Can local juice lines compete internationally?

There are definitely some South African juices that can compete internationally. Not only on flavour, but price as well.
Juice here is unbelievably expensive even for the "meh" ones. Talking about €20 for a 30 ml bottle.

When I arrived in Germany I went crazy with the international line-up I could finally get my hands on, including the american ones. Even though there were some outstanding ones there were none that could compete with the complexity of XXX or the pure joy of any Paulies juice. I know that taste is subjective and had I like tobaccos no SA juice could compete, but man I miss the SA stuff.

Also, the vendors in SA are much better than here and frankly the entire EU. Better service and know-how, plus that feeling of "community" is something you won't find here.

There are definitely some South African juices that can compete internationally. Not only on flavour, but price as well.
Juice here is unbelievably expensive even for the "meh" ones. Talking about €20 for a 30 ml bottle.

When I arrived in Germany I went crazy with the international line-up I could finally get my hands on, including the american ones. Even though there were some outstanding ones there were none that could compete with the complexity of XXX or the pure joy of any Paulies juice. I know that taste is subjective and had I like tobaccos no SA juice could compete, but man I miss the SA stuff.

Also, the vendors in SA are much better than here and frankly the entire EU. Better service and know-how, plus that feeling of "community" is something you won't find here.

Thank you for the kind words @Dewald :)

I would say a lot of local guys buy concentrates locally which in turn makes there juices what they are, I reckon there is a big range of different and better quality concentrates overseas hence some of the imported juices just having a better overall taste and flavour. But for me I buy 95% local juice and love most of them, the international juices for price vs performance just doesn't justify them.

I would say a lot of local guys buy concentrates locally which in turn makes there juices what they are, I reckon there is a big range of different and better quality concentrates overseas hence some of the imported juices just having a better overall taste and flavour. But for me I buy 95% local juice and love most of them, the international juices for price vs performance just doesn't justify them.

It is only really worth bringing them in if you get wholesale pricing which is in my experience, cheaper than buying local juice at retail prices.

The super premium, designer or craft juice such as The Mamasan, Moku Oystsu, Ripe Vapes and ANML however is worth buying irrespective of price.

Back