Wick it!

Resistance

Vaping Royalty
LV

Awards
I know cotton is the preferred wick due to its capillary action,but before cotton there was others Wickes rated tops or good enough.
So with the introduction of fibres in cotton and the fact that we hardly discuss other or should I rather say previous wicking marterials.
I think we need to share our experiences to find the better option for everyone.

Basically I wondered what happened to glass fibre aka silica wicks (thought it was different but learnt is the same)
It was used in the very early pen type mods.
It has such good thermal properties ,but it's a scary topic for some and was just left behind in the dust.
Then there's Rayon. Also from the early pen type mods and recently blended in cotton mixes to different percentages.

None of the above including cotton is actually the best wick for all users and some might disagree and say cotton got angel wings.
Other vapers might still like to vape on the odd type wick that most forgot about and some never new existed.
So join in the discussion and post pics of what you use. It might just help the next vaper.

I use cotton bacon. I bought it because everyone did and it was the top wicking product sold at the time I bought it.
I didn't get the 'wow' factor but still used it and did it work for me. Yes I wicked most of my gear for over a year with it.
Then I tried ceramic wicks.(when I knew it was ceramic) and thought why not just have ceramic coils/wicks.
Obviously this won't be an option theirs a whole world out there with different needs, but what other wicking material options are there that we never considered.

Fibreglass/silica
Rayon
Ceramic
Mesh SS
What did I miss, fill in the ones I did please

I’ve only vaped on cotton. And out of the probably 10 types I’ve tried, I only remember 1 relatively bad experience where I had a weird cotton taste on a fresh wick for a few hits. I’ve never noticed any difference in performance or longevity to the extent that I use the few types I have randomly. Fire bolt shoelace stripes are quite practical but I can survive without them. I actually still use my old cheap, very cheap Japanese organic cotton that comes in big bags and that I bought from Wish.com for close to nothing 2-3 years ago and they still perform very well :)

I’ve tried a fair amount of wicking materials in the first few years of my vaping but haven’t tried many new ones in the last year or two.

I’m just happy with what’s working for me

Tobaccoes in the Reo/RM2 - cotton bacon V2 or Jap Cotton pads (Ko Gen doh)
I find the cotton brings out a bit more roundness and earthiness to the tobaccoes.

Rayon in the lower powered restricted lung atties with fruity menthols - eg Lemo1 and Subtank Mini
I find the Rayon gives more crispness with the fruity menthols at low power, I like the taste

For the moderate power restricted lung and fruity menthols (eg Skyline and Dvarw etc) I am using Royal Wicks. It’s a cotton of sorts and wicks nicely and has good taste for me. But am running out and it’s hard to find. So will probably go with Titanium fibre cotton.

In my Evod with a Berry Blaze and menthol it’s the stock coils with silica wicks because. I prefer the flavour to the cotton wicks. The flavour is a bit sharper and more sour, which I like.

For my vaping which is generally at lower power with stronger Nic juices I find the differences between various “good” wicks to be quite small. I could really use either wicking material but just prefer my choices for the various flavours I vape.

I’ve also used so many different brands of cotton and have settled on fiber n cotton for the last few months.

easy to work with and cheap and it lasts and lasts.

I wish the cottons used by Freemax and Horizontech for their stock coils were sold in packets loose or in pads for rebuildables. No break-in time, seems to just outlast other cottons and holds the moisture in better which helps prevent leaking but i would take no notice because i'm full of shit!!!!

I prefer CB v2 and Firebolt for my ADV's (Tobacco's and desserts) I have TFC and Fibre N Cotton but both lack depth of flavor when it comes to those profiles. They do perform excellent with the odd fruity vape in which I indulge every now and then.

I've been using TFC for well over a year and I love it. Very little break in if any.

And I'm so use to wicking with it. Cut a piece of 2 and a half finger widths long and split in 2. Remove a bit of fluff and of you go.

I prefer CB v2 and Firebolt for my ADV's (Tobacco's and desserts) I have TFC and Fibre N Cotton but both lack depth of flavor when it comes to those profiles. They do perform excellent with the odd fruity vape in which I indulge every now and then.
Yes i use Firebolt if the ID of the coils allow it, if not i use Jellyfish which is another cotton with very little break-in period.

That's just the issue I have. Why settle for what's given to you if it doesn't work for you? Or maybe because someone says,it's there use it.
Many atties were made for different materials and some of them are making a comeback like mesh.
Why are there not much other alternatives to choose from?

I’ve tried a fair amount of wicking materials in the first few years of my vaping but haven’t tried many new ones in the last year or two.

I’m just happy with what’s working for me

Tobaccoes in the Reo/RM2 - cotton bacon V2 or Jap Cotton pads (Ko Gen doh)
I find the cotton brings out a bit more roundness and earthiness to the tobaccoes.

Rayon in the lower powered restricted lung atties with fruity menthols - eg Lemo1 and Subtank Mini
I find the Rayon gives more crispness with the fruity menthols at low power, I like the taste
For the moderate power restricted lung and fruity menthols (eg Skyline and Dvarw etc) I am using Royal Wicks. It’s a cotton of sorts and wicks nicely and has good taste for me. But am running out and it’s hard to find. So will probably go with Titanium fibre cotton.

In my Evod with a Berry Blaze and menthol it’s the stock coils with silica wicks because. I prefer the flavour to the cotton wicks. The flavour is a bit sharper and more sour, which I like.

For my vaping which is generally at lower power with stronger Nic juices I find the differences between various “good” wicks to be quite small. I could really use either wicking material but just prefer my choices for the various flavours I vape.

I might try TFC or Fiber n Cotton as I'm running out aswell.
I guess that sparked the interest. I need to stock up but the main question is the one above. I never got the wow factor with cotton but, do I just get what I've used or try something else?
Then the main question is what else is there to try?

I guess all the odd choices would be better suited to MTL atties.

I have also read that hemp was a good choice in the past,but not sure how it will handle RDA/RTA temperatures.

Looking for a source still. I got some info to get Graham cellucotton from the www. But that was last night...yet to explore.
I also saw Vapemob used to stock it. I'm yet to inquire from them

Looking for a source still. I got some info to get Graham cellucotton from the www. But that was last night...yet to explore.
I also saw Vapemob used to stock it. I'm yet to inquire from them
ask @Rob Fisher i remember in the old days he used to buy it in some SERIOUS bulk quantities. Huge boxes of it lol.

So how do we persuade you to allow us to do some scientific vaping research:wizard:

Back