Deez DIY Magnetic Stirrer

Does your stir bar have a little rib in the middle?

Mine doesn't, and the friction is increased and you get more noise.

My solution was to wrap a little silicon hairband around the middle of the bar.

Run smoother, a little faster and lot quieter.

Hope that helps

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

That thing rocks! Deserves a lekka enclosure. Communicate has some good ones.

I'm curious what components you used, and where you got them.

My diy spidey senses are tingling!

Hey @veecee Here is a list of components used:
From mantech:
- Brush DC Motor speed controller @ R34.48 (Stock Code 14CE980)
- 12VDC Brush motor 0.8A 3000RPM @ R61.62 (stock Code 14C6304)
- Capacitor Bracket @ R10.07 (Stock Code 15C0712)

Other parts from:
- Container/housing from JuicyJoes, You get one when you order a few things
- (Spacing lip between container and Mixing base)An old Avo contrainer (That foam that its packed in) Cut to size and wrapped with aluminum tape to make it more presentable.
- Flange/Coupler to fit the Platform for magnets is from the handle of one of these Seam Rippers that I (Borrowed ;)) from my wife's dressmaking stuff.
- Mounting plate for magnets is from a Old discovery medical aid card cut so size and grinded down a bit
- Soldering stuff
- Old external Hard drive AC Adapter

This setup is definitely a bit overkill, But thats the way I like it!! Who knows when you will need to "stirr" rocks to a mushy liquid :rofl::rofl:

20180510_122404-jpg.131599

Hope it helps

Does your stir bar have a little rib in the middle?

Mine doesn't, and the friction is increased and you get more noise.

My solution was to wrap a little silicon hairband around the middle of the bar.

Run smoother, a little faster and lot quieter.

Hope that helps

No, Mine's also flat but it works well for now. Will get bigger bars with that line in the middle later this month.

guys you can use one of your extra o-rings that comes with your atty's.the ones that used for driptips should work fine on you stirrer bars

1526299509086-1253741940.jpg

Its ready...but trying to make sure I have a DC adapter that won't harm anything, this took me ages to make, don't want to risk anything. Any thoughts or advice regarding adapters would be much appreciated.

View attachment 131908

Its ready...but trying to make sure I have a DC adapter that won't harm anything, this took me ages to make, don't want to risk anything. Any thoughts or advice regarding adapters would be much appreciated.
I stand to be corrected here, but you should be able to use on adapter to power both (Voltage wise) depending on how you connect them, But just make sure the Amperage is enough to carry the rating of both fans Combined cos it wont use more Volts but definitely more Amps

Please note I am in no way qualified to make these suggestions, but am eager to try and help :rofl::rofl:

I stand to be corrected here, but you should be able to use on adapter to power both (Voltage wise) depending on how you connect them, But just make sure the Amperage is enough to carry the rating of both fans Combined cos it wont use more Volts but definitely more Amps

Please note I am in no way qualified to make these suggestions, but am eager to try and help :rofl::rofl:
Thanks @Dietz. Runs from 1 power jack and had a concern about Amps. Adapter I have outputs 2amp so it should be high enough, that said that is also my concern. All I do know is Higher Voltage will damage it and just because an adapter has a switch that says reverse reverse polarity, does not mean you should toggle that switch.

Thanks @Dietz. Runs from 1 power jack and had a concern about Amps. Adapter I have outputs 2amp so it should be high enough, that said that is also my concern. All I do know is Higher Voltage will damage it and just because an adapter has a switch that says reverse reverse polarity, does not mean you should toggle that switch.
Ideally a dc fan should run in the reverse direction when you switch the polarity. But the computer fans dont do that, so they wont run at all if its not connected correctly. These fans can take upto 2 amps current(or a little more) so your adapter should be fine. I tested mine with 3 amps and it was running the same. They run faster only if you increase the volts.
Right now am using a 12V power adapter with a 1.5 amp output. You can send a pic of the label on the power adapter and the label on the fans, just for me to check if you want.

Ideally a dc fan should run in the reverse direction when you switch the polarity. But the computer fans dont do that, so they wont run at all if its not connected correctly. These fans can take upto 2 amps current(or a little more) so your adapter should be fine. I tested mine with 3 amps and it was running the same. They run faster only if you increase the volts.
Right now am using a 12V power adapter with a 1.5 amp output. You can send a pic of the label on the power adapter and the label on the fans, just for me to check if you want.
That would be awesome. In town quick, will send asap...literally.

Guys, the amps being used will be a function of the voltage applied to the fans resistence. A supply rated two amps will only supply at two amps if the rated voltage times the applied resistence requires it. A two amp supply poeering a one amp circuit will only supply one amp.

Regards

15263041990441765594005.jpg 1526304236671-1846949401.jpg

That's a proper job you're doing right there ou pjel :clap::clap::clap: Dual stirrers nogals. I like. Looking forward to seeing the result in action!

Guys, the amps being used will be a function of the voltage applied to the fans resistence. A supply rated two amps will only supply at two amps if the rated voltage times the applied resistence requires it. A two amp supply poeering a one amp circuit will only supply one amp.

Regards
Thanks @Raindance, when I say that I am clueless in this world I am not joking 1 bit. It took me 4 hours of in depth searching this morning to make sure I actually used the Positive pin in the DC jack I installed (thank goodness though cause I didn't) I have never held a soldering iron untill this morning and as to grinders, if it's not for coffee then nope...did you know they shoot like sparks at you when you cut something? That was a fun experience.

And that's a no, will have to rethink my wiring. LeDs lights up when the switch is OFF, I suppose that makes sense seeing that I wired their negative output with all the rest.
If the power supply wire is a core wire surrounded by a wire mesh, the mesh is negative and the core is positive .

Hope this helps.

Regards

If the power supply wire is a core wire surrounded by a wire mesh, the mesh is negative and the core is positive .

Hope this helps.

Regards
1526307717803-309964488.jpg
Was thinking my schematic might be wrong, but even if it was, the LEDs are wired straight to switch, so even with a wrong schematic they should've lit up. Correct?
1526307717803-309964488.jpg

View attachment 131942
Was thinking my schematic might be wrong, but even if it was, the LEDs are wired straight to switch, so even with a wrong schematic they should've lit up. Correct?
View attachment 131942
Led's are diodes and will only allow curent to flow thrpugh them in one direction. The other way round the act as a off switch.

Do yo perhaps have a mean of sharing your schematic ?

Regard

Led's are diodes and will only allow curent to flow thrpugh them in one direction. The other way round the act as a off switch.

Do yo perhaps have a mean of sharing your schematic ?

Regard
Will try and write one down in a understandable way...as the jargon makes as much sense to me as my ex girlfriends new taste in men.

Back