Is this a local juice?

Feliks Karp

Getting schwifty
LV

Awards
Dsc_0169-350x435.jpg

Come now, using a valve/dota 2 IP character and just throwing a filter on an existing image of that character? Then tomorrow someone makes another thread about how vaping gets a bad image. Stupid.

Can you please explain why it stupid? Not asking to be a cnut, but because I am very curious now...

Using stolen art AND a character from a video game (without a doubt without permission), anything else that needs to be explained?

Ah, o.k. thanks, my mind was far away from games character. Was leaning towards evil darkside things.... Anyway, moving on...

Nevermind that it's just lazy theft of an official image, whoever did it should be thrown in jail for being such a lazy fleeb.theft.jpg

Hahahahaha @RichJB No my eyes are genetic. Comes with being a T4000 model.

I can also charge my 18650s by inserting them in any orifice.

26650 is a problem though.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

:eek:

With regard to the copyright infringement, I think it's often motivated by sheer ignorance as much as malice. When the Hellgate Iron Maiden thing erupted, a Hellgate representative defended their IP theft by claiming that Iron Maiden couldn't copyright the name, it was in common English usage centuries before the band even formed. Which is true. But he's not getting the nuance that it's not the words Iron Maiden that are copyrighted, it's the brand Iron Maiden in its special font that is trademarked.

A lot of juice manufacturers are "mom and pop" type concerns where the owner was a salaried worker before. They don't have much business nous or the resources to hire lawyers so they just take chances in the belief that it's OK and nobody will mind.

Last edited:
:eek:

With regard to the copyright infringement, I think it's often motivated by sheer ignorance as much as malice. When the Hellgate Iron Maiden thing erupted, a Hellgate representative defended their IP theft by claiming that Iron Maiden couldn't copyright the name, it was in common English usage centuries before the band even formed. Which is true. But he's not getting the nuance that it's not the words Iron Maiden that are copyrighted, it's the brand Iron Maiden in its special font that is trademarked.

A lot of juice manufacturers are "mom and pop" type concerns where the owner was a salaried worker before. They don't have much business nous or the resources to hire lawyers so they just take chances in the belief that it's OK and nobody will mind.

I agree with this totally, it's like the local bakery selling party packs for a kids birthday party with a picture of the smurfs or a minion on. IP laws generally don't even factor in the thinking when this is done, it's just a party pack for a kids party BUT lawyers can drag you over the coals for it. They just don't know any better.

I really don't have an issue with the image being used. This is not some mega corporate cashing in on a global level, it's quite possibly a little "mom n pop" business using the image coz it looks cool.
If the image owners get peeved SFW, send a cease and desist.

It's about the precedent and all that this brand needs to happen is someone to alert the company the art is taken from them and then bad things happen.

IMO this person needs to rethink the label.

I think it's often motivated by sheer ignorance as much as malice

I agree with this totally, it's like the local bakery selling party packs for a kids birthday party with a picture of the smurfs or a minion on. IP laws generally don't even factor in the thinking when this is done

I really don't have an issue with the image being used. This is not some mega corporate cashing in on a global level, it's quite possibly a little "mom n pop" business using the image coz it looks cool.

You all almost got your first disagree ratings from me, but I'm not a passive-aggressive kind of guy. As some one who makes a meager living doing several kinds of "art" it always shocks me to find my work online with tumblr-esque quotes on it and my watermark cut off or in some one else's portfolio, and I'm afraid this thought pattern is way more along the lines of the below cartoon:

O5SdUUu.jpg

Even if you are a "mom and pop" outfit, if you want to start a business you must adhere to the realities of owning and starting a business and that includes paying some one to design your stuff or doing it from scratch by yourself. You cannot simply steal something because in your mind "art" is just something that once created can be just used because "lol pictures", it's some one else's lively hood. And as @Sprint stated, this does end up shining a dubious light on vaping once the owner of the IP/image is pissed off and makes a fuss over it.

I'll side with @Feliks Karp on this issue, brand theft is usually the product of a lazy unimaginative mind.
Typically the thiever attempts to profit on someones elses coat tails and looks for a easily identifiable logo etc in order to attract a segment of the population that identified with the original.
The underlying intent is what the lawers pitch up for and rightly so.

If for example you're selling jacuzzzi's, pools and related equipment and decide to use the name "Waterworld" as your brand, but use the "M" from MacDonalds and flip it upside down to be your "W"... you might be in a grey area, especially if you use the same color scheme as Mac D's.
That I would see as a creative appeal to the subconcious of the consumer to create an unknown brand with subconcious preapproval based on an existing well known entity.

But outright logo/brand theft is piracy and just wrong.

Maybe I should add that the character in question is called "phantom assassin" for those who don't play games or don't know dota 2, that would probably make this more obvious. This is entirely a cash grab linking to the game's popularity beyond the discussion over IP theft.

Valve/Dota is very generous when it comes to using there intellectual property.
They encourage people to make movies, drawings, lots of other things based on their properties.
However... they do not like anyone selling merchandise based their intellectual property.

Hope our PPF - "Pirate Picture Friend" sees this and change it before he gets a letter from Valve asking for their :stick: $$ cut :punch:

Its very simple really. Adding a filter does not make the image original, therefore it is not legal to use. Doesn't matter if you are a global enterprise or a simple worker. They should definitely rethink the logo, even if legal action never befalls them, it's bad practice and in bad taste

I don't have anything to say about the artwork, but i have to ad that this juice is indeed local, and IMO some of the best juice out there at the moment. So maybe the lack of imagination used on the artwork is compensated for by the sheer brilliance in creating this line. It's a fairly new line because I only received mine yesterday and it's definitely worth my money, artwork aside.

I'm keeping in mind that this is a new juice line and the creator maybe didn't have the funds for a graphic designer which I'll be more than happy to help with for say a 100ml bottle;)

I'm keeping in mind that this is a new juice line and the creator maybe didn't have the funds for a graphic designer which I'll be more than happy to help with for say a 100ml bottle;)

Irrelevant, falls in to start up cost, can I come break in to your home because I really need a new printer as mine has just broke? As I've already pointed out the character is called "phantom assassin" this is beyond stealing an image, I highly doubt the chosen character was accidental, label could have easily been used with the character omitted.

Back