Battery wrap torn

I used to use the battery mainly in the nemesis with 0.2ohm builds. Was recently using in another electronic device and removing battery from there the whole time was what caused the wrapping to rip.

thanks @Derick. I definitely need to get a few more batteries. Like now I'm in a situation with barely a backup 18650.

I have confidence that I can do the wrapping. The size on the stuff is what I'm really not sure of.
Cool, yeah because of the 2:1 ratio, you can go almost double the 18mm diameter of the battery, I say almost, because although it is a 2:1 shrink ratio, not all of them shrink exactly 2:1 - so anything from 20mm to around 30mm should do the job, generally the bigger they are the thicker the material, so get 20mm if you can - then just heat with a hairdryer - that should be enough to make it shrink and not too hot to damage the battery.

There's a video somewhere of how it is done, will see if I can find it

Cool, yeah because of the 2:1 ratio, you can go almost double the 18mm diameter of the battery, I say almost, because although it is a 2:1 shrink ratio, not all of them shrink exactly 2:1 - so anything from 20mm to around 30mm should do the job, generally the bigger they are the thicker the material, so get 20mm if you can - then just heat with a hairdryer - that should be enough to make it shrink and not too hot to damage the battery.

There's a video somewhere of how it is done, will see if I can find it

Thanks. @zadiac posted a video yesterday on how to do it as well. I'm going to scout around so long just because it's urgent. But if I don't come right by the time you have your stock in then I'm getting it from skyblue

Thanks. @zadiac posted a video yesterday on how to do it as well. I'm going to scout around so long just because it's urgent. But if I don't come right by the time you have your stock in then I'm getting it from skyblue
Cool, if you're in a bind, some electrical insulation tape will work in the short term

Cool, if you're in a bind, some electrical insulation tape will work in the short term

To be honest I'm too scared to take the chance with just tape :giggle:.

To be honest I'm too scared to take the chance with just tape :giggle:.
Heh, up to you - basically the whole outside of the battery is the negative post, and it is just separated from the positive post by a little rubber/plastic grommet around the positive side. So especially with mech mods, if the exposed side of the battery makes contact with the side of the mod it can cause shorts and heating. So as long as you prevent that from happening it should be ok.

Electrical insulation tape can't take as much heat as shrink wrap though, and batteries in sub ohm devices tend to heat up a bit, so that is why it is a short term solution only

Heh, up to you - basically the whole outside of the battery is the negative post, and it is just separated from the positive post by a little rubber/plastic grommet around the positive side. So especially with mech mods, if the exposed side of the battery makes contact with the side of the mod it can cause shorts and heating. So as long as you prevent that from happening it should be ok.

Electrical insulation tape can't take as much heat as shrink wrap though, and batteries in sub ohm devices tend to heat up a bit, so that is why it is a short term solution only

Gonna give it a go and just use the lemo with a higher build so long

Depends on how badly damaged the old wrapping is and what device the battery will be going into to. If you double insulate it could be too tight for the device

Do I have to remove the old wrap before insulating it?
It's going to depend, how bad is the old wrap?.

You can generally just wrap some electrical tape around the exposed part, as long as all of it is covered and your battery will still fit in the device, you should be good

It's going to depend, how bad is the old wrap?.

You can generally just wrap some electrical tape around the exposed part, as long as all of it is covered and your battery will still fit in the device, you should be good

Only the top part is damaged. But if I overlap the old wrap it doesn't fit in the nemesis.

Only the top part is damaged. But if I overlap the old wrap it doesn't fit in the nemesis.
Yikes, well then you can remove the old wrap and cover the whole thing with electrical tape, but it would have to be done carefully so that you do not have any area exposed that could come into contact with the mod - I think it is probably easier to go with some heat shrink then :)

Remove the old wrap.

a Bit late to this convo, but I had one re-wrapped at Just Batteries in Benoni.

So didn't get a chance to look for any places for the wrap. Tried insulating it with electric tape but now it won't fit in the nemesis.
I suppose I'll hang ten until @Derick gets stock

LOL, so was reading through the thread yesterday, and noticed a crack in the sleeve of one of my Efests this morning ... will have to get some from @Derick as well :D

LOL, so was reading through the thread yesterday, and noticed a crack in the sleeve of one of my Efests this morning ... will have to get some from @Derick as well :D

Buy more batteries from them. They going to throw some I with that.

Back