Did magnetic stirrer help

Depend on the motor beneath the stirbar, mine is from a 120mm case fan and i mix 80/20 and it stirs even before the mix is on 30degrees
I had 3 different Case fans that I tried... No luck.

I then chopped up an old RC chopper and used the motor from that with a PWM regulator to adjust the speed. this worked a bit, but when I then started making batches of 300ml plus in a go (for one flavor) it no longer worked. not sufficiently anyway :)

I had 3 different Case fans that I tried... No luck.

I then chopped up an old RC chopper and used the motor from that with a PWM regulator to adjust the speed. this worked a bit, but when I then started making batches of 300ml plus in a go (for one flavor) it no longer worked. not sufficiently anyway :)
I have not mixed more than 100ml at a time and all was well for me

The route I took... let someone else make a magnetic stir plate for me. Ought to have it in about 10-14 days. Now to find a 4" X 6" (11mm X 15mm) USB/US AC heater pad for it that doesn't get over 40C-50C.

msp1.jpg msp2.jpg msp3.jpg

Hi all
I have made a few of types of magnetic stirrers, added a few pics below.
I mix for the wife @Badgeress and myself ..... Well she creates the fluid I build the stuff
The biggest prob we have found is mixing batches of 250ml or more the magnetic route just does not cut it as the stir bar gets thrown to one side. If the fluid is warm then it creates a great vortex but as the liquid cools the stir bars gets thrown again.
I added a Pot to help reduce the fan speed to give more control but to no avail, ideally you need to add a speed controller to really control the fan. The other issue I had was the balance of the fan which also added to the stir bar problem.
I was also looking at changing to use a PC power supply so I could cook up different flavors all at the same time. Then to heat the fluid I was thinking of using a USB cup warmer again I could power it from a PC power supply.
In the end I went a totally different route using a geared DC RC motor at the top powered by a PC power supply added pic of this as well. It was a great project and kept me out of trouble for a few weeks still have 2 motors to add and some vent holes but that will have to wait as I have more important things to do next weekend like vapecon and playing with all the good stuff I get their

Attachments

• WP_20160702_001.jpg
    WP_20160702_001.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 57
  • WP_20160702_002.jpg
    WP_20160702_002.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 62
  • WP_20160702_003.jpg
    WP_20160702_003.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 61
  • WP_20160702_004.jpg
    WP_20160702_004.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 58
  • WP_20160703_001.jpg
    WP_20160703_001.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 57
  • WP_20160703_002.jpg
    WP_20160703_002.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 57
  • WP_20160815_001.jpg
    WP_20160815_001.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 57
  • WP_20160815_002.jpg
    WP_20160815_002.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 57
  • WP_20160815_003.jpg
    WP_20160815_003.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 60
  • WP_20160815_004.jpg
    WP_20160815_004.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 59
What degrees are you heating at?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
At the moment we are using a slow cooker, but once I have finished the new stir then 50 -60 degrees just enough to warm the fluid and no more. The USB cup warmer would have also got to about 50 ish depending one which one you get.

This look
I'm ordering this

0000223_diy-stirplate-kit_550.jpeg

and then printing this

IMG_2793.jpg

and will also get this

s-l1600.jpg
This looks great

My DIY mag stirrer took a slightly different route:rock:
It started off with this:D
3D_PRINTER.jpg

And ended up with this:clap:
DIY_MAG_STIRRER.jpg

And the inbetween is something like this:
I found a rack of 24volt fans that we use to cool equipment housed in 19 inch racks. Salvaged one of the fans. The magnets, scavenged from the end caps of two LED torches that I got from FT a while back. The 1-30 volt variable PSU I built back in 2002 as part of a project and it still works beautifully. Downloaded the STL files for the base and fan mount from Thingverse. Modified the STL files it to fit the fan and magnets I had and printed it. Assembled and balanced the rotating components (almost like wheel balancing) and it now works perfectly. I just need to cover the fan and magnetic holder with some thin plexiglass. Although I still have to make a DIY recipe :p I did use it to mix my 0mg and 3mg liquids to get to the 1.5mg that I vape on at the moment. This was my first try and I might give it another go and neaten up the build at a later stage if I feel like it.:--)

I've had mine in hand long enough now to reply to the OP's question... did the magnetic stirrer help?

In the sense that it premixes the DIY thoroughly without adding excess oxidizing air into the mix, yes.
In the sense that it ages the DIY faster than my UC, no, not even close (and the UC doesn't add excess air either).

I'll still play around with it, but I can produce far more liquid ready to vape in many different batches much faster in the UC, all at the same time together.

I have found that mixing for four hours cuts off a week of steep. Have to add that the mix is also heated to certain temperature beforehand.
I start stirring while heating with the hotplate till I see steam appear then I switch off the hotplate and stir a additional few hours.
Have not gone the ultrasonic route yet but this method is quick enough for me.
I mix 7 flavours and 6 of them is vape ready within 2 hours of making.
DSC_0214.JPG

I have found that mixing for four hours cuts off a week of steep. Have to add that the mix is also heated to certain temperature beforehand.
I start stirring while heating with the hotplate till I see steam appear then I switch off the hotplate and stir a additional few hours.
Have not gone the ultrasonic route yet but this method is quick enough for me.
I mix 7 flavours and 6 of them is vape ready within 2 hours of making.
View attachment 66954

Where did you get this bad boy? Cost?

Ok so here is my experience....

Mixed some Grants Vanilla Custard. I would normally put this in the steeping cupboard for about 14 days.
I left it on the magnetic stirrer for around 48 hours straight and then in the cupboard for a day.
Came home Wednesday and my tank was empty. I had to run to my next commitment and I just grabbed something from the cupboard on my way out. Put it in the tank and vaped. Later I saw that it was the GVC. It was actually very nice. I would still leave it to steep for another 2 or 3 days just to smooth it out, but I was actually amazed by the vape especially because it is a custard.

To be Honest, I also played around with this a while back, When I started out. It was more of a mission than anything else...

Sweet and short of it.... If you are going to attempt to mix anything higher VG than 70, you will not have success with a mag stirrer like the one you are trying to build.. The fluid is to thick and you end up having to heat the juice to try and mix it. and even then you can only do small amounts at a time... I ended up purchasing a blender that is dedicated to my juice making process... it works like a charm!!!

You can try the mag stirrer and see how successful it is in your case, but I'm not recommending it to anyone soon...

Hope that helps, hehe
I had the same problem! Very frustrating. Got a milk frother instead, barepy gets the job done (I mix max VG) im either gonna get a blender or a drill.

Sent from my E2333 using Tapatalk

Back