Wotofo Faris RDTA & RDA (2 in 1)

Timwis

Vaping Royalty
LV

Awards
Hi Ecigssa members, In this review i take a look at the Faris RDTA & RDA 2 in 1 from Wotofo. The Faris RDTA & RDA was supplied for the purpose of this review by Antonio from Wotofo.

https://www.wotofo.com/wotofo-faris-rdta.html

Introduction

The Faris RDTA, RDA all in one is a collaboration between Wotofo and vape reviewer Vape GeekQ8. Faris is the Arabic word for Knight so the idea behind the name is a Knight is versatile as is the Faris which can be used as both an RDTA and RDA with equal vigour. I find in recent times flavour with RDTA's have been comparable to RDA's with better airflow designs getting air to the bottom of the coils and not just the sides but their are some that after not being impressed with the flavour from earlier RDTA's have made their minds up. Maybe the Faris will make them reconsider as although the Faris comes set up in RDTA form looking at the deck and airflow the Faris has been designed as an RDA foremost so will give equal flavour in both forms. As usual Wotofo have also been generous when it comes to extras and spares so let's give the versatile Faris a good look!

In the Box

Contents:

Wotofo Faris RDTA, resin drip tip, 3ml glass (2ml frosted EU)
Wicking port block
Spare 810 drip tip
2ml frosted glass
Bag of Framed Staple Clapton coils
Rod tool
Agleted Japanese cotton
RDA base plate
Philips Screwdriver
Allen key
BF pin
O-rings and screws
User manual

Aesthetics

The Faris came in the usual Wotofo Green cardboard packaging with viewing window allowing me to see i had received the Black version, it's also available in Gunmetal, Rainbow, Stainless Steel and Gold. All versions come with an installed goon style coloured resin drip tip the one included with the Black version is Red, you also receive a Black delrin drip tip. The Faris comes set up as an RDTA and at the bottom we have the 3ml capacity glass section (a 2ml frosted glass section with EU version). The base has plenty of bold printed branding in White as well as safety stamps, the Faris comes with a pre-installed Gold plated BF pin, the bottom section is securely press fitted and is hybrid safe. The top section which can be turned into both a standard and BF RDA has an engraved logo on the front and small duel airflow slots, when open you can see 3 holes with silver surround through the slots which is the airflow outlets of the deck. Towards the bottom of the Faris we have etched castle top effect encircling the Faris, the top has the same effect but achieved by the outer sleeve having blunted teeth edging which gives the impression it interlocks with the top-cap. In keeping with the name "Faris" or "Knight" the whole look is a bit medieval which aesthetically i like. Apart from having very stiff airflow control adjustment the build quality, o-ring thickness and tolerances are spot on and also very good machining.

Faris Specs and Features:

RDTA configuration = 24x44mm
RDA configuration = 24x36mm
Tank capacity: 3ml
Material: stainless steel and Pyrex
Drip Tip: Coloured resin, 810 sized
Insulator Material: PEEK
Filling: Side fill or bottom feed (squonk filling)
Adjustable side airflow
Drip tip: 810
Convert between RDA and RDTA and Squonker
Postless deck for single or dual coil builds
Thread: 510
Colour: Gunmetal, Rainbow, Stainless Steel, Gold, Black

Included coil specs:

Framed Staple Clapton Coil
28G+38Gx9+28G+36G; Ni80
ID 3mm
0.33ohm

Squonk or Standard

The Faris can be used as both a standard RDTA and RDA or can be used with bottom feed in both forms. When using the faris as an RDTA with the standard pin it uses a side-fill method to fill the tank. If you pull the sleeve off on the side of the deck between 2 of the post screws is a fill port with a silicone bung, simply remove the bung and fill, the port is big enough for gorilla nozzles but any bigger could be a messy affair. If you were to lose the bung as with everything else there is a spare. The Faris comes set-up as an RDTA in squonk mode, because the tank can be changed into an RDA you have 2 pins that join together in RDTA mode. The main pin is installed into the 510 at the bottom of the RDA and is a BF pin, the tank section has a shorter 510 pin and the hole in the centre goes right through both ends, this small pin is just press fitted into the centre of the 510 on the bottom of the tank section but is a nice tight fit. When you fix the tank section onto the RDA section the RDA 510 threading screws inside the centre tube of the tank section joining the 2 pins together so the liquid can travel straight through when you press the squonk bottle, the liquid feeds up and comes out 2 holes (one either side) just underneath the deck to fill your tank. When in RDA mode where the liquid comes out the pin has now become your juice well so works like any other BF RDA. If you want to use the RDA has a standard dripper simply change for the standard pin supplied, there is also a solid shorter pin that can be press fitted into the the bottom of the tank section if you want to use it as a standard RDTA using the side fill i have already explained. I tried the Faris as a bottom feed RDA, a bottom feed RDTA and a standard RDTA before then using it for the remainder of the time back as a BF RDTA. I must admit because i didn't try it has a standard dripper when i used it has a side fill RDTA i simply swapped the press fitted bottom pin and it worked fine.

Changing from RDTA to RDA

This has mostly been explained in the previous section, both the deck section and tank section has 510 threading with 510 pins and when putting the RDTA together the 510 threading of the deck section screws into the centre tube of the tank section joining them together. On the bottom of the deck section there is also an o-ring sealing the glass. When you want to use the Faris as an RDA unscrew the tank section, you now have the bottom section of the RDA with 510 but no base, what you do have is a void underneath the deck which will become your juice well. You get supplied with an RDA base plate which is essentially a disc with a hole in the centre for the 510 to fit through, it also has a lip with threading and it screws onto the bottom leaving you with a completed RDA base section with deck.

Single Coil

I got sent the Faris before the National Day holidays so have had a good play with it only not using it has a standard dripper. I first used it has it came in BF RDTA mode and tried a single build seeing has you get supplied inserts to reduce the juice ports for the reduced amount of cotton used with a single build. I wont go into details about the build as that will be done in a later section, the first thing worth mentioning is the inserts work well so no complaints there. The flavour with the single build i did was no great shakes, it wasn't flavourless by any means but certainly down on the flavour i have experienced using other recently reviewed atty's. The deck is spacious even for a duel build so i believe the problem was the coil when doing a single build is just too far away from the airflow and the air is acting more as a flavour killer. Those using much chunkier coils may well get decent flavour with a single build but in my opinion this is a duel build deck that you can just happen to be able to do a single build on.

The Airflow

The Sleeve has duel short slots one either side and the top-cap inserts inside the outer sleeve and covers the slots but has 2 cutouts the same size has the slots one either side. As you turn the top-cap and these cut-outs line up with the outer slots the airflow opens. When the sleeve is pushed onto the deck (secured by 2 o-rings) there is a little notch each side so the sleeve can only fully go on when lined up perfectly with the airflow sections on the deck. Rather than having airflow slots on the deck we have 3 good sized holes either side, they are position on raised walls one either side of the deck. The walls are quite thick which allows for the holes to be machined at a steep angle so airflow will not just hit the sides of the coils but also get right underneath. With the airflow wide open all three holes are visible through the slots you can now turn the top-cap to adjust and have how ever many of the holes open as you want. When i first received the Faris not only was the top-cap stiff i couldn't turn it at all so wouldn't be able to adjust airflow, after a lot of effort to manage to separate the top-cap from the outer sleeve (very tight) i put some e-liquid on the o-ring then adjusting wasn't any problem but it's still on the tight side.

The Deck and Build

As mentioned there are 2 raised airflow walls one either side and also on the outside on the side underneath the build area we have the filling port. This leaves a wide open spacious build area made even more spacious as the Faris has a postless deck. There are 4 terminals making a single build also an option has previously covered but in my opinion unless you are using a chunky coil the Faris is far more suited to a duel build. You get a very simple but very handy tool which is a "L" shaped rod, you feed the long section of the rod through your coil and line your coil legs up with the short section and snip where the coil is the same length as the rod section this leaves your legs now the perfect length for the build. The grub screws with Philip heads are on the outer sides of the deck so undo to open your coil terminals (they are not massive terminals but big enough to fit good sized chunky coils if wanted). Fitting one coil at a time (already having your legs cut to the perfect length makes this possible) simply feed your legs in position and while holding the coil steady tighten the screws. Once both coils are done the already described tool is ideal to position your coils into the perfect position. You get provided with 2 pieces of shoelace style cotton so it's easy to feed the cotton through your coils to wick. I was quite generous with wicking, even more so when in RDTA mode all you really need to be careful of is you don't suffocate the wick port openings but they are a generous size. When doing a single build those wick ports are too generous but this has been thought of and you get provided with silicone inserts that reduces the size of the two wick ports.

You get 3 Ni80 framed staple claptons with 3mmID, with a resistance of 0.33ohm. When i did a single build it came out to 0.34ohm and my duel build 0.18ohm. It isn't a criticism as you get so much stuff included but to save the shoelace cotton for the duel build i used some other cotton for the single. Why only include 2 shoelace cotton pieces when 3 coils are provided?

My Experience Using the Faris

As already mentioned i started with a single build using the Faris has it arrived in BF RDTA form and was impressed with how it worked on a squonker, I have a couple of other RDTA's which use a BF pin and it really is my thing, but not helped by the fact i have had some products recently that give top-notch flavour with the single build the flavour was down. I am not saying it was flavourless but certainly room for improvement. Not overly impressed with a single build i took that out and did a duel build and swapped the bottom pin for the standard. Now the flavour of the Faris is very good, no make that excellent, filling via the side fill needs to be done with a thin nozzle or a bit of patience is needed else it can be a bit messy but other than that no complaints about the Faris in this mode. Next i took the tank section off and fitted the RDA base plate, i re-wicked using my own cotton, the only reason for this is i felt i had left the cotton ends a bit too long for using in RDA mode, i used the Faris as a BF RDA on the "Luxotic". As a BF RDA the Faris really is great with a generous juice well and steeply angled airflow i had no leaking issues of any kind and the flavour was the same excellent flavour i was getting when i used the Faris as an RDTA. I am not into using RDA's as standard drippers unless i am reviewing one and that's the only option so i gave trying the Faris as a standard dripper a miss and put the tank section back on with the bottom BF pin re-installed and carried on vaping this way, in fact i am vaping using the Faris on top of the Pico Squeeze 2 as i am writing this. Finally the airflow, it doesn't have masses of air but enough for any sort of restricted lung hit, i used it with all 3 holes open which was very smooth and the Faris isn't as quiet as a mouse but quieter (after all a mouse squeaks), you really could use the Faris in church (just tell the vicar it's "Frankincense").

Final Thoughts

The Faris is a very versatile combo atty, but it isn't a case of quantity rather than quality as the Faris gives equally excellent flavour as both an RDA and RDTA. In both forms it worked very well with a bottom feeder and i give it top marks apart from when it's used for a single build.

Superb build quality
Nice Aesthetically
Excellent flavour (duel build)
Choice of single or duel build
Bottom and side air coverage
Smooth airflow
Incredibly quiet
Flavour equally as good as RDA in RDTA mode
Side-fill RDTA
BF RDTA
Standard dripper
BF RDA
Performed great all 3 ways i used it
Loads of extras
Very useful rod tool
Generous juice well
Wick port inserts for single build
Easy build and wick
Postless deck (very spacious)
No leaking experienced

Cons

Not really suited to single build (lacking in flavour)
Airflow control tight
Unless using thin nozzles side-fill can be a bit messy

I would once again like to thank Antonio for supplying the Faris RDTA, RDA all in one for the purpose of this review.

https://www.wotofo.com/wotofo-faris-rdta.html

Is this the only version that went retail?
I really don't know it was ages ago, i think if i remember correctly the original samples had a few issues and it got improved before i got my hands on it!

Back