Battery lower cutoff voltage for testing

blujeenz

Loafing since 2013
LV

Awards
I got hold of a capacity tester from Mantech, the ZB2L3 and was wondering what I should set the lower voltage cutoff point to?

I see Mooch uses 2.5V as the cutoff, but the auto test function uses 3v as the cutoff.

zb2l3.jpg

Hi Bluejeenz,
Most battery manufacturers use 2.5 to 2.7 Volts as their cutoff, (I suspect to give them higher Ah readings, as all their other measurements are to a low point of 3V) ... I measure to / adjust the cutoff to 3V and the top end to 4.18V to extend the lifespan.

Hi Bluejeenz,
Most battery manufacturers use 2.5 to 2.7 Volts as their cutoff, (I suspect to give them higher Ah readings, as all their other measurements are to a low point of 3V) ... I measure to / adjust the cutoff to 3V and the top end to 4.18V to extend the lifespan.
Thanks for the info, I see the Samsung datasheet says cutoff of 2.5v, but I mostly use only down to 3.7v in a vape.
I guess 1 time test wont hurt them too much.

For what its worth, my laptop batt was replaced so I opened up the old one.
6 x UR18650F sposed to be 2200mah but mine were only 868mah.

Yet a 10yr old Makita pack inr18650 15u sposed to be 1500mah, my ones came in at 1373mah.

Checked out my 2017 Athena eNVy 22, spec is 3200mah and mine is now on 2932mah.

Interesting stuff.

Thanks for the info, I see the Samsung datasheet says cutoff of 2.5v, but I mostly use only down to 3.7v in a vape.
I guess 1 time test wont hurt them too much.

For what its worth, my laptop batt was replaced so I opened up the old one.
6 x UR18650F sposed to be 2200mah but mine were only 868mah.

Yet a 10yr old Makita pack inr18650 15u sposed to be 1500mah, my ones came in at 1373mah.

Checked out my 2017 Athena eNVy 22, spec is 3200mah and mine is now on 2932mah.

Interesting stuff.
You're welcome :--)
WRT replacement cells, I've been replacing power tools and laptop cells with Samsung 35E cells for a few months now, increasing their questionable claimed 1500 - 2600mAh cells to 3350mAh, and bonus ... they're the same price as 26J's, (which are 2600mah cells!)
I've even started using them in my mods, (I can as I vape MTL on low power), and ... I get a weeks use from a single charge :inlove: ... O and my tests on the 35E's show closer to 3500mAh @ 2.5V, and they match their rating of a little over 3350mAh when discharged to 3V :--)

You're welcome :--)
WRT replacement cells, I've been replacing power tools and laptop cells with Samsung 35E cells for a few months now, increasing their questionable claimed 1500 - 2600mAh cells to 3350mAh, and bonus ... they're the same price as 26J's, (which are 2600mah cells!)
I've even started using them in my mods, (I can as I vape MTL on low power), and ... I get a weeks use from a single charge :inlove: ... O and my tests on the 35E's show closer to 3500mAh @ 2.5V, and they match their rating of a little over 3350mAh when discharged to 3V :--)
Sorry didn't mean to 1678022477736_tdy_sun_kirsch_ohio_derailment_230305_1920x1080-533rl2.jpg
How's the Howells doing?

Sorry didn't mean to View attachment 270320
How's the Howells doing?
Hi Resistance,
I tested them up to 600 Cycles and there was still less than a 5% variance as I recall, and they then made their way into the infamous PIF Box along with two dual battery mods and a couple of dual coil attys ... I stand corrected, but believe the respective recipient vapers are still using them happily.
Them Howell Cells are better than a lot of so called branded cells sold in SA :campeon: ...

You must be up to close to 600 cycles yourself thinking about it :think: ... How are yours performing?

Last edited:
Hi Resistance,
I tested them up to 600 Cycles and there was still less than a 5% variance as I recall, and they then made their way into the infamous PIF Box along with two dual battery mods and a couple of dual coil attys ... I stand corrected, but believe the respective recipient vapers are still using them happily.
Them Howell Cells are better than a lot of so called branded cells sold in SA :campeon: ...

You must be up to close to 600 cycles yourself thinking about it :think: ... How are yours performing?
Performance is excellent, I haven't used them too much recently. Been on pods mostly with the occasional mod here and there.

Back