Clones - The Good, Bad & Ugly

Well neither my Dani or Dvarw dropped out of the sky , I saved for it but seeing I'm talking rubbish , I'll shut up .
But just because you did doesn't mean others can, they start to save and then the kids need new shoes, start to save again and the vacuum cleaner goes up the spout.

@Timwis, I know your thread was more about which clones are good versus not so good, but I dont have much experience with clones, so can't contribute on that front.

My main experience with clones was near the beginning of my vaping when I got a Kayfun 3.1 clone, (not sure what clone manufacturer) and no matter what I did it leaked. I tried so many ways to get it working - checked Youtube vids, asked many people etc. But it just didnt work and leaked so badly - once it dumped 5Pawns Bowdens Mate in my car seat and it took ages to get that smell out. Since then I did not like Kayfuns at all. I thought they were just badly designed devices.

Advance the clock a few years and I did more research and ended up buying 2 authentic Kayfuns. They worked beautifully and it changed my whole view on them. Not saying all clones do this sort of thing - but when cloning a fairly complex RTA I suppose things can go wrong. That was just my experience and some people who know me from back then will know how I struggled with that device!

Allow me to add the following from my perspective:

The clone discussion has reared its head many times on the forum.
There are those that are against it and those that are for it.

I can understand the issue of using an idea from another manufacturer in your product. As someone said, these products are very rarely patented, so I can see why the manufacturers use ideas from others to improve their product. E.g a clever way of designing the post or the airflow etc.

But when a cloner takes an original product (eg a Kayfun) and copies it exactly from top to bottom and even uses the logo of the other company on the product and the package - i.e. using someone else's hard work to make a buck - well that just doesn't sit well with me. But that's just my view.

Well neither my Dani or Dvarw dropped out of the sky , I saved for it but seeing I'm talking rubbish , I'll shut up .
And more the power to you, i'm not saying you can't have your opinion but i can also disagree with it, it's not my experience people buy clones to pass as the originals for street cred. And that dead rabbit was being passed as the original obviously to rip you off which is disgusting but nothing to do with people passing clones as originals for street cred.

@Timwis, I know your thread was more about which clones are good versus not so good, but I dont have much experience with clones, so can't contribute on that front.

My main experience with clones was near the beginning of my vaping when I got a Kayfun 3.1 clone, (not sure what clone manufacturer) and no matter what I did it leaked. I tried so many ways to get it working - checked Youtube vids, asked many people etc. But it just didnt work and leaked so badly - once it dumped 5Pawns Bowdens Mate in my car seat and it took ages to get that smell out. Since then I did not like Kayfuns at all. I thought they were just badly designed devices.

Advance the clock a few years and I did more research and ended up buying 2 authentic Kayfuns. They worked beautifully and it changed my whole view on them. Not saying all clones do this sort of thing - but when cloning a fairly complex RTA I suppose things can go wrong. That was just my experience and some people who know me from back then will know how I struggled with that device!

Allow me to add the following from my perspective:

The clone discussion has reared its head many times on the forum.
There are those that are against it and those that are for it.

I can understand the issue of using an idea from another manufacturer in your product. As someone said, these products are very rarely patented, so I can see why the manufacturers use ideas from others to improve their product. E.g a clever way of designing the post or the airflow etc.

But when a cloner takes an original product (eg a Kayfun) and copies it exactly from top to bottom and even uses the logo of the other company on the product and the package - i.e. using someone else's hard work to make a buck - well that just doesn't sit well with me. But that's just my view.
That is one perfectly good argument but the other side is they are way too expensive when i see no real innovation the laugh is even the new high end products these days copy ideas. Some clones are good and could give a vaper a good insight into the atty's before trying to save and buy the original!
I personally have a couple of higher end atty's and can tell the difference in materials and machining to most Chinese mass marketed atty's but this thread was meant as a general guide to the better clones because i understand vapers with stretched incomes and families have tight budgets and i personally have nothing against people buying clones i have just a couple myself. And the fact although a bad experience you bought a Kayfun 3.1 Clone having a anti clones view seems hypocritical. If that Kayfun had turned out to be a good clone you might have a army of clones by now.

Ooooo so tempted to dive into the discussion... but thought better of it... :p

But just because you did doesn't mean others can, they start to save and then the kids need new shoes, start to save again and the vacuum cleaner goes up the spout.
I dont see how money can be a big factor. One of my riches clients vape a pico and some cheap pod. This guy pays me to change his light bulbs, he can afford the most expensive mods and would not even think twice about it. For him and most other people a vape is just a tool.
I didnt buy a Skyfall to look great, everybody rated it a good vape so got the clone. Will I pay 2-3k for an authentic? No ways. R150 wasp nano is just as good, just like the Skyfall's 510 driptip more. Sure I can get many cheap authentic rda's that is just as good as the Authentic Skyfall.
I dont go out to buy a clone specificly, I just buy whatever I feel, and so should everyone. Whether its cheap chinese stuff, clones or HE. Its your money, you can do what you want with it. I do however have a problem with people that diss others choices.
As for street cred, being classy, people looking up to you etc for what type of vape you have? Reminds me of a friend in school that always told us of some car he is going to buy after school and how many chicks he is going to get then. Well after a years hard work he bought his car and a few years later he still didnt have a girlfriend.

That is one perfectly good argument but the other side is they are way too expensive when i see no real innovation the laugh is even the new high end products these days copy ideas. Some clones are good and could give a vaper a good insight into the atty's before trying to save and buy the original!
I personally have a couple of higher end atty's and can tell the difference in materials and machining to most Chinese mass marketed atty's but this thread was meant as a general guide to the better clones because i understand vapers with stretched incomes and families have tight budgets and i personally have nothing against people buying clones i have just a couple myself. And the fact although a bad experience you bought a Kayfun 3.1 Clone having a anti clones view seems hypocritical. If that Kayfun had turned out to be a good clone you might have a army of clones by now.
I don't understand you bud... I get the point of your discussion, but to allow for open discussion and then constantly tell people they are talking crap or that they are hypocritical doesn't make sense. Yes you're entitled to your opinion but the more replies of yours I read, the more I keep seeing the kid in school who asks for opinions and then tells people off for providing them?

Just let people voice themselves and either say you don't agree if you don't or well said if you do and carry on, why is there a need to voice your thoughts on their opinion? Makes absolutely no sense and isn't even relevant to your discussion topic.

I dont see how money can be a big factor. One of my riches clients vape a pico and some cheap pod. This guy pays me to change his light bulbs, he can afford the most expensive mods and would not even think twice about it. For him and most other people a vape is just a tool.
I didnt buy a Skyfall to look great, everybody rated it a good vape so got the clone. Will I pay 2-3k for an authentic? No ways. R150 wasp nano is just as good, just like the Skyfall's 510 driptip more. Sure I can get many cheap authentic rda's that is just as good as the Authentic Skyfall.
I dont go out to buy a clone specificly, I just buy whatever I feel, and so should everyone. Whether its cheap chinese stuff, clones or HE. Its your money, you can do what you want with it. I do however have a problem with people that diss others choices.
As for street cred, being classy, people looking up to you etc for what type of vape you have? Reminds me of a friend in school that always told us of some car he is going to buy after school and how many chicks he is going to get then. Well after a years hard work he bought his car and a few years later he still didnt have a girlfriend.
I agree, it was someone else who brought up street cred!

I don't understand you bud... I get the point of your discussion, but to allow for open discussion and then constantly tell people they are talking crap or that they are hypocritical doesn't make sense. Yes you're entitled to your opinion but the more replies of yours I read, the more I keep seeing the kid in school who asks for opinions and then tells people off for providing them?

Just let people voice themselves and either say you don't agree if you don't or well said if you do and carry on, why is there a need to voice your thoughts on their opinion? Makes absolutely no sense and isn't even relevant to your discussion topic.
I don't understand you either it has been a thread of open discussion read the whole thread, just one comment i referred to as crap because people don't buy clones to make out they have the original and i found the comment demeaning to those that have a clone or clones saying they had no pride etc.

i found the comment demeaning to those that have a clone or clones saying they had no pride etc.

I couldn't agree with you more @Timwis .

To say that possibly the majority of forum members (who have bought clones) have no pride in themselves is insulting beyond an acceptable level. This forum has always been a place where people can express their opinions without fear of attack or insult. Perhaps the only exception is when the clone issue is raised.

The only people looking for street cred are youngsters. I pity any adult who is so insecure in their own self-worth that they desperately seek street cred.

Take a look here https://www.vaporvanity.com/is-it-possible-to-be-a-vaping-connoisseur-and-should-you-try-to-be-one/

This post requires no reply. It was motivated by being insulted by implication.

Sorry I stepped on your toes , go and have yourself a good day and a cup of tea , Sir.

Last edited:
images

I hear you @Timwis
The only thing is when I bought that Kayfun clone I did not know it was a clone. Not that it was sold as an original but I didn’t know that clones were different to originals. It was very early on in my vaping and I was unaware of these things. I agree with you that I had bad luck with that Kayfun clone. It’s just that my experience turned me off the whole Kayfun brand for a long time and I didn’t know it was just perhaps a badly made clone.

The views I have now are just my views over the years. Not saying anything about members that use clones there are plenty of those and I understand the reasons. Just that for me it’s not my thing.

This forum exists out out of human decency to all vapers all over the world. And this picture could not have summed up the whole group that we are better in my opinion. Each to their own and have decency for vapers. Just like life styles everything is about what you can afford. If a vaper has a clone cause that is all he can afford i am happy he has found something that keeps him of the stinkies and the same goes for HE owners.
As long as we vape have mutual respect for each other.

BB279E9A-8BE6-42C4-A4E1-FBA9105BDBFF.jpeg

Vape what you like and like what you vape.
I had tons of clones, non anymore and sticking to authethentics from now on. It's my decision it's my money it's my life.

No one needs a explanation it's my choice.

You get quality Clones and crap clones, quality Authentics and crap authentics.

End of day if I had a business selling a iteam I made and someone ripped it off I would be very pee'd off and I'm sure you would too if it was your bread and butter someone was ripping off.

Vape what you like and like what you vape.
I had tons of clones, non anymore and sticking to authethentics from now on. It's my decision it's my money it's my life.

No one needs a explanation it's my choice.

You get quality Clones and crap clones, quality Authentics and crap authentics.

End of day if I had a business selling a iteam I made and someone ripped it off I would be very pee'd off and I'm sure you would too if it was your bread and butter someone was ripping off.
I have never seen Coke, microsoft, VW, Intel, Samsung etc etc, being peed off for someone ripping off their products. Oooh I forgot, they patent and copyright everything. And if anyone try, they will end up in court. But hey lets rather cry like babies than do bussiness professional.

This forum exists out out of human decency to all vapers all over the world. And this picture could not have summed up the whole group that we are better in my opinion. Each to their own and have decency for vapers. Just like life styles everything is about what you can afford. If a vaper has a clone cause that is all he can afford i am happy he has found something that keeps him of the stinkies and the same goes for HE owners.
As long as we vape have mutual respect for each other.

View attachment 184822
Here is the problem, by saying people that buy clones, is because thats only what they can afford, then you dont respect them, as most people who buy clones could probably afford an authentic.
Lets take the other side. If someone say that people buying HE gear only do it to compensate for their own insecureties, would that offend people with HE gear? Allthough that argument may be true for some HE gear users, it probably isnt for most.

I have never seen Coke, microsoft, VW, Intel, Samsung etc etc, being peed off for someone ripping off their products. Oooh I forgot, they patent and copyright everything. And if anyone try, they will end up in court. But hey lets rather cry like babies than do bussiness professional.

All companies you mentioned are bid corporate companies and have funds to protect and fight legal battles if need be.

As said in my post , buy what you must it's your money and non of my business.

I will stand by my previous statement.
Cheers

So back on topic.

I just recently bought an authentic Taifun GTR (My 1st Authentic High End RTA) from Rob here on the forum after using a clone for quite a while.
I was lucky enough to be able to get this after it didn't suite Rob and he sold it at an ridiculous price to me.

Now, I never thought about buying authentic High End RTA's because it was way out of my budget.

So here is my take on the difference between Authentic and Clones after having both a clone and authentic of the same RTA.

The clone GTR is on par with flavour in regards to the Authentic but that is basically where it stops.
I can feel a weight difference between the clone and authentic (Authentic is heavier)

The clone has way more condensation taking place than the Authentic. I do believe this has something to do with the thicker stainless steel on the authentic?? Not sure.

The quality of the o-rings on the Authentic is way better than the clone's. (This made me realize that a lot of people that complain about their clones leaking might have to consider getting decent o-rings and I am not sure if local DIY shops and Vape shops stock these)

My clone did leak but is was a very small droplet like once very hour of chain vaping and I didn't though much of it until I got the authentic and have not seen a drop anywhere on my RTA yet.

I don't mind/judge people using clones because let face it, it is way too dam expensive to get the items here with import costs and conversion rates etc.

BUT

I have to admit, after experiencing an Authentic RTA I realized that clones should be used for experimental purposes and once you find the perfect RTA for you save up and get the real deal. However, clones don't fully expose the Authentic RTA's value for what it is because of the cheaper o-rings and materials it might leak etc where the authentic wont (This part also makes me scared as many people won't buy the authentic because they think its going to leak or whatever).

That is my 2cents ladies and gents

to me it's metallurgical....
to bring cost down the Chinese manufactures has to compromise somewhere...
now if you are vaping a cloned product at high wattages you are not sure what particles are being released with a cloned product do you?

the same can be said for HE products but there are strict guidelines to it...

most mainstream Chinese made products have to confirm to certain standards so those products are deemed safe....

do you really think a company cloning products give a shyte about what you inhale into your lungs?

I'll just leave this here... and that's the reason I stopped buying clones...

to me it's metallurgical....
to bring cost down the Chinese manufactures has to compromise somewhere...
now if you are vaping a cloned product at high wattages you are not sure what particles are being released with a cloned product do you?

the same can be said for HE products but there are strict guidelines to it...

most mainstream Chinese made products have to confirm to certain standards so those products are deemed safe....

do you really think a company cloning products give a shyte about what you inhale into your lungs?

I'll just leave this here... and that's the reason I stopped buying clones...
Any proof? Or just speculation?

common sense really....

don't think anyone in China has really investigated the fact....
I dont see the common sense. Same with the china mall juices that is supposed to have all the "bad stuff" in. Everyone say thats the case, but I havent seen any test or proof.
He gear is expensive because its a small market made by individuals, is there any proof that they use better materials?

Back