Hooked on Kopi Luwak

Steyn777

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
Big shout out to @Hooked - she was kind enough to send me some Kopi Luwak beans and to do the thank you justice I decided to make a small little tutorial - maybe someone might find some value in this:

IMG_20180811_145204.jpg Before

I am using a French press for this so the grind is important

IMG_20180811_145253.jpg After
You don't want to go to fine with a french press for various reasons. 1 if it's to fine it might slip through the mesh filter. 2. You need to extract as much flavour as possible before the water gets cold. (the grind when using an espresso machine needs to be much much finer than this)

IMG_20180811_145425.jpg
Water temperature is another very important factor. You don't want to use boiling water but rather 3 - 5 degrees below boiling point. As water reaches boiling point at different temperatures depending on region, a non-scientific but good rule of thumb is to wait 45 seconds after you have removed it from the stove (kettle) before you add it to the coffee grinds.
IMG_20180811_145956.jpg
As you can see it drops quite quickly

As to how much coffee per ml of water, that is up to you. A general rule of thumb here is 9grams per 170ml but that is not nearly strong enough for me - so if you like it strong, the more grounds per ml will get you there.

IMG_20180811_150043.jpg
After the water has been added, give it a stir and close your french press. Do not press it yet, your coffee needs to brew for at least 4 minutes.
When the longest 4 minutes of your life has finally passed, slowly push down on your french press - your perfect cup is now ready.

Side note - If you do prefer milk with your java, cold milk should be punishable by death! :-@

@Hooked I can not thank you enough for this kind gesture, this is truly a treat and there's a reason Kopi Luwak is considered the best coffee in the world!

Thats amazing @Steyn777 !!
Lovely tutorial
Where does one get these beans?

@Alex, check this out!

Great stuff @Steyn777. I do it the same way, just use cream in stead of milk.

Bought the most amazing SS French Press Flask here - same place that sells the Kopi Luwak. Add ground coffee followed with cream and sugar (if you dare) into the flask outer. Add the water. Brew for 4 minutes. Slowly insert the press part and screw in at last segment. Seal with top part. 350 ml of coffee kept warm for several hours. Been using it for the past few days. Works a treat.

SS-French-press-5.jpg

Big shout out to @Hooked - she was kind enough to send me some Kopi Luwak beans and to do the thank you justice I decided to make a small little tutorial - maybe someone might find some value in this:

View attachment 141574 Before

View attachment 141575 After
You don't want to go to fine with a french press for various reasons. 1 if it's to fine it might slip through the mesh filter. 2. You need to extract as much flavour as possible before the water gets cold. (the grind when using an espresso machine needs to be much much finer than this)

View attachment 141576
Water temperature is another very important factor. You don't want to use boiling water but rather 3 - 5 degrees below boiling point. As water reaches boiling point at different temperatures depending on region, a non-scientific but good rule of thumb is to wait 45 seconds after you have removed it from the stove (kettle) before you add it to the coffee grinds.
View attachment 141577

As to how much coffee per ml of water, that is up to you. A general rule of thumb here is 9grams per 170ml but that is not nearly strong enough for me - so if you like it strong, the more grounds per ml will get you there.

View attachment 141578
After the water has been added, give it a stir and close your french press. Do not press it yet, your coffee needs to brew for at least 4 minutes.
When the longest 4 minutes of your life has finally passed, slowly push down on your french press - your perfect cup is now ready.

Side note - If you do prefer milk with your java, cold milk should be punishable by death! :-@

@Hooked I can not thank you enough for this kind gesture, this is truly a treat and there's a reason Kopi Luwak is considered the best coffee in the world!

@Steyn777 After your excited wait to receive it, I'm vastly relieved that you like it!! :-D

Nice tutorial, i personally throw a spoon or 2 of nescafe instant coffee in a cup, some cold milk and enjoy it whilst watching the sun rise over the ocean and having a drag or 4 on my vape. Just cant contane my chuckle on kopi luwak, knowing that its picked out of tiger manure :), i guess that's why it's priced so high, someone has to pay me a big amount before i would condider picking this up. :-D

Nice tutorial, i personally throw a spoon or 2 of nescafe instant coffee in a cup, some cold milk and enjoy it whilst watching the sun rise over the ocean and having a drag or 4 on my vape. Just cant contane my chuckle on kopi luwak, knowing that its picked out of tiger manure :), i guess that's why it's priced so high, someone has to pay me a big amount before i would condider picking this up. :-D
I just wonder what lead to the first guy to look at the beans and decided "screw it, lets brew it".

Great stuff @Steyn777. I do it the same way, just use cream in stead of milk.

Bought the most amazing SS French Press Flask here - same place that sells the Kopi Luwak. Add ground coffee followed with cream and sugar (if you dare) into the flask outer. Add the water. Brew for 4 minutes. Slowly insert the press part and screw in at last segment. Seal with top part. 350 ml of coffee kept warm for several hours. Been using it for the past few days. Works a treat.

SS-French-press-5.jpg

@Andre - this is most interesting....
Now I'm interested in these beans.

How do you find the flavour of these compared to other more "normal" coffee beans?

it's civet droppings...

@Andre - this is most interesting....
Now I'm interested in these beans.

How do you find the flavour of these compared to other more "normal" coffee beans?
I like it a lot. Not too strong - suppose that has to do with the roast. Major flavour for me compared to "normal" coffee beans. I am not a coffee expert - @Steyn777 will probably give you a much more precise description and flavour notes. Give it a shot.
BTW - love the title of the thread @Steyn777.

View attachment 141574 Before

View attachment 141575 After

View attachment 141576
View attachment 141577

View attachment 141578

I would not say its considered the best coffee in the world, but probly the most expesive. Blue Mountian and yirgacheffe are considered the best.

I have never been much impressed by Kopi Luwak. The last batch I made at home in a Moka pot and whilst it was not bad it was not exceptional in any way.

Kopi Luwak is not what it used to be anymore. There are many theories about why Kopi Luwak is(was) that good but I for one believe that the civets would only pick and eat the best tasting fruit therefore ending up with only the best quality beans in their dung. Whether the passing through the gut makes any difference I would not know.

Since Kopi Luwak has become a major export item I believe that the civets are held in captivity and then fed the fruit, thereby removing what was special about it, or part of it atleast.

Back