How bad is the "paint" issue on the Smok Alien?

EdeezaY

Noob Vaper
LV

Awards
So yet another noob conundrum!

I'm looking to upgrade from my Pico Mega (or should I?)

I'm considering (very fearfully) entering the world of building coils and I've had my eye on the Smok TFV8 Baby Beast tank for a while.

Of late though, I've been considering a new mod as well.

I really like the look of the Smok G-Priv, but the Alien is more within my budget and I could purchase a kit that includes the baby beast tank.

I have been advised against the Alien though due to the paint issues, so I wanted to get some more opinions on this. How bad is this issue? Is it still an issue if a silicon sleeve is used?

I've read somewhere that Smok was addressing this issue. How would I know that the one I purchase is one where the issue has been "addressed" on?

I've also been advised to look at a Minikin V2 instead, but this seems to be slightly out of budget.

I would love to hear opinions from this well experienced group! :)

Hi @EdeezaY

I dont have an Alien so cannot advise you first hand. From what I can tell from what others have posted, the paint can peel but it doesnt affect the workings of the mod.

Just a tip, keep your pico mega as backup if you can. If you have something that works well and you know it, let it become a backup instead of getting rid of it.

Good luck with your choices.

So it was the first batch or so of Aliens which had the poor paint job.

The newer stock should not have the pain peeling issue, some colours only arrived when the new stock did - such as the blue one and the silver one and the white and red one etc. So those colours will be a safe bet.
Alternatively I know that @Naeem_M has received stock from the new batches so the Alien Kit purchased through (www.thevapeindustry.co.za) him should not have any paint issues.

He sells the sleeves too, I see he is out of stock on most of the Alien kits though. Drop him a message and see whether the red is from the 1st batch or a later batch.

The Alien will shed paint like a leperous scalp but it's a good mod and feels amazing in the hand plus very compact for 2x batts.

A silicone sleeve will help but they feel gross and slimy, trap any eliquid droplets and make it difficult to remove from the pocket as it grips onto clothing. The sleeve also attracts lint.

Look at the g-priv that's the one I'd get.

I'm considering (very fearfully) entering the world of building coils and I've had my eye on the Smok TFV8 Baby Beast tank for a while.

I really like the look of the Smok G-Priv, but the Alien is more within my budget and I could purchase a kit that includes the baby beast tank.

I have been advised against the Alien though due to the paint issues, so I wanted to get some more opinions on this. How bad is this issue? Is it still an issue if a silicon sleeve is used?

I've read somewhere that Smok was addressing this issue. How would I know that the one I purchase is one where the issue has been "addressed" on?

I've also been advised to look at a Minikin V2 instead, but this seems to be slightly out of budget.

Hey bud,im on my 2nd Alien kit and love it,sold my 1st 1 only because of the colour,its a great setup,nice and compact,good battery life,nice clouds,I purchased my latest 1 from Vape Cartel and sleeve from Vaperite,I dont think the paint can peel with the sleeve onIMG_20170206_202121.jpg

Hi @EdeezaY , from almost all reviews and complaints, the Alien from what I understand is terrible regarding the paint wirk. The sweat on your hands tend to remove the paint somehow. I would maybe suggest the SMOK Skyhook? You can definitely build on that as well and no issues from what I see with the paint job and it is more or less the pricing of the Alien. Hope this helps..

Hi @EdeezaY , from almost all reviews and complaints, the Alien from what I understand is terrible regarding the paint wirk. The sweat on your hands tend to remove the paint somehow. I would maybe suggest the SMOK Skyhook? You can definitely build on that as well and no issues from what I see with the paint job and it is more or less the pricing of the Alien. Hope this helps..
That thing is a monstrosity... i have not seen one rave review of anyone locally witha skyhook or an rdta box in hand in south africa.

Hi @EdeezaY , have you considered the manikin boost? Very nice mod. I cant speak about the alien because I never owned one but apparently its a great mod, but the only thing that put me off was the paint the peels off. If Smok has indeed fixed the paint issues then you should have a great mod

I own one, heard about the paint issue and took a chance anyway. The paint peel is way worse than I expected. It just disappears of spots randomly so I'm sure it will be silver soon and quite frankly I don't care.

What really amazed me is how compact and lite it was for a dual battery device, yet versatile, powerful, reliable, easy to use, very comfortable in pocket and hand. I was going to get the silicone sleeve when I bought it expecting it to be my stay at home device but after seeing compact and well just awesome it is, I junked that idea since it won't feel as compact and will stick to my pocket like my other sleeved devices and the other reasons that @Sprint mentioned.

If you are a person who generally cares very much for something to look great and s3xy, don't go with this but if you want something that going to do the job and do it well but don't care about some mud getting on your Hilux then get it.

Also, the Beast tank is a real beast of a tank. It is really nice so that's another R400 off your price or free.

I own an Alien and G-Priv and I love both of them. I have to say though that I bought one of the first Aliens and have had no issue with the paint.

I have had my alien for around months now and its still almost perfect :) I got some of the 1st batch that was released so maybe this is why. It's a great mod, power full and small.

which do you prefer the most?.
That's a difficult question. When I'm traveling and moving around I prefer the Alien 'cause it's smaller and easily fits in a pocket. When I'm behind my desk I prefer the G-Priv.

The only issue I have with the Gpriv is that NO it does not peel at all, But the paint comes of REALLY easily with the slightest bumps or Nicks. I have the cover on Most of the time, but have had a nick or two even with it on. Was not dropped. the bottom has nicks on from just putting it down on a hard surface. Also the Firebutton seems to wear Quite quickly. Ive had this Mod for a bit over 2 months now only.

This, In my opinion is one of the things that sets an HE mod apart from a normal or expensive mod.

Dont get me wrong, I love the Quality of this Gpriv, just feel that they have a poor \ thin quality paint on it.

1.jpg 20170210_152933.jpg

I saw this video last night. Now I'm itching to buy a flaked Alien and have it anodized or polish it as in the video.

I've had mine for a few months now, I don't have any paint peeling issues yet. There are some light scratches on the bottom as it stands. I don't have a cover on and its my daily use. No paint issues at all.

Zero paint related issues with my Alien. As I understand, it's only the 1st batch that had the paint issue. The mod is performing beyond my expectations, it's compact and feels secure in the hand. You won't be disappointed going with the Alien :) Also got my sleeve at The Vape Industry from @Naeem_M.

I have an alien with the big baby beast as my daily pocket carry. Its a peach of a mod and I've had no peeling issues whatsoever... A few scratches here and there from other items in the same pocket but nothing visible at first glance. I even dropped it last night from about the height of the toilet pot (ask no questions and hear no lies) which resulted in a ever so slight nick on the bottom corner.

That being said... I own a minikin V2 as well. there's no doubt about the quality of this product and I've been caught stroking it on occassion in the skelm while sucking on the Alien... But the minikin is not very pocket friendly. The texture is almost grippy and the shape a bit odd.

Also, minikin dont have pass through charging... something to keep in mind if intending to carry all day without spare batteries.

The only issue I have with the Gpriv is that NO it does not peel at all, But the paint comes of REALLY easily with the slightest bumps or Nicks. I have the cover on Most of the time, but have had a nick or two even with it on. Was not dropped. the bottom has nicks on from just putting it down on a hard surface. Also the Firebutton seems to wear Quite quickly. Ive had this Mod for a bit over 2 months now only.

This, In my opinion is one of the things that sets an HE mod apart from a normal or expensive mod.

Dont get me wrong, I love the Quality of this Gpriv, just feel that they have a poor \ thin quality paint on it.
How?! ok given I've had mine for only little over a month. But mines looks new out of the box still... first nick will likely cry a river.. only place where I have (tiny indication of) paint coming off is just under the battery nook that you use to lift the battery off, only also cause I use a screwdriver to remove it.. Struggles of a nail biter.

I have been using my white Alien for over a month now and so far no paint issues. I bought a rubber sleeve on eBay for a buck fifty that I use when traveling.Mine is version 2.1 so I'm hoping that any improvements have been made are there. I think it is a great mod and preforms well. I recently bought an ijoy Solo v2 and I am extremely happy with it as well. I highly recommend both.

I bought an Alien when they were first launched in SA... and it was bad... I never set my mod down on any surface that could cause it harm (i also have the DripBox 160 and there was some minor peeling on that) but mine peeled like a motherfluffer after a month of fair use and always carrying it in my pocket. So long story short. I peeled it all off. Repainted the whole mod and got a sleeve from sir vape for rediculously cheap, R65? A sturdy, thick sleeve. Almost makes it look like it was rubberized! Also heard Smok revised the paintjob and its much better now.

All that aside. Its a killer mod man. If it gives up on me, i will most defs replace it with another Alien.

Back