Is this a local juice?

As s Graphic Designer I think the worst possible job brief I can possibly get is: " Can you make me something, I want it to look like this" and more often than not, you are expected to replicate someone else's work. I have tried to convince many a client that doing that is theft, often resulting in me having to turn down work because I refuse to use someone else's work in order to keep a client happy.

I'm just here here to soak up knowledge... Basically I'm a sponge.

You all almost got your first disagree ratings from me, but I'm not a passive-aggressive kind of guy. As some one who makes a meager living doing several kinds of "art" it always shocks me to find my work online with tumblr-esque quotes on it and my watermark cut off or in some one else's portfolio, and I'm afraid this thought pattern is way more along the lines of the below cartoon:

View attachment 69858

Even if you are a "mom and pop" outfit, if you want to start a business you must adhere to the realities of owning and starting a business and that includes paying some one to design your stuff or doing it from scratch by yourself. You cannot simply steal something because in your mind "art" is just something that once created can be just used because "lol pictures", it's some one else's lively hood. And as @Sprint stated, this does end up shining a dubious light on vaping once the owner of the IP/image is pissed off and makes a fuss over it.

That's the way it goes on social media. Anything can and will be copied, and it will be redistributed. IE, my original photo's that I attach here on the forum end up in search engine searches, and are used elsewhere without my authorization.

A lot of juice vendors just use art found in the public domain. That's perfect. If you can't afford to pay for an original design and piece, there is an ample supply of works that are not protected by copyright - you are perfectly entitled to use the work and exploit it.

I made a thread about this when I first joined and some disagreed with my views but I think it bodes poorly for the industry if it becomes known as one that regularly infringed upon the copyright of others. It just gives more ammunition to those who seek to clamp down upon it. The last thing we need is for a court to have a case concerning an e-liquid or vape related product, bringing with it a whole bunch of unwanted attention. If we argue for self-regulation then we must self-regulate.

Plus, prices should be calculated to include the cost of branding and design, but that's another story for another thread entirely. >:)

True, @Imperator, although the vaping industry's pleas to be allowed to self-regulate were a non-starter. No industry is trusted to self-regulate, least of all one that is based in China. The mere fact that the vaping industry believed it had a chance to make it happen betrays their naivety. If it goes into your body and it has potential for harm, it is going to be regulated to the nth degree. You can bet your house on it. Claiming "but but but... it's safer than smoking!" isn't going to cut any ice. Regulators don't only regulate the most dangerous product in each category. They regulate everything. And then some.

I don't think juice manufacturers ripping off trademarks is going to harm vaping's image unduly because nobody in the public really cares and besides, most industries do it. Even individuals do it. The overwhelming majority of people have illegal software on their computer, and/or have downloaded music/games/movies without paying for it. If anything, the public are on the side of the pirates. Just look at the anger that was unleashed when Napster was shut down.

An extra dimension to my protest against this label is it clearly appeals to "kids" the 12 year olds and above that play these games.

I know adults play these games too, in before snarky comment ;).

@RichJB, Oh I agree completely. I would go so far as to say that if it exists and is sold on the market it will be regulated. But if we claim that we are self-regulating (which is what we are doing currently), then we must actually do it. Regardless of whether or not government regulations will follow. It is for the benefit of the consumer after all (child proof caps, warning labels, etc.)

The second issue I was referring to was not so much related to public perception but regulatory action. If court cases start popping up then it will be brought into the public's gaze, sure, but more importantly it will become an 'issue' which the state will want to address. That is, the organs of state will notice that the industry is growing (perhaps they will pick up on the various infringements occurring as an indication of this growth), and will want to step in.

You could view the Napster thing as the perfect example of this - people may agree or not really care but that doesn't matter, it still got shut down.

Just catching up with this thread now.
Good to read.

So @Feliks Karp - you gonna tell us where you found this juice or not?

There is no excuse. A juice maker should Google and thoroughly research the intended juice name and logo before manufacturing the juice.

Talking about the vaping industry management of its image, this Vaper Games thing is becoming quite the controversy. Enyawreklaw having a go at Twisted420, Ambitionz getting into flame wars with his subscribers, Vapin Heathen desperately trying to explain why it's all just good clean fun, etc. I don't know what the FDA will make of it, although they likely haven't heard or seen anything yet.

If you cannot afford graphic design you cannot afford a label. And cannot afford to release. Business plan needs adjustment in a case like this.

Hey guys

so I was following this thread and relised I'm almost in the same boat. I've started mix my own juice and started selling it right..... got the name down but the logo and that needs some work and I want to avoid coping someone else's work.

In terms of the legal aspects what would I need to do to be able to sell juice to the big guys?????

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Hey guys

so I was following this thread and relised I'm almost in the same boat. I've started mix my own juice and started selling it right..... got the name down but the logo and that needs some work and I want to avoid coping someone else's work.

In terms of the legal aspects what would I need to do to be able to sell juice to the big guys?????

I want to avoid coping someone else's work

It's simple. Don't. There are gazillions of free images online that you can use and alter to your heart's content. Hell, even paying for a decent image is cheap enough. Taking a copyrighted image and modifying it slightly is still copyright infringement. I'm sure if you search around a bit you could get something you like, even if its not perfect. You could always cheap out now and a proper logo at a later time

About Us

WE’RE VAPESHOPSA

With the latest vape technology, the best products and the biggest selection. Vapeshopsa: Directly to You. VAPESHOPSA is a game-changer in the world of Vape Retail. We offer Free Shipping with Minimum orders and lowest prices. We are the largest Vape shop in South Africa. http://www.vapeshopsa.co.za/vape-kits/

HOW CAN WE DO IT?

Vapes is our thing. We’ve been in this industry a long time; since the beginning, really. VAPESHOPSA has master distribution agreements in place with most of the major vape manufacturers in the world. Because we receive the absolute best pricing from these manufacturers, we are able to pass these savings on to you. But that’s not enough for us. We want to offer these amazing prices while delivering a level of service and support that is beyond what our vape consumers are accustomed to. That’s why we bring you Free Shipping with minimums orders and Lowest Prices in South Africa. Start you vaping experience and shop now on our huge selection on vapes.

WHY DO WE DO IT?

We have a deep-seated passion for, and a sincere commitment to what vaping offers the smoking community, and we have stood by this conviction all along. What vape products do for people has changed lives, offering more control, and given smokers options where they never had them. It’s about empowerment, and living the life you want.

VAPESHOPSA is all about this concept of putting the power into people’s hands. It’s about offering everything; because with so many vapers out there, and so many people looking for so many different products, we want to offer it all. We’re one of the fastest growing names in the industry, and we’re all about giving you what you want.

This is a tech industry, and vapers are seriously hands-on people. They know what they’re looking for. They know what’s out there. They know what’s coming out. They know the specs, the details, the intricacies, the ohms, volts, and watts; we know because we’re vapers.

It is our aim to offer the most inclusive, highest selection, and greatest prices out there. We back everything up, offer unbeatable prices, and make our products available to those who seek the best. We take customer satisfaction and customer service super seriously; what’s a good business without stoked customers?

If you’re looking for the best vape products and the best prices in South Africa, you’ve come to the right place!

They say they have the biggest selection in Africa amongst their more outrageous claims.

Not surprised they sell stolen label art after reading that.

Almost forgot... They have a "master distribution agreement with most of the big juices houses in America".
Sure bro of course you do :risas3:

Hey guys

@dominic.hartze Any designer worth their salt would be able to create a logo and labels for you without infringing on any copyrights or breaking any intellectual property rights. My suggestion is approach a good designer and ask them what they can do for you. That way you know you will have quality work and you would be able to sell your product with the piece of mind that no laws were broken and nothing was stolen.

Doing that got a designer busy with the logo.

True, @Imperator, although the vaping industry's pleas to be allowed to self-regulate were a non-starter. No industry is trusted to self-regulate, least of all one that is based in China. The mere fact that the vaping industry believed it had a chance to make it happen betrays their naivety. If it goes into your body and it has potential for harm, it is going to be regulated to the nth degree. You can bet your house on it. Claiming "but but but... it's safer than smoking!" isn't going to cut any ice. Regulators don't only regulate the most dangerous product in each category. They regulate everything. And then some.

I don't think juice manufacturers ripping off trademarks is going to harm vaping's image unduly because nobody in the public really cares and besides, most industries do it. Even individuals do it. The overwhelming majority of people have illegal software on their computer, and/or have downloaded music/games/movies without paying for it. If anything, the public are on the side of the pirates. Just look at the anger that was unleashed when Napster was shut down.

I must disagree that no industry is trusted to self-regulate as here in South Africa an example that relates to this topic is the advertising industry, the ASASA (Advertising Standards Authority of South Africa) is a self regulated authority tasked with overseeing all forms of advertising regardless of what media, from product packaging to television. That said, if this were a perfect world we could approach the manufacturer of this label, ask them to change it, and in due time they would but I doubt that approach would work.

I must disagree that no industry is trusted to self-regulate as here in South Africa an example that relates to this topic is the advertising industry, the ASASA (Advertising Standards Authority of South Africa) is a self regulated authority tasked with overseeing all forms of advertising regardless of what media, from product packaging to television. That said, if this were a perfect world we could approach the manufacturer of this label, ask them to change it, and in due time they would but I doubt that approach would work.

Additionally if one felt this would hurt the vaping or advertising industry then one would be entitled to go to a regulatory body like ASASA and lodge a complaint.

Doing that got a designer busy with the logo.

Good man. All the best with the juice, do share the final look and feel with us, @Sickboy 77 had great success with his juices from exposure on this forum.

Back