Solid durable built - extremely robust and will outlast most other commercial mechanical devices.
Compact and a pleasure to travel with and fits neatly in my shirt pocket.

Cons:
Regular 'squonking' required to keep the wick moist. It does take a couple of minutes to get use to and might be inconvenient for some vapers (but still much more convenient than conventional dripping).
Increase in juice consumption (maybe due to the joy of using this device).
Very difficult to go back to RTA's as they all just lack in; flavour, ease of set up, quick and easy filling, maintenance, convenience and versatility.

Once used to the Reo's fit in your hand, anything else just feels stupid!

20140512_104224.jpg
Note: I don't have very big hands at all

Too easy to chain vape and put myself regular on a nic plug.
RM2 RDA air hole too small for most vapers (can be very easily enlarged though).

Random comments:
The Reo design is a real K.I.S.S (keep-it-simple-stupid) compact device, which should be the design objective of any mechanical device anyhow.
If I compare the following: flavour, vapour, throat hit, ease of set up, filling, maintenance, convenience, mobility, reliability, versatility, durability, customization possibilities, and readily availability of spare parts, as well as personal after sales service, there are hardly any device on the market that can compete with the Reo.
In my personal opinion the Reo is very reasonably priced compared to other ORIGINAL, non-mass produced mechanical devices, and will recommend it to anyone that enjoy a RDA's flavour intensity. If your personal preferences are more towards regulated devices, rather think twice before buying a Reo.
The fact that I thought this particular order got lost or stolen was actually a blessing in disguise otherwise I would not have ordered a second one - cause one Reo is just not enough.
Will I modify this Reo? apart from aesthetic appearance, there is absolute nothing from a technical point of view worth modifying - it just works perfectly out of the box. From an electrical point of view I'm well impressed with the design's logical "shortest route" energy flow from source to 510 connector by pure mechanical means (including the simple no-nonsense mechanical switch).
And yes, I did strip the whole unit out of pure curiosity - after all, how can you properly use something, if you don't know how it works?
Is this the end of my vaping journey regarding hardware? NO, vaping device technology are driven by end-users and the clever developers will eventually come to fore with newer, better and improved technology. Hopefully I will be there to experience such "new" technology as a vaper, being it an improved Reo or other.
PS: Thanks to all the existing Reonauts on the ECF as well as the South African forums, your inspirational posts leaded me to one of my best purchases in my relative short vaping journey. A few pounds well spend!

What would a full REO kit cost? Most of the guys locally don't have stock. Do most of you buy them from Reosmods directly?

What would a full REO kit cost? Most of the guys locally don't have stock. Do most of you buy them from Reosmods directly?

Around the R2,600 mark. That's a Grand Low Profile, RM2 and Button, shared shipping in a group buy and a little duty that sometimes gets charged. The killer when ordering direct on your own is the $48 shipping.

Check with @Oupa at Vape Mountain because I'm sure he has some LP stock on its way.

Okay so if you're a throat smoker thus prefer drippers, chasing clouds etc. then the REOS is the business.

However I do think if you are a mouth-to-throat smoker, like myself, a dripper isn't necessary at all.

So I can save a bundle of cash in future.

Sent via a NASA satellite which gathers my thoughts and relays them to the world

Thanks for the feedback @Rob Fisher

I think i'm going to consider one of these when I get tired of the Evic.

This dripper thing is also not all it cracked up to be. More of a pain in the ass than anything. U just start enjoying the juice, then it's empty and u have to refill.
When u refill, u end up spilling all over the place, or the device ends up leaking. Plus.... I am lazy, especially when it comes to admin stuff. If i buy something, it must just work, don't have time for admin, and this RDA thing is alot of admin. Its like having a high maintenance GF without any benefits :hit:

Okay so if you're a throat smoker thus prefer drippers, chasing clouds etc. then the REOS is the business.

However I do think if you are a mouth-to-throat smoker, like myself, a dripper isn't necessary at all.

Not at all... I'm a flavour junkie and not a cloud blower at all. I choose a REO because of the ease of use but mostly because of the flavour.

Thanks for the feedback @Rob Fisher

I think i'm going to consider one of these when I get tired of the Evic.

This dripper thing is also not all it cracked up to be. More of a pain in the ass than anything. U just start enjoying the juice, then it's empty and u have to refill.
When u refill, u end up spilling all over the place, or the device ends up leaking. Plus.... I am lazy, especially when it comes to admin stuff. If i buy something, it must just work, don't have time for admin, and this RDA thing is alot of admin. Its like having a high maintenance GF without any benefits :hit:

I have never really used a dripper for more than a few minutes and I agree it's a pain.

Not at all... I'm a flavour junkie and not a cloud blower at all. I choose a REO because of the ease of use but mostly because of the flavour.

Oh right. I was a bit confused then.

I compared dripping, in my mind, to like when I take a throat-drag on my clearo. I create more Vapour and get more throat-hit, but i loose flavour. So I prefer mouth-to-throat vaping. And this is why I don't look at drippers.

But if you do get loads of flavor, then I need to reevaluate.

Sent via a NASA satellite which gathers my thoughts and relays them to the world

I'm not a cloud chaser either, I like the flavour more.

Don't think i'd ever be a cloud chaser, I'm too scared to take that much vapour into my lungs. :eek:

The Reo is all about getting the best possible flavour from your juice, the clouds can be good with the reomizer, but it's not designed with that goal in mind, At least I don't think so.

I do understand the pro's of the reo in terms of convenience. The rest though not so much, in terms of flavour I have found my magma to be better than the Reo devices I have tried, dripping is excellent for flavour and I have no issues carrying a bottle of juice to drop through the drip tip into the chamber, a chamber that has never leaked on me or spilt juice, in fact I would say its just as easy as squonking just from the opposite end. I also have no problem with mouth to lung hitting, just tighten up the airflow.
I also like a regulated device, no voltage drop, I know visually where I am in terms of battery life and the ability to not only subohm but also have a lot more versatility at higher resistance (Watts are where its at IMO). Bring on a regulated device with the bottom feeding idea and I will be really interested, until such a point I will have to risk being offensive and call the reo the provari of mechanical mods.

I have no issues carrying a bottle of juice to drop through the drip tip into the chamber, a chamber that has never leaked on me or spilt juice, in fact I would say its just as easy as squonking just from the opposite end.

That it certainly ain't... but if you are happy with your drippers on an electronic mod that's great.

I do understand the pro's of the reo in terms of convenience. The rest though not so much, in terms of flavour I have found my magma to be better than the Reo devices I have tried, dripping is excellent for flavour and I have no issues carrying a bottle of juice to drop through the drip tip into the chamber, a chamber that has never leaked on me or spilt juice, in fact I would say its just as easy as squonking just from the opposite end. I also have no problem with mouth to lung hitting, just tighten up the airflow.
I also like a regulated device, no voltage drop, I know visually where I am in terms of battery life and the ability to not only subohm but also have a lot more versatility at higher resistance (Watts are where its at IMO). Bring on a regulated device with the bottom feeding idea and I will be really interested, until such a point I will have to risk being offensive and call the reo the provari of mechanical mods.

All valid points @Danny, and as @Silver mentioned earlier in the thread, the Reo is not for everyone. My friend also has a Magma RDA which he absolutely loves. And he can go for about an hour between refills.

Hehehehehehehe I am also playing devils advocate a bit. I know how much loved the reo is :p

Hehehehehehehe I am also playing devils advocate a bit. I know how much loved the reo is :p
ahmadinejad.jpg

Agree with all of the above K.I.S.S. There are other devices out there that give awesome flavour and exceptional TH. I dont think any owner will say its the best device out there, but for the price and convenience its awesome. Dont forget its no clone which for me is the biggest selling point, I do buy clones but I hate the idea of it because it means we vaping on other ppls stolen ideas, even if the clone is a perfected version of the original. It ultimately was the designers idea which is stolen, anyway there are millions of thread on this issue.

Back to the Reo dudes its an awesome all round device, and I love mine

The device that works for you is the best device!

The reo has its own flavour, yea, but every device has its own effect on flavours.
I don't actually understand the reo, its more parts to clean, and more maintenance to change flavours. When i want to change flavour i just open a different bottle, instead of connecting and disconnecting pipes and cleaning my devices insides.

I can only imagine changing out bottles of flavour being annoying.
This is why most reo owners buy 4 or 5 reo's, so they don't have to maintain anything, so they can have a device for each flavour ....
Pay more for more convenience...

Its also straight mech so you have no control of output voltage, you push the fire button and that is your vape.
For the next hour or 2 your vape will deteriorate as your battery dies off...
If you want to change how she vapes, you must rebuild your coil...

Yea, reo's are cool and squonking is fun but they are from 2 or 3 years ago now. There have been advances across the vaping spectrum
There are many options available to the vaper out there!

I would be disappointed and held back by the reo. The other thing about Reo's is that this forum HYPE's them like they are the be all and end all vapour device. But you will not find that be all end all solution with a REO, there is still much to be desired.

At-least for me personally, This is how i feel about the reo's and why i have not joined all the others yet.

@MarkK , you make some valid points and I can fully understand where you are coming from

The Reo certainly has its flaws and as I said in my original post, it's not for everyone. Some dont like mechs and some dont like squonking.

I havent tried the latest high powered regulated devices or that big dripper of @RevnLucky7 - but otherwise Ive tried quite a bit and so far, the Reo has given me the best vape and convenience I've had. So until something else comes along that appears to be much better, I am likely to stay a happy Reo vaper.

Back