Wicking

MeirTaitz

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi guys

When u remove your cotton after a little while, should the entire piece be the colour of your juice? I find that the centre is pretty much white. Does this mean it's too tight?

Hi guys

When u remove your cotton after a little while, should the entire piece be the colour of your juice? I find that the centre is pretty much white. Does this mean it's too tight?
Mine is often white in the middle.

if your coil moves around when you pull the cotton out then I reckon it’s too tight.

I find it very challenging using the cotton bacon since you need experience on the size of strip. I think I'll go get the firebolt ones for now :p

I find it very challenging using the cotton bacon since you need experience on the size of strip. I think I'll go get the firebolt ones for now :p
Judging the thicknesses is a challenge to me still as well.

You should definitely try different cottons.

I personally don’t like cotton bacon, i use fibre n cotton. I find it’s easier to handle and tear.

TFC is also nice and easy to use.

the agletted cotton thread like fire bolt take all the guess work out of cotton and wicking completely.

G-Taste-Preloaded-Cotton-1024x512-510x255_medium.jpg
I like to use these as the laces are pre done for 3mm ID, for my 2.5's I just tear a little off. Pack comes with both laces and strips. the other thing to try is to get some flat cotton and make some Scottish rolls, they are very easy to work with once you have done the roll bit.

https://blckvapour.co.za/collections/wick-wire/products/one-cloud-cotton

I'm truly amazed that shops recommend me Cotton bacon prime as a complete beginner. It does my head in honestly!

Hi @MeirTaitz

It does take a bit of time to get better at judging how much cotton to put in but if you practice a few times one gets the hang of it.

also what can help is pinch it on the one side and slightly roll it a bit. So it goes from being narrow to a bit wider. Put in the narrow side and pull through till the tightness is right. Not perfect but has helped me a few times.

Wick should be snug but not so tight that the coil moves when pulling it through. At least that’s how I do it.

another tip which might help. When I tear a piece of wick off from the wick pack and I find it’s just right, I try keep the rest of it for the next wick or two. I just put that wick aside in a small plastic bag and write on it which mod that ‘belongs to’

one also needs to experiment a bit because some setups prefer or can tolerate a slightly tighter wick than others.

I use Cotton Bacon V2 in many of my devices. Not those shoelace wicks.

Judging the thicknesses is a challenge to me still as well.

I got the hang of it sometime last year. Now I pinch off just the right thickness everytime. It's not something you can teach. Just like pouring a double without a tot measure. I get it right every time. Years of practice....lol

In the beginning I use to get dry hits galore to the point where I wanted to just chuck the whole lot of gear in the garbage.

In the end I went to a vape shop and asked to show me how. Took about 3 trips and tutorials to finally get it in the right direction.

Cotton Bacon is not bad to learn on. It's all about experience. Some prefer the cotton to just slide through the coil. I myself prefer to wick it hard and jam that cotton into coil. With RDA's a light fluff of the tails, RTA's I comb the tails to the point of no more cotton coming out.

My goto cotton has been TFC for the last 2 1/2 years. I just know how to work with it and how to feel when its the right thickness. The shoelace cottons are too thin for me personally.

Just hang in there. You will get it right. We all had to push through that phase.

In the beginning I use to get dry hits galore to the point where I wanted to just chuck the whole lot of gear in the garbage.

In the end I went to a vape shop and asked to show me how. Took about 3 trips and tutorials to finally get it in the right direction.

Cotton Bacon is not bad to learn on. It's all about experience. Some prefer the cotton to just slide through the coil. I myself prefer to wick it hard and jam that cotton into coil. With RDA's a light fluff of the tails, RTA's I comb the tails to the point of no more cotton coming out.

My goto cotton has been TFC for the last 2 1/2 years. I just know how to work with it and how to feel when its the right thickness. The shoelace cottons are too thin for me personally.

Just hang in there. You will get it right. We all had to push through that phase.
The strange part is I don't get any dry hits at all. I am determined to get this wasp rta to taste good like everybody says it should, and at this point I'm almost certain it's not the coil/s so it must be how I am wicking. I will try make it alot thinner than I have before and see if that helps. Maybe it's too thick and it's not absorbing as it should :)

If this is the case you will be getting dry or semi-dry hits. Take a few consecutive puffs. If you don't get a dry hit you are good to go.

Coil position is also a very important factor for flavour.
Agreed. Coil position is key.

post a pic of your build here. I’m sure we can help. The wasp is a flavour machine.

`
There is absolutely no agreement on the forum as to what is the "best" cotton.

Some only like one cotton and swear by it. Others like two or three. Still, others find almost any cotton acceptable. There is no objectively superior cotton. If we discovered one that was the best we would all use it.

It's kind of like running shoes. There are several main brands. Some find a particular brand to be the best and yet marathons have been won by people wearing all the different brands.

Find one that you like and stick with it. If ,in the future, a consensus develops as to a winner stick with the one you have chosen until this happens.

`
There is absolutely no agreement on the forum as to what is the "best" cotton.

Some only like one cotton and swear by it. Others like two or three. Still, others find almost any cotton acceptable. There is no objectively superior cotton. If we discovered one that was the best we would all use it.

It's kind of like running shoes. There are several main brands. Some find a particular brand to be the best and yet marathons have been won by people wearing all the different brands.

Find one that you like and stick with it. If ,in the future, a consensus develops as to a winner stick with the one you have chosen until this happens.
Couldn’t have said it better. Find what works and stick to it.
There’s a learning curve with different cottons and it’s a pain in the rear.

Just a Q

how many break in the cotton first before they draw on it. I do every time now with the caps or tanks off and not just a little bit. I blow on the coil at the same time and saturate 3-4 times.

It is rare now that I get that new cotton taste, no matter what I use. @MeirTaitz may also be experiencing that new cotton taste which overpowers the juice taste.

Back