Calling the MTL guru's

DougP

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
I have found the style of vape that ticks all my boxes.

70/30 freebase 6mg juice
Vaporesso XROS mini (old version)
0.8 ohm pod.
This setup gives a tight MTL draw with low wattage and tons of flavor.
The only problem I have with this setup is that I fly through replacement pods which is becoming pricey.

My question to the MTL experts is:
What rebuildable RTA would be able to replicate this setup and what coil build.

Sent from my CPH2357 using Tapatalk

Managed to get a Hellvape MD RTA.

Anybody using this RTA willing to share their own recommended coil build (wire, wraps and ID) for a good MTL vape on freebase 70/30 6mg juice.

I'm still loving the sure rta in mtl mode with 0.9mm pin and 28guage kanthal 7 wrap on 2.5mm bit, reeich is every 3 days but so consistent, bp mods did this thing justice and I rate it my top mtl, better than my dwarw 16 and 24mm mtls

I'm still loving the sure rta in mtl mode with 0.9mm pin and 28guage kanthal 7 wrap on 2.5mm bit, reeich is every 3 days but so consistent, bp mods did this thing justice and I rate it my top mtl, better than my dwarw 16 and 24mm mtls
The Sure is very good, the only thing that stops me recommending it is how many on their Facebook page showed photos of the inside of the top tank section got snapped were the chimney screws into it to secure the tank! I personally haven't had an issue but with how much I prefer a few other MTL RTA's I haven't used it that much.

@Timwis , what are your favourite mtl rta's ?

I like the Mea Culpa, Echo, Bishop, Moka, Expro 4

Pioneer also very good when purring but wicking can cause nightmare's and I personally also like the Glas Mini but not many airflow options (just sits right in the middle of my wheelhouse)

These though are just my opinion, we are now spoilt for choice and especially MTL vaping can be quite a personal thing!

Managed to get a Hellvape MD RTA.

Anybody using this RTA willing to share their own recommended coil build (wire, wraps and ID) for a good MTL vape on freebase 70/30 6mg juice.

Same story, with simple coils it's Awesome. 24g plain stainless worked for me

Yeah and you can't really go wrong with Vapefly's MTL Tanks! I rarely squonk these days else the Galaxies MTL RDTA would be right up there.
I don't squonk them either. Would like to try one on squonk mode but, haven't changed the pin yet. :facepalm:

I don't squonk them either. Would like to try one on squonk mode but, haven't changed the pin yet. :facepalm:
That's how I used it on top the Pico Squeeze I found for an RDTA the capacity was far too low using it with the standard pin but I MTL with quite low resistant coil so plough through e-liquid quickly.

Same here. I haven't done a proper high resistance coil in a while so fill up about 5 to 10 times a day depending. Sometimes I'm so busy I don't even fill up 5 times but that's few and far between.
A 100ml last about a week and now running two I get a bit longer use on a 100ml because one is set for MTL and one for MTL /RDL

@Timwis , what are your favourite mtl rta's ?

This is my top 10 MTL RTA list:
  1. Mea Culpa
  2. Glaz Mini
  3. Echo
  4. The Bishop
  5. Expro 4
  6. Taifun GTR
  7. Reaper V3
  8. Moka
  9. Pioneer
  10. Nevermore
And of course I like any version of Doggystyle!
:ok_hand:

Cotton Secret??? What is this Sorcery?
All I will say is; South Africa produces a large proportion of the worlds cotton, so why would a South African Vaper go to the lengths they do in a vain attempt to discover the very product that's right here on your doorstep :oops: ... and with that comment the infamous wicking debate that is as old as the vaping industry and has never reached conclusion is rekindled :giggle:

All I will say is; South Africa produces a large proportion of the worlds cotton, so why would a South African Vaper go to the lengths they do in a vain attempt to discover the very product that's right here on your doorstep :oops: ... and with that comment the infamous wicking debate that is as old as the vaping industry and has never reached conclusion is rekindled :giggle:
On the subject of cotton and despite never picking up on it when I used to dabble with TC from time to time is how much longer a build lasts when vaping in TC rather than power modes. 25 days ago did a titanium build in lethal RTA and a week later a little MTL titanium build, fair enough only solely vaped the Lethal for a week before switching to the Echo MTL build mainly ever since with just a vape every now and then using the lethal.

Last night the tank had run very low (echo with Mtl build) so tested the temp protect and it throttled back as the tank ran dry until giving no power once the cotton was dry and couldn't believe my eyes, I have not re-wicked in the whole two and half weeks of vaping yet the cotton was white (and when I say white I mean white) and coil in really good order so just filled and carried on vaping as it won't need a re-wick any time soon. So I then had a look at the build in the Lethal and both cotton and coil are pristine, if I had been vaping these two RTA's for the same time frame in power mode the Lethal would of needed re-wicking twice and the Echo 4 or 5 times as well as plenty of work with a toothbrush!

The strange thing is I have vaped SS and SS/Ni80 hybrids using Replay for years so in theory I should of got similar results with them but I needed to re-wick exactly the same as in power mode!

So, suggesting normal store bought cotton? ‍♂️

As long as it's not bleached or gone through chemical processes cotton is cotton, I think vaping cotton we just know it's fit for purpose rather than a bag of multiuse cotton in a shop you have to do a bit of research (although all that research might be is reading the small print on the bag).

On the subject of cotton and despite never picking up on it when I used to dabble with TC from time to time is how much longer a build lasts when vaping in TC rather than power modes. 25 days ago did a titanium build in lethal RTA and a week later a little MTL titanium build, fair enough only solely vaped the Lethal for a week before switching to the Echo MTL build mainly ever since with just a vape every now and then using the lethal.

Last night the tank had run very low (echo with Mtl build) so tested the temp protect and it throttled back as the tank ran dry until giving no power once the cotton was dry and couldn't believe my eyes, I have not re-wicked in the whole two and half weeks of vaping yet the cotton was white (and when I say white I mean white) and coil in really good order so just filled and carried on vaping as it won't need a re-wick any time soon. So I then had a look at the build in the Lethal and both cotton and coil are pristine, if I had been vaping these two RTA's for the same time frame in power mode the Lethal would of needed re-wicking twice and the Echo 4 or 5 times as well as plenty of work with a toothbrush!

The strange thing is I have vaped SS and SS/Ni80 hybrids using Replay for years so in theory I should of got similar results with them but I needed to re-wick exactly the same as in power mode!
Truth! :--) ... IF you could keep your coil / cotton saturated, and at temperatures as close as possible to required atomisation temperatures, 290 degrees C, which is the boiling point for Glycerol, and as that tempreture exceeds the 188,2 °C to boil Propylene Glycol, it includes it ... then you would in theory have a wick and coil that would last forever ... in practice, weeeeeeeeeeell ... different story, however TC goes a long way to keep that temperature in the safe zone.

Truth! :--) ... IF you could keep your coil / cotton saturated, and at temperatures as close as possible to required atomisation temperatures, 290 degrees C, which is the boiling point for Glycerol, and as that tempreture exceeds the 188,2 °C to boil Propylene Glycol, it includes it ... then you would in theory have a wick and coil that would last forever ... in practice, weeeeeeeeeeell ... different story, however TC goes a long way to keep that temperature in the safe zone.
Yeah when you think about it unless you are regimental in how often you have a puff (leaving time for complete coil cool down between each puff) and always taking a puff of the same length of time using power modes doesn't really control the vape as the vape experience is the liquid vaporising which is controlled by the temperature of the coil, vaping with 30w input for 2 seconds with a starting point of the coil being cold is going to be chalk and cheese to a 30w 4 second vape when you had only just took a vape a second previous so the coil is already hot before even applying more wattage, i wonder just how hot a coil gets when someone chain vapes.

Yeah when you think about it unless you are regimental in how often you have a puff (leaving time for complete coil cool down between each puff) and always taking a puff of the same length of time using power modes doesn't really control the vape as the vape experience is the liquid vaporising which is controlled by the temperature of the coil, vaping with 30w input for 2 seconds with a starting point of the coil being cold is going to be chalk and cheese to a 30w 4 second vape when you had only just took a vape a second previous so the coil is already hot before even applying more wattage, i wonder just how hot a coil gets when someone chain vapes.
it's an interesting experiment to conduct :think: ... there should be an old post on ecigssa where TC was tested and it proved the boiling / atomisation point, concurrently showing the inaccuracy of mods TC controls temp settings as I recall, but no maximum temps were measured

With TC (if the TC is fit for purpose on the particular mod) as long as the chip knows the cold ohms of the coil and the correct TCR is inputted then it can accurately (guess) the temperature of the coil at any given time by the moving resistance of the coil (this is why only certain wire works because the resistance needs to constantly move to guess the temperature, the mod then throttles back on output when needed to keep the temperature below the limit (the limit the user inputs) so how the ohms is moving also will tell the chip if the coil was cold, warm or hot to begin with so on a good TC device remains accurate and constantly controls the temperature, yes you can set wattage for TC but it's very much secondary to how the vape is controlled and will never override temperature settings.

I did use "GUESS" that's because no mod has a temperature sensor but uses algorithms' with the info detailed but devices with chips with wide bandwidths such as DNA devices it's not just a guess or educated guess but more of a genius guess as they are so accurate!

With TC (if the TC is fit for purpose on the particular mod) as long as the chip knows the cold ohms of the coil and the correct TCR is inputted then it can accurately (guess) the temperature of the coil at any given time by the moving resistance of the coil (this is why only certain wire works because the resistance needs to constantly move to guess the temperature, the mod then throttles back on output when needed to keep the temperature below the limit (the limit the user inputs) so how the ohms is moving also will tell the chip if the coil was cold, warm or hot to begin with so on a good TC device remains accurate and constantly controls the temperature, yes you can set wattage for TC but it's very much secondary to how the vape is controlled and will never override temperature settings.

I did use "GUESS" that's because no mod has a temperature sensor but uses algorithms' with the info detailed but devices with chips with wide bandwidths such as DNA devices it's not just a guess or educated guess but more of a genius guess as they are so accurate!
Genius is about right ... It's a little shy of a miracle actually, as measuring resistances below an ohm is challenging to say the least, that said ... even the cheapest of mods out there with TC do a damn fine job of it.
Taking this a step further and chasing PWM up and down to match the change of resistance, now that's a friggen miracle that they get it right ... just don't believe the temperature it "tells you", rather find your own sweet spot :)

Back