Flavour and throat hit seeker
Staff member
Administrator
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
Hi all

Just a question - perhaps for the more experienced forum members....

When you post a public post and you ask someone in the previous post a question - and then they respond later below - what is the best way to acknowledge their comment or say "thanks" ?

You could either post "thanks" - but then all those following the thread get a new message notification.

Or you could just Like their post.

What's the "correct" way to do this?

Personally it's personal preference I don't think any of the experienced guys are looking for thanks when they offer advise however it is always nice when someone acknowledges your efforts in a more pronounced manner ie saying thank you directly .
I have read forums where members thank you in advance to avoid not thanking you at all

Again just my 2c

sent from my EviC 2.0

Don't mean to give gizmo more work but the is a thank you button on some forums much like our like button
* runs away before gizmo reads post*

sent from my EviC 2.0

or you can just click the 'reply' button and that will quote the post you would like to thank.

much like this:

Hi all

Just a question - perhaps for the more experienced forum members....

When you post a public post and you ask someone in the previous post a question - and then they respond later below - what is the best way to acknowledge their comment or say "thanks" ?

You could either post "thanks" - but then all those following the thread get a new message notification.

Or you could just Like their post.

What's the "correct" way to do this?

thank you

This has been a problem for me on ECF as well. A "like" will usually do, but sometimes one wishes to have a better "thank you" than just that. I have asked Gizmo to include a "thank you" on our new and improved like bar, which could help some, but the dilemma remains albeit maybe a little diminished then. Maybe a solution is to have your own rating system:
  1. A simple "thank you" in a normal (oral) conversation would have been sufficient - an acknowledgement on the like bar is the way to go in such cases, which should be the majority.
  2. Of some importance to me - Send a PM to the responder to say thank you.
  3. Of great importance - Say "thank you" appropriately by way of a posting.
That all said, it has never irked or irritated me to read a "thank you" posting following a new message notification. Wonder how other members have experienced such "thank you" postings? Maybe somewhat irksome if you follow via a mobile device?

Fantastic reply guys, thanks.

I agree with your comments Matthee. Gizmo, that would be a great addition to the "Like bar" if its possible.

Back