XTAR PB2 battery charger - Review

Hooked

Vapin' up a Storm
LV

Awards
I won this charger in the @XTAR competition https://www.ecigssa.co.za/giveaway-xtar-pb2-–-the-revolution-of-traditional-charger.t49258/

This is what it looked like when the parcel arrived:

This is the packet which was inside the courier packet. It had obviously been opened.

20180515_Packet opened.jpg

The charger wasn't in a box - was wrapped like this.
20180515_Wrapped.jpg

There was no charging cable and no operating manual.

I PMd the above photos to XTAR on 15 May, telling them that the inner packet had been opened and asking if they had sent the charger like that - just wrapped up. They did not reply.

The charger does not work, so I PMd XTAR again on 16 May, asking for an operating manual, since I couldn't find one on the Internet. They did not reply.

The charger looks simple enough to use. As with any electronic device, I charged it for a few hours before use, using one of my cables from my mods. While it was charging, blue lights flashed continuously. I assumed that they would stop flashing when it was fully charged. After a few hours they were still flashing. I left it on charge for a full 8 hours, as I know that some electronic devices must be charged for that amount of time when first using them. After 8 hours they were still flashing.

I inserted one 18650 battery into the charger. According to the blurb, it should take only 1.5 hrs to charge. It didn't charge at all. I inserted a different 18650, in case the fault had been with the battery. It didn't charge either. I inserted two 18650s in case the charger preferred two. They didn't charge either.

I attached my cellphone. It didn't charge either. At least with a cellphone you can see IF it's charging, but that little charging icon didn't move.

What a disappointing experience - not only that the charger does not work, but that XTAR has not replied to my PMs.

Sorry to hear about this @Hooked
What a pity

Did you take a photo of the actuak charger?

Sorry to hear about this @Hooked
What a pity

Did you take a photo of the actuak charger?

I haven't, but I can do. The appearance of the charger is good - it looks new.

And oops - just realised that I should have posted this in XTAR's forum? Pls. move it if you need to.

I haven't, but I can do. The appearance of the charger is good - it looks new.

And oops - just realised that I should have posted this in XTAR's forum? Pls. move it if you need to.

I think it would be a good idea to share a photo of the item you are reviewing

No need to post it in the XTAR subforum, its a review so can happily live here

@Hooked here's a rep on the forum - @XTAR - Try contacting him. Xtar make better than average gear - pity about your experience.

I won this charger in the @XTAR competition https://www.ecigssa.co.za/giveaway-xtar-pb2-–-the-revolution-of-traditional-charger.t49258/

This is the packet which was inside the courier packet. It had obviously been opened.

View attachment 132479

View attachment 132480

I PMd the above photos to XTAR on 15 May, telling them that the inner packet had been opened and asking if they had sent the charger like that - just wrapped up. They did not reply.

The charger does not work, so I PMd XTAR again on 16 May, asking for an operating manual, since I couldn't find one on the Internet. They did not reply.

The charger looks simple enough to use. As with any electronic device, I charged it for a few hours before use, using one of my cables from my mods. While it was charging, blue lights flashed continuously. I assumed that they would stop flashing when it was fully charged. After a few hours they were still flashing. I left it on charge for a full 8 hours, as I know that some electronic devices must be charged for that amount of time when first using them. After 8 hours they were still flashing.

I inserted one 18650 battery into the charger. According to the blurb, it should take only 1.5 hrs to charge. It didn't charge at all. I inserted a different 18650, in case the fault had been with the battery. It didn't charge either. I inserted two 18650s in case the charger preferred two. They didn't charge either.

I attached my cellphone. It didn't charge either. At least with a cellphone you can see IF it's charging, but that little charging icon didn't move.

What a disappointing experience - not only that the charger does not work, but that XTAR has not replied to my PMs.
Damn, that is just sad.

Regards

@RainstormZA Let's not jump to conclusions about bad service. I don't know if XTAR sent it like this, or perhaps it was removed from the box and re-wrapped en route. As I said, the internal package had clearly been opened. Perhaps it had been sent in a box, with a charging cable and instruction manual, but they were removed?

As far as it not working is concerned, perhaps there is something that I should be doing, but since I don't have an instruction manual, I don't know. I doubt it though. There's nothing on the charger which has to be set or anything - just a little button on the side which I assume is an On/Off button.

I'd like to give XTAR the benefit of the doubt, which is why I was waiting for their reply before doing the review. However, their not replying is bad service indeed!

@Hooked here's a rep on the forum - @XTAR - Try contacting him. Xtar make better than average gear - pity about your experience.

It was this person who contacted me about winning the comp and who sent me tracking details. And it is this person who I have PMd twice about the problem.

It was this person who contacted me about winning the comp and who sent me tracking details. And it is this person who I have PMd twice about the problem.

@BubiSparks Right at the beginning of my review I tagged XTAR, since they had asked me to do a review.

View attachment 132479

View attachment 132480

Hi,

I am really sorry for what happened to the package. According to the picture you showed, the package must be opened by someone. We sent the package to you with all the accessories included. As you can see, the outside package has been broken, so the PB2 should be broken during the transportation. We have strict and professional QC department. All the products are tested strictly before packing. Please do not worry. We will solve the problem for you.

Justin

Last edited:
Hi,

I am really sorry for what happened to the package. According to the picture you showed, the package must be opened by someone. We sent the package to you with all the accessories included. As you can see, the outside package has been broken, so the PB2 should be broken during the transportation. We have strict and professional QC department. All the products are tested strictly before packing. Please do not worry. We will solve the problem for you.

Justin
This is the kind of response one expects from a supplier. Kudos to @XTAR
@Hooked please keep us updated on the resolution

This is the kind of response one expects from a supplier. Kudos to @XTAR
@Hooked please keep us updated on the resolution

Absolutely - @XTAR could easily have stood on the obvious "in transit interference" explanation and walked away with head held high.

This is a "going above and beyond". Hats of to you @XTAR

Sent by iDad's iPhone

Update: I received a PM yesterday from XTAR, asking me to take a video of the charger so that they can show it to their tech guys. I will do so today.

Update: A few days ago XTAR sent me an operating manual and a video which they took in the office. How helpful is that!
I'm experimenting with the device this weekend ...

@RainstormZA

@XTAR

Final update @RainstormZA
To bring you all up to speed with what has been happening.

Firstly, XTAR has kept in contact with me via PMs and emails and I appreciate that.

As far as the charger is concerned:
Right at the beginning I tried to charge the charger itself, as that is the norm with a power bank. XTAR then informed me that there is no need to charge the charger and that I just need to insert the batteries.

I did that, but the batteries didn't charge. XTAR emailed an operating manual to me, if you could call it that. The operating manual does not give any instructions. It only tells you what it means when lights are flashing, while the PB2 is charging batteries.

XTAR then sent me a video which was obviously taken in their office. I appreciate the fact that they took the trouble to do so. I can't upload it since the forum doesn't accept MP4s.

The video showed that I must insert the batteries, use a cable to plug the PB2 into a charging port, then switch it on. I inserted two 18650 batteries, one of which had no power left and the other had a little, as shown by my mod. Blue numerals started flashing, indicating that the batteries were being charged.

According to the blurb on XTAR's website, it the PB2 can "fully charge ... 2 x 18650 batteries in 3 hrs. However, after 4 hours my batteries were still charging. I removed them and put them in mods to see how much power they had and I could see that they were not completely charged yet - at a guess I would say that they were about 80% charged.

I have not tried to charge my phone yet and neither do I intend to. I have a Samsung smart charger which is very quick.

My questions thus are:
1. What's the point of using the PB2, when my batteries charge faster in a Nitecor?
2. I was under the impression that the PB2 is a portable charger. How can it be portable if I need to plug it in?

I'm done. I'm not prepared to spend more time and more stress on the PB2.

Last edited:
@XTAR

Final update @RainstormZA
To bring you all up to speed with what has been happening.

Firstly, XTAR has kept in contact with me via PMs and emails and I appreciate that.

As far as the charger is concerned:
Right at the beginning I tried to charge the charger itself, as that is the norm with a power bank. XTAR then informed me that there is no need to charge the charger and that I just need to insert the batteries.

I did that, but the batteries didn't charge. XTAR emailed an operating manual to me, if you could call it that. The operating manual does not give any instructions. It only tells you what it means when lights are flashing, while the PB2 is charging batteries.

XTAR then sent me a video which was obviously taken in their office. I appreciate the fact that they took the trouble to do so. I can't upload it since the forum doesn't accept MP4s.

The video showed that I must insert the batteries, use a cable to plug the PB2 into a charging port, then switch it on. I inserted two 18650 batteries, one of which had no power left and the other had a little, as shown by my mod. Blue numerals started flashing, indicating that the batteries were being charged.

According to the blurb on XTAR's website, it the PB2 can "fully charge ... 2 x 18650 batteries in 3 hrs. However, after 4 hours my batteries were still charging. I removed them and put them in mods to see how much power they had and I could see that they were not completely charged yet - at a guess I would say that they were about 80% charged.

I have not tried to charge my phone yet and neither do I intend to. I have a Samsung smart charger which is very quick.

My questions thus are:
1. What's the point of using the PB2, when my batteries charge faster in a Nitecor?
2. I was under the impression that the PB2 is a portable charger. How can it be portable if I need to plug it in?

I'm done. I'm not prepared to spend more time and more stress on the PB2.
@Hooked, Seems the idea is that you charge your 18650 in the charger. Once charged and left in the charger you can then use the device to charge something else from the batteries you charged in it. It is thus a power bank that stores it's charge in user replaceable cells.

In terms of the charging time, sure it can and indeed will charge a couple of 1500mAh 18650's in a very short time. Charging time will also be affected by the supply current. The charge time when plugged into a 1A power supply will be double that of using a 2A supply. If stated performance was based on charging two 2500mAh cells on a 2A supply and you are charging two 3000mAh cells on a 500mA supply from a PC USB port results will be very different.

Regards

Last edited:
I have to agree with @Raindance

You need fully charged battery cells in there to use it a a power bank.

Screenshot_2018-06-02-14-58-50.png

With that option, you can easily charge your USB devices - phone or USB enabled mod when you are out and about.

Back