Goon LP - Building

Carnival

Live. Chill. Vape.
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
Hi guys,

I got myself the Goon LP RDA. Now, this build deck is quite interesting - the bridge post and clamps are horizontal. I have taken pics of my Goon:

60B67212-4E14-4A0B-B6D6-4D7BA88BA70E.jpeg
3B94A274-4E3C-419D-934F-F31A3FC3655A.jpeg
0F52D382-EAE5-4FA8-B7BC-B976A9656FAA.jpeg

I watched a couple YouTube video reviews on it, the first guy said it’s a pretty difficult build due to the horizontal clamps. He also said you apparently need to get the coils as close to the airflow as possible, otherwise flavour won’t be as good.

I got an Azure Stone drip tip for it, but I’ve heard people say the Goon LP can get pretty hot so I may be using the ultem drip tip. Will have to test it out and see.

I noticed the screws are REALLY tiny on the Goon LP.. :eek: They look bigger then they are in the pic.

I had a go at it with 2 pre-built coils, because I had a feeling things would go south. So the pre-built coils were to practice on. Firstly, those screws... oh my word! Anyway, I finally managed to loosen all of them. Then came time to cut and bend the leads on the coils.. I soon learned there is an art to cutting just the right amount off, and bending the leads correctly.. I haven’t quite found the art to this yet, lol. So after all my tweaking and bending attempts, slotting the coil into the clamps then removing to cut the leads more.. only to find out I cut too much off! Well, by the end of my first attempt the poor coil looked a sight for sore eyes. :( RIP coil. I abandoned the idea of trying it with the last coil.

However, I’ll be receiving my fused clapton wire tomorrow, so I will have another go at it and report back. I am determined to win. Wish me luck! :p

Any tips and/or comments before I attempt this again would be appreciated. :)

Yes, I’ve also heard mixed reviews about it. I wanted to try it for myself though.
Did not post for reviews, dont care much but to take note and try it for myself, hope some of the comments/ builds might help.

Sent from my E5633 using Tapatalk

Did not post for reviews, dont care much but to take note and try it for myself, hope some of the comments/ builds might help.

Aaaah, thanks @acorn!

Okay, I did it the “smart way” this time.. :rolleyes:

Figured I’d try putting the leads in straight (as they are) then measure how much to cut off from there, securing them into the clamps (I noticed I needed to make sure the screws were tight otherwise the coil tends to pop out when you bend it) and finally, bending it carefully over and down. Some success!

7F1FF0C2-CF91-42AE-936C-17AC730AF099.jpeg

Wow @Carnival
From hadalys to Goons!
You sure dont play around

Haha

I think @KZOR made a video on the Goon LP, need to go try find it for you
I thought those clamps were supposed to make things easier. Sounds like they are quite a mission.
I cant advise you myself because Ive never tried the Goon LP

Full marks for effort though. You deserve a big glorious vape!

Wow @Carnival
From hadalys to Goons!
You sure dont play around

Haha

I think @KZOR made a video on the Goon LP, need to go try find it for you
I thought those clamps were supposed to make things easier. Sounds like they are quite a mission.
I cant advise you myself because Ive never tried the Goon LP

Full marks for effort though. You deserve a big glorious vape!

@Silver thank you!

Haha, yeah.. I sure took a giant leap here.

I’d love to watch @KZOR ’s video if it’s not too much trouble and you manage to find it. :)

My first attempt was a disaster, but the second time around was a lot easier. Will report back how tomorrow goes - making the coils, putting them in, getting them even, pulsing etc.

I am a fan of the LP, it has build limitations but it performs well within them.. Firstly I use plain Wire to build, nothing fancy at all.. Also 2.5mm is the biggest that I use in it because of the space available.. I make the coils with longer legs and bend it so that it sits comfortably, the length will take couple tries to figure out.. When bending while holding it in the clamp, the bottom of the legs tend to lift if not fully clamped so keep an eye on that to get it even.. Do the bend over a thin hex screwdriver or something to get a neat arch over the clamp.. I don't keep the coils tooo close to the airholes, and I let keep it higher so the air hits the bottom.. I have used it with the bf pin and I prefer dripping with it.. I use the ultem bottom cap with the metal top half, it is especially useful when squonking because you can see the juice level through the Ultem.. It can get hot but keep less wick in the well and position the coils for best airflow.. I use a slightly higher profile drip tip and it works fine.. It is a dual coil RDA so I haven't tried single coils, but I think you should try to keep the coils simple especially to manage the heat unless you like the hotter vape..

What M5000 said.

The LP is difficult to build, however the flavour is unparalleled within the Goon range when you get it right.

My preferred build:

2.5mm id haywire 24ga flatwire with six wraps. If you put this onto a squonk, be prepared for a knockout vape experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a LP and loved it. Trying to find one again for my RSQ but its harder than i thought

Thanks so much for the posts here, very informative @M5000 and @Fuzz.

@ErnstZA, I got my Goon LP from Vaper’s Corner. You could try them if you like.

Thanks @Carnival , i sa they have some stock of the Gold LP but that will clash a bit with my red RSQ. Silver or black will be first prize

I finally made my own coils today! Came out at 0.3ohm, which I’m pleased about. 8 wraps.

However I feel I could do better, I’m really not happy with the coil on the right but I didn’t want to chuck it and waste wire. It’s a start. I’ll see how they do when I pulse them.

Putting the coils in went well, I actually like this build deck now!

3F5A7811-6200-4A59-BB1E-A78546160224.jpeg

I finally made my own coils today! Came out at 0.3ohm, which I’m pleased about. 8 wraps.

However I feel I could do better, I’m really not happy with the coil on the right but I didn’t want to chuck it and waste wire. It’s a start. I’ll see how they do when I pulse them.

Putting the coils in went well, I actually like this build deck now!

View attachment 117949
Great photo, a few pinches with ceramic tweazers (not to hard)while pulsing would sort the one on the right...good job!

Okay, vaping on it (with the ultem drip tip, didn’t feel like burning my lips lol) and flavour is disappointing. I get cool menthol without any tobacco flavour (using Shipwrecked with a couple drops of OFE, Tobacco Lane Cool Menthol). Also, it takes 2-4 puffs before I get a reasonable amount of vapour production.

1) I noticed when pulsing, that the 2 coils should have heated up quicker then they did (my comparison is the prebuilt coil I used in my Hadaly). I’m assuming this is resulting in the initial lack of vapour production. My question is, what causes coils to heat up slower and what should I be doing to get the right result?

2) I’ll open a new thread to ask where to go from here in terms of achieving good flavour with coils.

Okay, vaping on it (with the ultem drip tip, didn’t feel like burning my lips lol) and flavour is disappointing. I get cool menthol without any tobacco flavour (using Shipwrecked with a couple drops of OFE, Tobacco Lane Cool Menthol). Also, it takes 2-4 puffs before I get a reasonable amount of vapour production.

1) I noticed when pulsing, that the 2 coils should have heated up quicker then they did (my comparison is the prebuilt coil I used in my Hadaly). I’m assuming this is resulting in the initial lack of vapour production. My question is, what causes coils to heat up slower and what should I be doing to get the right result?

2) I’ll open a new thread to ask where to go from here in terms of achieving good flavour with coils.

You're doing great @Carnival !
Far better than my first few builds on my second device!!

As for not getting flavour and the coils not heating up fast enough, may i ask the following:

1) have you vaped this liquid before on another device? Ie in your hadaly? It may just be a liquid that you dont like much?

2) what power are you vaping at? Maybe its too low? At 0.3 ohm I would guess you need around 50 Watts to get it going...

You're doing great @Carnival !
Far better than my first few builds on my second device!!

As for not getting flavour and the coils not heating up fast enough, may i ask the following:

1) have you vaped this liquid before on another device? Ie in your hadaly? It may just be a liquid that you dont like much?

2) what power are you vaping at? Maybe its too low? At 0.3 ohm I would guess you need around 50 Watts to get it going...

Thank you! @Silver :)

Yes, I’ve vaped it in my Hadaly and I enjoy this tobacco flavour.

I’m vaping at 35W, should be tobacco flavour coming through at that wattage right?

I’m vaping at 35W, should be tobacco flavour coming through at that wattage right?

Ok, so you know the flavour profile and like it. I dont have the Hadaly but ive heard its a great flavour atty. so doesnt surprise me youre getting better flavour on it.

With the Goon setup, i think take the power up in steps of say 5 Watts till you find a happy place

Ok, so you know the flavour profile and like it. I dont have the Hadaly but ive heard its a great flavour atty. so doesnt surprise me youre getting better flavour on it.

With the Goon setup, i think take the power up in steps of say 5 Watts till you find a happy place

I’ll try that, thank you @Silver!

I’ll try that, thank you @Silver!

Use these pics as a basis for comparison to your own build in terms of coil placement, etc:

b669944fff1d578428cb3b8cf5fff4ac.jpg

e4d2f39d868601fc78b6c396b40b5c9b.jpg

b81560c352f6faf181765171ddfc49b3.jpg

Excuse the dusty coils, haven’t used this one in a while lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35w does seem a bit low for 0.3 plus there’s a fair bit of wire in there that needs to be heated up.

I normally adjust my watts until the volts are at 4 or just under. That normally gets them going in a hurry and you should see a dramatic improvement in flavour.

Very, very nice coils for someone learning to build. Keep going! You’ll be awesome soon!

Back