Cleaning RDA coils

GerritVisagie

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
Okay here goes.
So I got myself a little coil brush today from the Sirs.
df4c16995fb5d8cec3e83e86c804d5a4.jpg

@Silver asked me to share my experience using the Lil guy.

So, here are my coils after removing the old wicking before a dry burn.
b39e4d34fac4574e5a98da41866ccb70.jpg

After the traditional dry burn and water dunk, thing improved to this

36797b3abb140ad21dcd861a6daac5b8.jpg

Not bad, but I want that "silver " shiny look,so I got out my new tool, and started brushing.
After about 2 mins, this it what they looked like
5331257acf18511df95696c38b7c9162.jpg

Not very happy with the result, I thought let's dry burn them again, give them another dunk, and brush the wet coils.
And tada
9a58bcd70a9fcdb79ec20cc90db80005.jpg

I must say, I'm very happy with the results.
Seeing as this is the first time doing this, I'm sure some more techniques out there could greatly improve results, or a little more patience.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

That is superb @GerritVisagie
Thanks for sharing this !
Looks great

Now I need a brush!

Well, what got me to buy this little guy was the frequency that I had to re-wick.
When I just got those coils I went 10days before gunking had me re-wick. Then 5 days, now 3.
Hopefully this will get me back to at least 8.
That tells me they will last longer too
Oh, thanx for the feedback

Last edited:
Well, what got me to buy this little guy was the frequency that I had to re-wick.
When I just got those coils I went 10days before ******* had me re-wick. Then 5 days, now 3.
Hopefully this will get me back to at least 8.
That tells me they will last longer too
Oh, thanx for the feedback

Do you know what the bristles on that brush are made of @GerritVisagie ?

They look like stainless steel bristles.
And relentless brushing makes them flare out, but a little squeeze N roll tucks them back together.
Just be careful, little buggers will stab you.

I think I've got to get me one of these... Do you think they might be a lil harsh on the smaller gauge Ni wires? Wont it hurt the claptons in some way?

Good questions @Amir

My question is what is the diameter of the brush
Will it work on my smaller coils 1.6mm ID and 2mm ID
Or is it only for larger diameter coils?

I dotn
Good questions @Amir

My question is what is the diameter of the brush
Will it work on my smaller coils 1.6mm ID and 2mm ID
Or is it only for larger diameter coils?

I don't you should put it inside... only stroke it on top. (No pun intended)

@GerritVisagie thanks for sharing, after seeing how nice those coils look after cleaning them convinced me also to go and buy coil brush at month end

I dotn

I don't you should put it inside... only stroke it on top. (No pun intended)

What?
It musnt go inside?
Thats not good
Not what i thought

You saying it mustnt go inside, but on top?

Hehe

Im waiting for blujeenz, wait till he sees this
Lol

you guys are freaks!
But to clear it up, you can stick the pointy side, inside, but the brushy side won't fit, so it just strokes the top and sides

Thanks for your post @GerritVisagie, I also recently got one from VKafter I used @Idiot s brush on one of the last JHB DIY Meets, and this is a really handy little tool!!

@Amir and @Silver Ive used it on a micro claptons, 24 NI80 and bigger Fused Claptons with great results, I normally just work a bit 'softer' on the smaller coils. the size of the brush might be bigger than the coil but still works well!

The brush actually looks like one of the wire brushes you get for the rotary tools like Dremel. They have it in various materials from PVC to Stainless Steel. Will have a look in my Dremel's case tonight, might actually have a stainless, brass and plastic floating around in there.

you guys are freaks!
But to clear it up, you can stick the pointy side, inside, but the brushy side won't fit, so it just strokes the top and sides

Boy oh boy did you just step right in it this time... This is gonna be like Christmas for @blujeenz

I only saw this after @Amir tag, I must be getting old and probably need an apprentice, there's enough material in this one thread for two anyway. :D

I see my Dremel kit has one of those SS brushes, but I've used it so much its gone bushy, besides its probably no good for using on coils now.
Still , I can see how it could be handy cleaning up the outer surface of the coils, which is where most of the buildup occurs.
brush.JPG

Thanks @blujeenz

I am very disappointed in that you did not spot this earlier. I specifically did not tag you to check if you were watching and alert. Looks like you may need that apprentice ! lol.

Back to topic - that bushy brush seems quite spent - wonder what one can use a bushy brush for?
:detenido:

Slightly off topic, but a dry burn and a soak in an ultrasonic seems to restore coils beautifully for me.
No manual labour required.

Slightly off topic, but a dry burn and a soak in an ultrasonic seems to restore coils beautifully for me.
No manual labour required.

Ag dammit. Now I need an ultrasonic cleaner.
Guess it's worth it, can clean my spent shells in it too

Ag dammit. Now I need an ultrasonic cleaner.
Guess it's worth it, can clean my spent shells in it too

I got a relatively cheap one. The coilmaster one. Very small but it does the job.

Before ultrasonic:
20170312_182241.jpg

After dry burn and 15 minutes in ultrasonic:
20170312_192752.jpg

Back