Kayfun Rba Or Aspire Nautilus (on Svd)

Fickie

Experienced Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi All,

So I'm thinking about RBA. What's putting me off at the moment is that I haven't found a one stop article that can teach me about diy coils, things like what affects resistance, simple things like lower gauge = lower resistance or more coils = more resistance. Tools I'll need and why. e.g. why I need to heat the coils with a blowtorch after its made up etc.

Which led me to thinking of just taking an Aspire Nautilus and buying replacement coils.

I am choosing Kayfun as everywhere seems to say its an easy one to work with. The positive and negative posts with screw tops also look easier to work with than say building a coil for an evod/ protank...

Would love some comments from more experienced Vapers please.

Regards,
Fickie

PS I'm happy to look at other brands/ types as well, like the I-Go as long as they are relatively easy and have a good price / quality ratio.

Last edited:
Good question... I've been wondering the same.

I really like the look of the Russian 91% aswell. Slowtech has a copy for a really good price which seems good according to the reviews

Last edited:
My take. Written for someone used to clearomizer tanks using replacement coils. On the assumption that the atomizers below will be used on a VV/WW electonic mod, the SVD in this case. Imo the Kayfun Lite Plus or the Russian 91 % is not only better and less complicated, but also smaller than the Kayfun 3.1. So discussing the former below.
  1. Pros of the Aspire Nautilus
    1. Easy to fill, clean, assemble.
    2. Easy to replace coils.
    3. Coils can be cleaned and dry burned for longer life.
    4. Easy to change flavours, just decant current juice, clean & dryburn (or replace) the coil if required, fill and vape.
    5. Good flavour and vapour, medium throat hit.
    6. Takes 5 ml of juice - so can take you through most of a day.
    7. Air flow control.
  2. Cons of the Aspire Nautilus
    1. Relatively expensive to acquire.
    2. Expensive to maintain with replacement coils. You can make your own coils and do your own wicking, but very fiddly to do.
    3. It is a large, conspicuous unit.
    4. Good flavour and vapour, but not the best you can get.
    5. That glass tank can break.
  3. Pros of the Kayfun Lite Plus/Russian 91%
    1. Not many atomizers can beat the Kayfun for flavour. No clearomizers can imo.
    2. Good vapour and medium/strong throat hit.
    3. Easy to fill (as opposed to the Kayfun 3.1, which is more of a pita)
    4. Takes 4.5 ml of juice, which is substantial.
    5. Can take a fall without breaking.
    6. You can build a coil and wick to suit your personal preference.
    7. Cheap to maintain.
    8. Air flow control.
  4. Cons of the Kayfun Lite Plus/Russian 91%
    1. For me one of the most difficult of atomizers to coil - you have to get that coil right in between a very tight space above the air hole.
    2. To get the wicking right can be tricky.
    3. Lots of parts to clean and assemble.
    4. More difficult and time consuming to change flavours.
    5. Relatively expensive to acquire (the original is very expensive).
There are many, many videos on YouTube showing you how to coil and wick a Kayfun, even an Aspire Nautilus. Coiling is not difficult. Here is a video, which imo is great on the basics of a micro coil for any RBA.

But you do not have to start of with a micro coil:

If you are uncertain whether you are made for coiling, first try something cheapish like an Igo-L. This should give you a good feel, not only for coiling, but also for RBAs in general. Do not feel compelled to get an RBA. Many, many vapers are more than satisfied with their clearomizer tanks, and their technology has advanced substantially.

Hmmm, still not sure. I think I'll have to get both..... Need to take the next step. I see the igo-L is well priced at Vapesa and they have pre-made coils, is it worth a try or, straight up to Kay Fun Lite / R91 or Ithaka. You guys have to help me narrow it down not grow it !!;)

Must say, I removed the beauty ring from the SVD with PT2 and while it is a very light airy draw done something major for me on the throat hit, clouds and taste. My bro and I were in (admittedly newbie) vaping heaven last night from it. It even worked brilliantly on his ego twist 1100mah battery.

Though it might be bad overall there is nothing quite like instant gratification :D

hi @Fickie

all i can say is, after i got my russian 91%, i havent put it down.

i also have an igol, and before i have these two units i was using protanks and DCTs.

the igol was my first rebuildable and i was just as shaky as you, can i do it, is it a mission and all that, but once i got it and just thought what the heck, how difficult can it be, and its all history from there.

the igol is extremely easy to build coils on.

then i got the russian, so after a few coil making testers on the igol, i have the russian a go, and it was easier than i expected.

so my advice is, if u can get both.

i used my igol mainly at home, and the russian through out the day.

and obviously, this goes without saying, if you get stuck you know where to come :)

hi @Fickie

all i can say is, after i got my russian 91%, i havent put it down.

i also have an igol, and before i have these two units i was using protanks and DCTs.

the igol was my first rebuildable and i was just as shaky as you, can i do it, is it a mission and all that, but once i got it and just thought what the heck, how difficult can it be, and its all history from there.

the igol is extremely easy to build coils on.

then i got the russian, so after a few coil making testers on the igol, i have the russian a go, and it was easier than i expected.

so my advice is, if u can get both.

i used my igol mainly at home, and the russian through out the day.

and obviously, this goes without saying, if you get stuck you know where to come :)

@Riaz is your R91% an original or a slowtech copy? Really considering getting the one from FT but not sure what it will be like

mine is a clone, also from FT
And I take it you happy with it? Yay, gonna pull the trigger on mine now.

I see there is more than one supplier on FT, any chance you remember which one you got?

And I take it you happy with it? Yay, gonna pull the trigger on mine now.

I see there is more than one supplier on FT, any chance you remember which one you got?

i got the $26 one

@Fickie , when you get your rba come show me as i am also looking for one , but building the coils is gonna be a kak one for me

Thanks guys. When I said both, I meant a 1x rebuildable and 1 x Aspire. That's changed now :)

@Matthee, haven't checked out those video's yet. I have a feeling, that after I do, I'm gonna go Reo.

Hmm now where's that second kidney of mine....

i think you should be asking where's that left nut of mine hehehe

Wow! Kayfun lite is well priced from FT.
Just remember they not original, they Chinese copies.
The Russian 91% from FT is a copy of the original, which is a clone of the kayfun. Lol

Thanks @Riaz!

LOL!

Clones, some seem like copies. The Kayfun (unless its just the pic) has the 'svoemestoe' etched in it.

Sorry,
Is the Russian easier to work with than Kayfun and better than kayfun lite as it is still air adjustable?

You can buy a pair of fake reeboks or oakleys with the proper logo.

Copyright laws in China are rather non existent it seems

Sorry,
Is the Russian easier to work with than Kayfun and better than kayfun lite as it is still air adjustable?

That is my understanding aswell. Although the kayfun lite plus has adjustable air flow but if I remember correctly is in an awkward place

Yes and the Germans win the build war. It's designed in Russia, built in Germany

One con that I've heard of, of the Russian, is that some ( not all ) have a slight whistle when you sucking/vaping which the kayfun doesn't have.

Back