Decided to polish Subox mini

I also had a very nice white subbox .............. then I saw this thread and destroyed the nice white paint job :hit: :giggle:

Dave

Wow! that looks very nice Casper, great job.
I assume yours was black originally, how did you get the black paint off.
Dave

I used 4 coats of paint stripper over a duration of 20 hours. Took everything off!!!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I'm even considering doing the same to the D2. There's a post on here where @skola did one of his D2's beautifully with alcohol inks. Not sure if the Kanger Subox and IPV D2 are made of the same material...?

Almost certainly yes... cast aluminium. I followed that skola thread rather closely, awesome job he did.
From what I gather the clear top coat will be problematic, but it gives a greath depth to the colors, one might even have to resort to expensive 2K automotive type clear coats.

Almost certainly yes... cast aluminium. I followed that skola thread rather closely, awesome job he did.
From what I gather the clear top coat will be problematic, but it gives a greath depth to the colors, one might even have to resort to expensive 2K automotive type clear coats.
Any links to the thread ? Keen to check it out but no luck with the search.

Also , 2k clears not that expensive , 250ml 2k clear + 250ml hardener set me back about 90 bucks at a mom n pop hardware store. Add another R100/R200 bucks for a preval air canister & you're good for a few small projects

Thanks @Pixstar and @blujeenz.. Yes the clear coat is quite problematic. I used a gloss medium that's recommended to seal alcohol ink finishes but it gives the mod a very rough touch. Not happy with it. Been very lazy to strip and redo the whole process and try a different clear coat. Alcohol ink just wipes away with most clear coats.

Am really keen to see your shiny mods in the flesh
Will you guys remember to bring them at the next vape meet - i would like to feel the finish in my hand.
I think a group shot of them is in order

Thanks @Pixstar and @blujeenz.. Yes the clear coat is quite problematic. I used a gloss medium that's recommended to seal alcohol ink finishes but it gives the mod a very rough touch. Not happy with it. Been very lazy to strip and redo the whole process and try a different clear coat. Alcohol ink just wipes away with most clear coats.
Saw your thread bud , mod came out awesome. Definitely stealing the idea lol

Looks very interesting

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Great thread. Would this work with an Istick 50W really not sure what its made of

I have done the same to my tank on the subox mini :--) I left the black accents on as well, popped in some black tank rings and it's looking good. Just waiting for my Istick 100w to arrive and I will be attacking the kbox to get it all shiney. I haven't polished it with autosol yet which will enhance it even more!

cck.jpg

I can't believe Kangertech don't have a polished Subox mini with differnt colour accents to choose from!!

Back