Important: Mechanical Mod Safety

so which batteries would you recommend for:

1. SVD
2. mech mod

protected? unportected? IMR?

please list the full spec of the battery- mostly for 18650

thanks @SunRam

another question, whats the difference between button top/ bubble top?

thanks @SunRam

another question, whats the difference between button top/ bubble top?
Button top has a button at the top standing out as opposed to flat tops. Most devices work with both. Reos prefer the button tops. Agree with @SunRam, go for IMRs - the AW IMR 18650 2000 mAh. If you want to go very low in resistance on a mech - the AW IMR 18650 1600 mAh.

http://www.ecigadvanced.com/blog/e-cig-believed-to-have-started-150000-fire-in-australia/

Interesting statistic that puts all this safety stuff into perspective: its estimated that 1000 fires a year are started by conventional cigarettes, in comparison it seems there were only 3 or 4 reported incidents (based on my googling) in the past year in the US where e cigs experienced some kind of fire or explosion.

Yep - and then when you read the details , it is usually someone that did not know what they were doing or clearly ignored the safety precautions. One person used the wrong USB charger for her e-cig and basically just kept on pumping voltage into it with no cut-off when it was fully charged. This was on a EGO - which probably has a ICR cell in it and is obviously not vented - so it went off like a firecracker .

Great thread this! This has to be a definite read for anyone embarking on the Mech Mod route! Thanks Guys for the in-depth info!

IMR is the way to go it seems... now where does the SONY VTC4 18650 30A 2100MAH fit in?

Compared to most other 30A IMR batteries the VTC4 has a higher mAh, so it will last a while longer if that is what you mean.

Compared to most other 30A IMR batteries the VTC4 has a higher mAh, so it will last a while longer if that is what you mean.

I checked with @Gizmo and this particular Sony is for Sub Ohmers... Yip I get the longer lasting bit... I just wondered if it was the safest battery for a goose like me. BUt no stock yet so will keep going with my AW's.

I checked with @Gizmo and this particular Sony is for Sub Ohmers... Yip I get the longer lasting bit... I just wondered if it was the safest battery for a goose like me. BUt no stock yet so will keep going with my AW's.

@Rob Fisher if you are worried about safety then the two things to look at apart from brand are the following aspects of the battery, 1) chemistry, 2) battery drainage/draw (not sure of the correct term)

1) Chemistry
As you know IMR are the safest

2) Battery Drainage/Draw
You want a battery with the highest amp limit possible.

simplest was is to use an ohms calculator and work out your amps by inserting your voltage and resistance in the relevant fields.

If your amp draw is less than the limit of the battery by at least 2 amps then you are safe. (The 2 amp margin is a general consensus by a few people I have spoken to and not a scientific measure).

Hope that helps.

Great thread this! This has to be a definite read for anyone embarking on the Mech Mod route! Thanks Guys for the in-depth info!

IMR is the way to go it seems... now where does the SONY VTC4 18650 30A 2100MAH fit in?
I think those are called "hybrid" batteries. Wish someone would tell me why? Apparently they are quite safe for mechs.

I think those are called "hybrid" batteries. Wish someone would tell me why? Apparently they are quite safe for mechs.

Hybrid = not pure lithium but mixed with manganese - lessen the fire and boom hazard associated with pure lithium

Hybrid = not pure lithium but mixed with manganese - lessen the fire and boom hazard associated with pure lithium
Thanks, but the AW IMRs are also Lithium Manganese and have never been called "hybrid"?

What @johanct said. It's a hybrid in the sense that they are safe, but have a little higher mah rating

@Matthee another thing: AW (Andrew Wong) buys different types, not concentrating on safe vs not so safe, but more on the maximum safe current he can get out of them, plus operational duty. Then when it meets his personal specs, it get wrapped in the Red wrapper with the AW logo.

Thanks for all the insights here

So those Sony batteries seem like a good option then

What @johanct said. It's a hybrid in the sense that they are safe, but have a little higher mah rating
That does not make sense for me, then the new 2500 mAh Efests IMR will also have to be called hybrids? Seems to me "hybrid" is just another word for "IMR". If so, the Sony VTC batteries are also IMR and good to go for mechs?

That does not make sense for me, then the new 2500 mAh Efests IMR will also have to be called hybrids? Seems to me "hybrid" is just another word for "IMR". If so, the Sony VTC batteries are also IMR and good to go for mechs?

And if @Matthee is confused then you can only imagine how I feel! Chameleon, Smarties... you know the story!

And if @Matthee is confused then you can only imagine how I feel! Chameleon, Smarties... you know the story!
Haha, don't even try to start reading up on these on the Internet, could drive you mad. But it does seem to me "hybrid" and "IMR" essentially are the same thing for our purposes. In the tests I have seen the Sony VTC actually does very well.

My understanding was that pure IMRs were always behind in mah rating. Hybrids took the best of IMR safety, and increased the mah rating by changing the chemistry to achieve 20% higher mah rating.

But that was all based on the technology at the time. Battery manufacturers are constantly developing higher mah capacity cells. The new efest IMRs are not hybrid per say, but simply new technology IMR which has the higher capacity.

At least that is based on my understanding of the term. You can't really compare the new technology higher mah efests with the older higher mah hybrids

Marketing buffs will always come up with words and terms to bamboozle the consumer just for the sake of selling, technically even a Lythium Polymer is a hybrid because it doesn't consist out of 1 element only.

Marketing buffs will always come up with words and terms to bamboozle the consumer just for the sake of selling, technically even a Lythium Polymer is a hybrid because it doesn't consist out of 1 element only.
I agree, I think words like Hybrid is used too loosely.
Like calling a Cad technical support guy an Application Engineer.

For our purposes a "safe" battery is one with a continuous amp rating higher than what our coil/s would demand. Drawing more current than the battery is specified at, even if it is a Sony or AW with Rolls Royce stickers, is an "unsafe" battery.

Back