Rob Fisher

ECIGSSA Admin
Staff member
Administrator
VIP
FINES MASTER
LV

Awards
Time to test another Swiss based Ni-chrome... this time it's the Flat Wire from Haywire. I chose 24g and did 7 wraps 2,5mm for the Exocet in the Billet Box. Came out to 0.44Ω.

The vendor did warn me to fire the wire up old school with my burner because it's pretty springy... I can't find my blowtorch so I just wrapped it like normal and it was manageable... not that pretty but will spend more time wrapping next time.

But most important... how is the flavour? It's great! And I love the look of a flat wire coil... so Haywire is a chicken dinner!

HayWire1.jpg HayWire2.jpg HayWire3.jpg HayWire4.jpg HayWire5.jpg HayWire6.jpg

Thanks Uncle @Rob Fisher. Will have a look at that. I'm a sucker for good flat wire.

Thanks @Rob Fisher
This looks very interesting
Can you pick up any difference in the vape to the normal round wire?

@Silver I assume the flavor will be more crisp. The added surface area with lower resistance should be an added bonus. I think @Sir Vape has them.

Thanks @daniel craig
I most certainly need to try it, but it looks quite thick to me and my preferred "crispness" tends to come from much thinner gauge wires, like 28g and 29g.

I see this is 25g. Btw, i wonder how they measure that gauge since I thought the gauge usually refers to the diameter of a wire. With this being flat, i wonder where they take the measurements from? Maybe its 25g wire that is flattened.

Anyhow, i did try ribbon wire a while back on the Reo with silica type wicks. 4 wraps and loads of surface area but i didnt like it much. I preferred normal round wire. But that was ribbon, so i am assuming this is very different.

Oh wow... maybe my palate isn't that bad... crisper it is! :p

@Rob Fisher , your palate is perfect for picking up tiny differences on a particular juice! I would say you are extremely well positioned to pick up any difference on XXX. And that adds value big time...

Thanks @daniel craig
I most certainly need to try it, but it looks quite thick to me and my preferred "crispness" tends to come from much thinner gauge wires, like 28g and 29g.

I see this is 25g. Btw, i wonder how they measure that gauge since I thiught the gauge usually refers to the diameter of a wire. With this being flat, i wonder where they take the measurements from? Maybe its 25g wire that is flattened.

Anyhow, i did try ribbon wire a while back on the Reo with silica type wicks. 4 wraps and loads of surface area but i didnt like it much. I preferred normal round wire. But that was ribbon, so i am assuming this is very different.
It will be good for fruity flavors. The advantages of flat wire is that its easier to wind your coils and eliminates hot spots. Ribbon wire is mostly used by coil builders alongside other wires such as Framed Staple coils etc. It mostly used to Coil Art rather than as a standalone. Flat wire by Haywire could maybe be different but not too different. It will definitely be a more 'crisp' and 'Sharper' flavor which is why for fruity flavors it will be excellent. Not 100% sure how it would compete against round wire with other flavor profiles.

It will be good for fruity flavors. The advantages of flat wire is that its easier to wind your coils and eliminates hot spots. Ribbon wire is mostly used by coil builders alongside other wires such as Framed Staple coils etc. It mostly used to Coil Art rather than as a standalone. Flat wire by Haywire could maybe be different but not too different. It will definitely be a more 'crisp' and 'Sharper' flavor which is why for fruity flavors it will be excellent. Not 100% sure how it would compete against round wire with other flavor profiles.

Thanks very much @daniel craig
If it leads to crisper and sharper flavour for fruity vapes, then that is like music to my ears.
Definitely need to try this and see.

Oh... the journey never ends....
:):eek::D

I saw this flatwire at my brother the other day. It sure does look nice. Now to convince him to "borrow" me just enough for a dual coil.

I've been using this wire for some time now, and love it!
Ramp up is great, darn easy to work with, with that surface area it gives fantastic flavour on the Hadalies, and the Engines.
Couldn't try on the Big Baby yet, as the darn RBA shorts out.

Hey @Rob Fisher, how tight does the wicking have to be with these coils? Tried some of this wire on my SM and I'm getting dry hits for the first time. I must be wicking it incorrectly because there's no airlock issue as I'm getting plenty of air bubbles. Any tips?

Hey @Rob Fisher, how tight does the wicking have to be with these coils? Tried some of this wire on my SM and I'm getting dry hits for the first time. I must be wicking it incorrectly because there's no airlock issue as I'm getting plenty of air bubbles. Any tips?

I haven't done a build in a Serpent Mini with this wire @Faheem777 and I haven't actually used a SM25 for a while now... but I don't see why it would be different to a normal Ni80 coil? @BigGuy is the boffin with this wire and maybe he has a suggestion... my only guess is you may have your wick a little too tight or maybe too much wicking... but this is just a guess... let hope Craig can shed some light...

Hi Faheem i have noticed with thinner wick on a sm25 it tends to dry hit but if i wick abit tighter and using the bow tie wicking method i don't get any dry hits and wicking seems to be better. Hope this helps of you have any questions feel free to ask! And thanks uncle rob for this amazing thread ! Appreciate it

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Hi Faheem i have noticed with thinner wick on a sm25 it tends to dry hit but if i wick abit tighter and using the bow tie wicking method i don't get any dry hits and wicking seems to be better. Hope this helps of you have any questions feel free to ask! And thanks uncle rob for this amazing thread ! Appreciate it

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Thanks @raihaan. Will try wicking it tighter.

For the first 10mins it worked amazingly, crazy flavour and excellent ramp uptime, great wire!

Another option from Haywire... Twisted flat wire (Ni80).

Dual Twisted 0.14Ω fired at 55 watts with VCT... very flavourful...
TwistedHaywire 001.JPG TwistedHaywire 003.JPG

@Rob Fisher what are you thoughts on that twisted flat wire

@Smoky Jordan it's a little too early for me to really make a call... all to often we get over excited with new stuff and say it's the best thing ever and over time that excitement fades... however the couple of guys that have used it rave about it... I have a dual coil setup in the Icon with VCT Juice and the flavour is pretty good... however for me to make a real call I need to build a single coil and try XXX in the tank or RDA before I make an informed call.

@Smoky Jordan it's a little too early for me to really make a call... all to often we get over excited with new stuff and say it's the best thing ever and over time that excitement fades... however the couple of guys that have used it rave about it... I have a dual coil setup in the Icon with VCT Juice and the flavour is pretty good... however for me to make a real call I need to build a single coil and try XXX in the tank or RDA before I make an informed call.
Please let me know cause also like to use a single coil. Be interesting to see how it compares to the round ni80. Really interested to read your opinion.

Back