Koh Gen Do No taste

daniel craig

Vaping Addict
LV

Awards
I am wicking with a 32 Gauge kanthal A1 at 2.1 Ohms using Japanese Organic cotton, Koh Gen Do.
How do you prepare KGD for wicking? Do I boil it first? Peel off top layers? How can I get my KGD to give me flavor. I get a lot of smoke on it, and a nic hit but no taste or slight taste.

try a different flavour one you havent had in a while maybe something minty or menthol sounds like you have vapers tongue

I notice that when I wick with Jap cotton, I have to use less cotton, if I wick with too much, then I lose some of the flavour. Maybe try going a bit lower on your resistance, try for around 1-1.5ohm and see if that helps

I previously hated kgd.
Now i love the stuff in my tanks.
U peel the outer layers off. Then cut what I need and wick. The key is that the kgd needs to move with slight resistance in the coil. Also a point to note is that for the first 2-3ml the cotton is still settling but after that the taste is right up there

Try some organic cotton pads from Dischem, very cheap, works very good!
You can use them as is, no need to seperate layers, it flufs out nicely and spreds when juiced up, and as all cotton goes, a little goes a long way!
This is just a suggestion, to eliminate the KGD as the culprit.
Many other things seem to play a good amount in the production of flavour it seems.
What wire are you using, gauge, ID and amount of wraps, Ohm reading, compressed or spaced, how close the coil is to the airflow port, wattage set on the device..
So start eliminating things, by comparing another cotton in the exact same build, then move onto other coils, etc.
Case and point on my Goliath.
Built a 26G 10 wrap (I think) on 2mm ID, came out to 0.32 Ohm. Flavour was ok, but not great, like the build I got from @Jakey .
Rebuilt it with 28G 7 wraps on 2mm ID, came out to 0.53 Ohms, and lowered the coils a tad too. Flavour AMAZING!
All with using the same cotton, cut from the exact same pad.

I am wicking with a 32 Gauge kanthal A1 at 2.1 Ohms using Japanese Organic cotton, Koh Gen Do.
How do you prepare KGD for wicking? Do I boil it first? Peel off top layers? How can I get my KGD to give me flavor. I get a lot of smoke on it, and a nic hit but no taste or slight taste.
What device you using?

What device you using?
I'm using a regulated device, the twisp clearo. I have other mech devices, this is my back up device. I just got the KGD a few days ago and decided to try it out. I just used it as is and I get a lot of smoke but no flavor

The piece I used could maybe be thick because I had to pull it to get it in place. I'm using 32gauge kanthal A1 with 7 wraps.

Are you rebuilding the twisp coils or are you building another RDA?

Try some organic cotton pads from Dischem, very cheap, works very good!
You can use them as is, no need to seperate layers, it flufs out nicely and spreds when juiced up, and as all cotton goes, a little goes a long way!
This is just a suggestion, to eliminate the KGD as the culprit.
Many other things seem to play a good amount in the production of flavour it seems.
What wire are you using, gauge, ID and amount of wraps, Ohm reading, compressed or spaced, how close the coil is to the airflow port, wattage set on the device..
So start eliminating things, by comparing another cotton in the exact same build, then move onto other coils, etc.
Case and point on my Goliath.
Built a 26G 10 wrap (I think) on 2mm ID, came out to 0.32 Ohm. Flavour was ok, but not great, like the build I got from @Jakey .
Rebuilt it with 28G 7 wraps on 2mm ID, came out to 0.53 Ohms, and lowered the coils a tad too. Flavour AMAZING!
All with using the same cotton, cut from the exact same pad.

@Redeemer, I posted earlier that I would like to start building my own but after reading your comments, going to stick with the coils that "come in a box", damn, just seems so daunting, all I have is a Kanger Mini to experiment on and need a translator to tell me what you so eloquently stated. YouTube videos (and yourself) make it sound "so easy", at this point, hate being a noob....

Try less cotton perhaps? Thinner cut strips.

The standard twisp clearo atomizer. I previously used to wick with silica which worked well but I wanted to try out KGD because of its good reviews.

OK so you rebuilding the twisp coils .. maybe get the ohms close to the original coil and as other stated use a bit less. Wicking materiel is different to every man, i like KGD, @Rob Fisher like Rayon. So you must play around

@DarkSide it's really easy once you get going actually.
I still wanted to get someone to physically show me how to build coils and wich, untill I just decided to sit down, start wrapping coils, test them, chuck them, try again... Whick them, no juice draw, start again once you get all the liquid uit of the atty you just filled up to the brim... But eventually it all makes sense! Till you reach the point like me where you rebuild an atty or two out of sheer boredom :-D
Give it a shot, practice makes perfect.

@DarkSide Try YouTube. They got all the videos to get you started. It's really easy. All it takes is a few tries. You will get a few failures but don't let that stop you.

Like i said with wicking material it is each man to his/ own

Play around try something else, maybe you like organic cotton from dischem, i use to

Back