Creating your own one shots

Lightbringer

Rabbit Hole and all....
LV

Awards
I have 3 diy recipes that I like. I like the convenience of having them as one shots, but can't seem to find anyone on YouTube who explains how to go about converting a standard recipe into a one shot.

I know I can input the recipe on eliquidrecipies site and you have the option of converting it on there. But I would also like to know how to do it myself. The site makes it super simple yes, but it bothers me not knowing how myself.

Is there someone who can explain the maths to me? I have tried working it out myself till my brain hurts.

I never knew ELR did that until today.

So I had a squiz at some recipes on there, then compared them to the one-shot variants they did and it's actually quite simple.

They first added all the percentages in the recipe to get a total % of ingredients. In the example below, this is 8.5%, i.e. all ingredients together make 8.5% total flavouring added. Then they take the percentage of the ingredient in the recipe and divide it by that total and this is the new value per ml (as their one-shots are ten ml's, they times this value by ten - this will make sense later). Let's take the following recipe as an example - random recipe from first page chosen, no particular reason for choosing it. This recipe has a total concentrate % of 8.5% (add all the concentrates up to get this)

1692097174262.png

So they would take Blueberry (Flavorah), which is 1%. 1% divided by 8.5% is 0.1176471 (times 10 for 10ml, which is what they have as the amount to make) equals 1.176471, rounded to 1.18 - now check the ml's they have for the one shot:

1692097414396.png

Same goes for the others. Look at:
Bubblegum (Flavorah): 3% / 8.5% x 10 = 3.529412, rounded up to 3.53
Cream (Flavorah): 0.2% / 8.5% x 10 = 0.235294, rounded 0.24

Etc. etc. etc.

Now, all this is said and done, they took the loooooong way around and made it confusing. Fortunately the recipe calculator I use has a grams value for the recipe I am mixing (highlighted in yellow):

1692097734571.png

Even if yours does not, it is not critical, some Excel (or even normal calculator) magic will give you the same. If you want to make a one-shot, here's what you do:
1. You decide how much of the one-shot you want to make, e.g. 100ml's
2. Increase your recipe 'amount to make' total until the flavour grams is approximately 100ml/gr
3. Mix it in a 100ml bottle
4. Use your one-shot as needed

Take this old recipe for example, if I wanted to make 100ml's of one-shot it would look like this:

1692098034538.png

Note the flavour grams at the bottom equaling to 100ml/gr. The recipe mentions that I am making 786ml's, but I am not adding Nicotine, PG or VG, just flavour. Then when I am finished with my one-shot and want to mix it in a juice, I have a note that says I need to mix it at 12.25% (left of the yellow highlight) as that is my recipe concentrate %.

I hope this makes sense. If not, PM me or we can chat via WhatsApp or such.

For each flavor %, divide that by the flavor % TOTAL value and multiply by 100.
That shoud give you a percentage of the Flavors only in a One-Shot, as per below example:

Item%Flavor % TotalCalculation of Flavor %One-Shot %
Nic
6​
PG
15.5​
VG
70​
Flavor A
3​
3​
3 / 8.5 x 100
35.294​
Flavor B
3​
3​
3 / 8.5 x 100
35.294​
Flavor C
2.5​
2.5​
2.5 / 8.5 x 100
29.412​
Total
100​
8.5​
100.000​

So I had a squiz at some recipes on there, then compared them to the one-shot variants they did and it's actually quite simple.

They first added all the percentages in the recipe to get a total % of ingredients. In the example below, this is 8.5%, i.e. all ingredients together make 8.5% total flavouring added. Then they take the percentage of the ingredient in the recipe and divide it by that total and this is the new value per ml (as their one-shots are ten ml's, they times this value by ten - this will make sense later). Let's take the following recipe as an example - random recipe from first page chosen, no particular reason for choosing it. This recipe has a total concentrate % of 8.5% (add all the concentrates up to get this)

View attachment 276271

So they would take Blueberry (Flavorah), which is 1%. 1% divided by 8.5% is 0.1176471 (times 10 for 10ml, which is what they have as the amount to make) equals 1.176471, rounded to 1.18 - now check the ml's they have for the one shot:

View attachment 276272

Etc. etc. etc.

Now, all this is said and done, they took the loooooong way around and made it confusing. Fortunately the recipe calculator I use has a grams value for the recipe I am mixing (highlighted in yellow):

View attachment 276273

Even if yours does not, it is not critical, some Excel (or even normal calculator) magic will give you the same. If you want to make a one-shot, here's what you do:
2. Increase your recipe 'amount to make' total until the flavour grams is approximately 100ml/gr

Take this old recipe for example, if I wanted to make 100ml's of one-shot it would look like this:

View attachment 276276

Note the flavour grams at the bottom equaling to 100ml/gr. The recipe mentions that I am making 786ml's, but I am not adding Nicotine, PG or VG, just flavour. Then when I am finished with my one-shot and want to mix it in a juice, I have a note that says I need to mix it at 12.25% (left of the yellow highlight) as that is my recipe concentrate %.

You use the same recipe calculator as me, great for keeping tabs on flavouring inventory!

You use the same recipe calculator as me, great for keeping tabs on flavouring inventory!
I've tried so many different ones but this one just works the best by far

For each flavor %, divide that by the flavor % TOTAL value and multiply by 100.
That shoud give you a percentage of the Flavors only in a One-Shot, as per below example:

Item%Flavor % TotalCalculation of Flavor %One-Shot %
Nic
6​
PG
15.5​
VG
70​
Flavor A
3​
3​
3 / 8.5 x 100
35.294​
Flavor B
3​
3​
3 / 8.5 x 100
35.294​
Flavor C
2.5​
2.5​
2.5 / 8.5 x 100
29.412​
Total
100​
8.5​
100.000​
Thank you.

Thank

View attachment 276271

View attachment 276272

Etc. etc. etc.

View attachment 276273

View attachment 276276

Thank you very much for all the time you put into your answer. I'll take a proper look after work. Much appreciated.

View attachment 276271

View attachment 276272

Etc. etc. etc.

View attachment 276273

View attachment 276276

Back