Expensive whisky

A little off topic but here goes,

I have always had this thing that cheap whiskey (Harrier, Vat69, First watch) with coke tastes like brandy and that brandy with Sprite tastes like whiskey. LOL

Ja ek persoonlike dink ook whiskey proe soos pis
Most people whisky experiences are ruined due to cheap crap and lack of knowledge on how to drink whisky properly, the biggest sin being dumping too much water and diluting it

Most people whisky experiences are ruined due to cheap crap and lack of knowledge on how to drink whisky properly, the biggest sin being dumping too much water and diluting it
I once worked in a bar where someone insisted on the same logic, he insisted that I have some Dimple with him, and despite my protests I got bought one, I sipped it, tasted like whiskey, I told him it was awesome and thanked him... Poured it down the overflow thingy on the Draft machine. But I was about 19, I was stupid at that age so probably didn't try very hard to "taste" it.

My brother took me to a ladeedaa whiskey tasting evening, he is very big into his expensive whiskeys, and its just not for me. Like Ian_F said, its an acquired taste, either you like it or dont
I personally like good quality vodka straight up with ice or a good bourbon

My brother took me to a ladeedaa whiskey tasting evening, he is very big into his expensive whiskeys, and its just not for me. Like Ian_F said, its an acquired taste, either you like it or dont
I personally like good quality vodka straight up with ice or a good bourbon

Ohhhh Bourbon now thats something i can sip on all night. Love Jim Beam Black cherry and devils cut.

the biggest sin being dumping too much water and diluting it

I like whiskey (with or without the e) and I can remember my dad saying to me "Jy gooi nie water by nie, dit het hulle baie geld gekos kom dit die water daar uit te haal, moet dit nie opd***ner en weer terug gooi nie".

Yes, whiskey is an acquired taste, we have been trying to get my brother to dink whiskey, and today he can, if he adds enough "Dry Lemon" and soda water that you cant taste the whiskey.

Yes you can taste the difference between cheap, moderately cheap, affordable and expensive whiskey. Personally havnt had anything more expensive than Chivas Royal Salute. So I can't vouch for the insanely expensive whiskeys.

Side note: If you live in the Cape Town area, do your self a favor and do a brandy tasting at Van Ryns in Stellenbosch. I am a whiskey drinker but I really enjoyed the experience and learned alot about brandy that day. I still prefer whiskey over brandy, but it is really something that I will promote and even do again. There you can also taste the differences, very clearly, as the price goes up. Just please do not ask them for coke :D

Back