This is a good place to start?

I have placed an order for a Smok Alien Kit and 2 batteries.

Will you be charging the batteries in the mod? I read a Reddit post on Alien charging and it wasn't very complimentary about Smok's system. Iirc Mooch was also skeptical about charging in the mod, and horrified that the Alien uses "floating charging", whatever that is. I'm not sure if the Smok has bypass charging but, if not, will you simply not vape while the batteries are charging?

I'm a big fan of getting two setups to start with, along with an external charger. It means you have a backup if one setup fails, and also that you can vape one setup while charging the other. If buying a second setup is too much, I'd at least get a second set of batteries so that you can vape one set while charging the other.

Buying two setups does cut your budget per setup in half. But having a really fancy mod and tank is no good if the mod's 510 or circuit board packs up, or you break a post or the PEEK insulator in the tank, or you drop your setup in the bath or have it stolen at a party, etc. That's the shortest and surest way to get back on the cigarettes. Even if it meant buying two Picos and two clone drippers, I'd rather have two rigs from the get-go.

That said, I don't think you'll go wrong with the Alien. Enjoy and welcome to the start of a long and wondrous journey!

Will you be charging the batteries in the mod? I read a Reddit post on Alien charging and it wasn't very complimentary about Smok's system. Iirc Mooch was also skeptical about charging in the mod, and horrified that the Alien uses "floating charging", whatever that is. I'm not sure if the Smok has bypass charging but, if not, will you simply not vape while the batteries are charging?

I'm a big fan of getting two setups to start with, along with an external charger. It means you have a backup if one setup fails, and also that you can vape one setup while charging the other. If buying a second setup is too much, I'd at least get a second set of batteries so that you can vape one set while charging the other.

Buying two setups does cut your budget per setup in half. But having a really fancy mod and tank is no good if the mod's 510 or circuit board packs up, or you break a post or the PEEK insulator in the tank, or you drop your setup in the bath or have it stolen at a party, etc. That's the shortest and surest way to get back on the cigarettes. Even if it meant buying two Picos and two clone drippers, I'd rather have two rigs from the get-go.

That said, I don't think you'll go wrong with the Alien. Enjoy and welcome to the start of a long and wondrous journey!
I'm most probably going to get a second set of batteries and a charger for now. A second setup will come a little while later as i have seen a few i like.

@Jonas Napo - There have been reputable vendors that are members on this site that have been duped with fake batteries. They recalled them when they became aware of the issue. Phoenix Vapes may believe that his Sony's are genuine as it's so hard to tell, but at that price it's almost guaranteed that they are fake and as a vendor, the price he paid for them should have raised questions for him if he knows the industry - "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch".

@Jonas Napo - There have been reputable vendors that are members on this site that have been duped with fake batteries. They recalled them when they became aware of the issue. Phoenix Vapes may believe that his Sony's are genuine as it's so hard to tell, but at that price it's almost guaranteed that they are fake and as a vendor, the price he paid for them should have raised questions for him if he knows the industry - "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch".
My order is waiting for me at home. Would you be able to tell me what are the main things i should look for?

Maybe try reading this article to start with. There is quite a lot of info on the net about fakes. Although even with that, it's often hard to tell a fake from an authentic.

Maybe try reading this article to start with. There is quite a lot of info on the net about fakes. Although even with that, it's often hard to tell a fake from an authentic.
Unfortunately that's true. It's often only noticed when you try to draw 18A from a battery that's "apparently" rated at 20A but is actually closer to 12A. Boom.

It would be highly unusual for every vendor to price every battery high by around the same amount. Almost all vendors charge R160-R200 for the Sony, Samsung and LG 18650s which are popular in vaping. If it was R150, you could maybe believe it was a special. But R100 sounds way too low. There are also other vendors (i.e. not vaping) who sell 18650s and their prices are quite similar. You can get a bit cheaper but only if you buy in bulk.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to tell if a battery is fake. Even at R180, a battery can be fake. So you pays yer money and you takes yer chances. Let's just say that your chances are better when you pay R180-R200 for a battery than when you pay R100. Although, as I say, there are no guarantees that the more expensive ones are genuine, nor even that the cheaper ones are fake. But I'd at least want to hear an explanation from the vendor as to why he can retail batteries so cheaply.

Totally agree!

with your budget I suggest getting 2 modz :) one of which should be a tarot nano from vaporesso

These are the batteries I have received20170601_170403.jpg 20170601_170416.jpg 20170601_170403.jpg 20170601_170416.jpg 20170601_170445.jpg 20170601_170403.jpg 20170601_170416.jpg 20170601_170445.jpg

Hey @Jonas Napo , I'm no expert telling genuine batteries from fakes. LG turd fakes had a glossy finish to the positive insulator/ washer while the genuine ones where matte and a little rough. Genuine 18650's weigh over 42g - weigh yours and if under 40g, that could indicate a fake.

All I can say is that I can't recall any Sony Li-Ion 18650 selling for under R200 on local vendor sites. Did you follow the link provided by @RichJB above?

There are only a few manufacturers of these cells and they resell units that don't pass their QC tests. These cells are generally still good, but not as good as the ones they put their name on. The cells are then rewrapped by third party companies (eg. EFEST) often with pretty wild specs. Then you also have Chinese companies that hide a smaller cell inside an 18650 casing and wrap the thing with any brand they want....

Useful link: https://www.ecigssa.co.za/bad-news-on-lg-hg2s.t22653/

Hey @Jonas Napo , I'm no expert telling genuine batteries from fakes. LG turd fakes had a glossy finish to the positive insulator/ washer while the genuine ones where matte and a little rough. Genuine 18650's weigh over 42g - weigh yours and if under 40g, that could indicate a fake.

All I can say is that I can't recall any Sony Li-Ion 18650 selling for under R200 on local vendor sites. Did you follow the link provided by @RichJB above?

There are only a few manufacturers of these cells and they resell units that don't pass their QC tests. These cells are generally still good, but not as good as the ones they put their name on. The cells are then rewrapped by third party companies (eg. EFEST) often with pretty wild specs. Then you also have Chinese companies that hide a smaller cell inside an 18650 casing and wrap the thing with any brand they want....

Thank you that was very insightful. I weighed them and they come up at 44.5g and 44.7g.

Everything seems to be working well. Batteries last me atleast two days.

Back