Lemo 2 builds and wicking...

PeterHarris

- = NINJA = -
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
i just rebuilt my lemo 2 and i thought a tank this good deserves a special place where we can share pics of our builds and wicking.

sadly i only realised this now, after building, so i dont have any pics for now.

but it seems the ideal coil is 24G, 6 wraps on a 2.5mm ID. (what is the ID of the built in coil?) becuase thats the one im refering to, i think its 2.5mm, maybe even 3mm

i had to build with 26G, as i dont have 24G.

oh and i wick with jap cotton, cut it 1-2mm wider than the outside diameter of the coil. and 1-2mm longer than to the deck, so my wick hangs over the deck if that makes sense, not just touching it.

Come on. Don't be lazy, take it apart and rebuild it again....this time with pictures :p

Come on. Don't be lazy, take it apart and rebuild it again....this time with pictures :p
nope :p its got the last bit of "the daddler" juice in it - im sipping it like a fine wine...... being sad at the same time....

Not going to repost it, but I'll link to my Lemo 2 build which can be found here :D

Summary: 26G, 2.5mm ID, 6wraps, 0.82 Ohm

This seems to be my ideal coil for the Lemo 2 (nailed it on the first try :dance:) - it has performed perfectly and I actually rebuilt a very similar one the second time around ;)
It helps that I had a few months of building experience on the original Lemo as this one works exactly the same :)

Nice post @free3dom. Why did you choose to build a spaced coil over a contact coil?

Nice post @free3dom. Why did you choose to build a spaced coil over a contact coil?

If I @free3dom doesn't mind me taking a stab at this - I *think* it would be because it evens out the heating along the length of the cotton that is covered by the coil - reducing the intense and concentrated heat in the middle, and giving a more even heat across the coil - hopefully reducing dry hits or drying out in general. I need to give this a try as I get a dry hit when I chain vape my Lemo 2 :(

Curious. I've experimented with spaced coils - although I build them as contact coils and then stretch them, I find I get them nice and evenly spaced that way - but in hopes of controlling the temperature a bit. I prefer cool vapes and generally fight with wicking because I'm very sensitive to the taste of cotton etc.

If I @free3dom doesn't mind me taking a stab at this - I *think* it would be because it evens out the heating along the length of the cotton that is covered by the coil - reducing the intense and concentrated heat in the middle, and giving a more even heat across the coil - hopefully reducing dry hits or drying out in general. I need to give this a try as I get a dry hit when I chain vape my Lemo 2 :(

It does provide better wicking, and so reduces the chance of dry hits - but that's not really why I do spaced coils, especially on the Lemo/Lemo 2 with which I've had no wicking issues at all :D

My main reason for building spaced coils is twofold.

First, I find that it improves flavour somewhat (not much, but noticeable) probably due to the fact that airflow around the coil is better - also, when doing less than 10 wraps it gives you a nice wide coil :)

Secondly, and most important for me is the fact that spaced coils seem to last longer for me - it does not gunk up as quickly as compressed coils do. On tanks I'm lazy and the more life I get out of a coil the better :D

The key to spaced coils is to get the spacing as even as possible, which seems to prevent spitting (which I think happens due to hotspots when spacing is uneven). To do this I wrap para coils and remove one lead (grab it and pull on it while the para coil is still on whatever you wrapped around) - a fantastic method I learned from @Yiannaki which creates perfectly spaced coils :)

Man I'm jonesing for a Lemo2 :(

Do you think a 3mm coil would fit? Nowadays my builds generally look like this - thicker, short vertical coils. I'm sure that'd (single coil of course) fit in a lemo right?

Coils.jpg

Do you think a 3mm coil would fit? Nowadays my builds generally look like this - thicker, short vertical coils. I'm sure that'd (single coil of course) fit in a lemo right?

View attachment 26751
yea, i have seen vertical builds for the lemo2 - some even stuff the chimey with wicking and leave the inside of the coil clear.
18823-ae106f36b182bc247ff633c56cb993d6.jpg

I had alot of issues with the lemo 2 at first on 26g and 28 not matter the diameter or spaced or closed.

What i recently found is that the jap cotton doesnt work for me. Organic cotton from dischem for some reason works like a charm. I have a 1.2 ohm build on 2mm 28g and havent had a single dry hit up to 18w vapour and flavour is awesome.

@Rafique we're gonna need a pic of the packet. Is it the beige one? And which jap cotton? JGD, Puff or other?

Will post pics on my next build. Cant remember got it from a friend. Whats the difference between the cotton that comes with the subtank mini and the cotton in the lemo 2. The lemo 2 cotton also works perfect but the cotton that comes with the ST mini doesnt agree with my builds.

I really don't know man. I've been tempted to buy a whole bag of Koh Gen Do for myself though. Rayon doesn't work well for me. Wicks great, but more of a cotton taste than cotton for me, so I can understand your frustration with different wick materials.

I havent trued rayon yet but the only thing that works for me is organic cotton

View attachment 26751

3mm (and even bigger) coils, horizontal/vertical fit quite comfortably in the Lemo 1/2.

The problem with vertical coils in an RTA though is the wicking - it's quite a process to get it wicked well since you can't put the wick through the coil as you would in a dripper, you have to wrap the coil. I've had mixed results :)

But the coiling part is really easy - the Lemo 2 is a pleasure to coil ;)

I fired up the Lemo2 while on holiday this past week
Worked okay. But got some dry hits. Tried a new wick. Worked a bit better. Some dry hits still
Dont like the drip tip. Doesnt fit properly - too tight. The oRings got a bit damaged, lol.

Look, i love my Lemo1 and am sure I will also get to like the Lemo2 - but what I cannot stand about these tanks is that the wicking is inconsistent for me. Despite trying so many times on the Lemo1 i still sometimes get dry hits on longer puffs. And when it works, i have no idea why.

I generally use 28g. And 2mm ID compressed coils. Around 1.0 to 1.2 ohms. And I dont use much power. Say 12 to 18 Watts. I wick mostly with Rayon but also got the same results with organic cotton.

Maybe I need to try a bigger ID and 26g wire and a spaced coil and Japanese Cotton. Not sure though but these tanks dont give me much confidence in being able to get a consistent vape

I agree with you Silver the vape is inconsistent especially with the Lemo 2. When it does work it works lekker, but the Lemo 1 had better flavour and vape in my opinion. I think many people were ranting and raving that the new lemo is so good purely because of excitement but when it comes down to vape, I still reach for my subtank mini over the Lemo 2.

I am with you on this one @Silver and @Rafique
I have the Lemo 2 for two weeks now. I tried 2 different build, 28 Guage 2.5mm (1 Ohm) and 26 guage, 2.5mm (0.8 Ohm), both wicked with Rayon.

Whilst the Lemo vapes good, no dry hits, etc, I still reach for my SubTank because the flavour is just much better IMHO. The Lemo seems to be inconsistent at times with flavour.

Worked okay. But got some dry hits. Tried a new wick. Worked a bit better. Some dry hits still
Dont like the drip tip. Doesnt fit properly - too tight. The oRings got a bit damaged, lol.

Look, i love my Lemo1 and am sure I will also get to like the Lemo2 - but what I cannot stand about these tanks is that the wicking is inconsistent for me. Despite trying so many times on the Lemo1 i still sometimes get dry hits on longer puffs. And when it works, i have no idea why.

I generally use 28g. And 2mm ID compressed coils. Around 1.0 to 1.2 ohms. And I dont use much power. Say 12 to 18 Watts. I wick mostly with Rayon but also got the same results with organic cotton.

Maybe I need to try a bigger ID and 26g wire and a spaced coil and Japanese Cotton. Not sure though but these tanks dont give me much confidence in being able to get a consistent vape

YES and YES - i read the LEMO 2 like big ID coils, so i would say min 2.5, but preferable the same IS as the original coil. i think its 3mm.
when you wick it, just make sure its pushed back from the juice channel holes in the deck.

My first and only try so far was a micro coil, 2.5 mm ID with 26g wire (if I remember correctly) and Native Wicks, at 1.1 ohms . I wicked it the way @freedom demonstrated in his link above. Made sure the wetted wicking was pushed away from the juice channels. Have now finished a whole tank at 20W without any dry hits or leaking. Flavour is great.
Did try the subtank mini, but flavour was sub par for me.

@Andre I guess it boils down to taste buds and preferences :)

I think I may have mastered the coiling and wicking for my SubTank, and still have a lot to learn on the Lemo to get the flavour working for me.
What I can agree with you on is "NO DRY HITS" at all. I chain vaped the Lemo 2 at 25-28watts (0.8 Ohm)and not a dry hit. The SubTank maxes at 23-24 watts (0.6 Ohm) and I guess I have learned to settle with that.

As @PeterHarris and @Andre said, bigger IDs seem to work best with this device - in any case, I find bigger ID coils work best in most (if not all RTAs). I almost always build 2.5 or higher on my RTAs and leave 2.0 and lower for the RDAs :)

There is one other unique aspect of the Lemo 2 that may (or may not) contribute to the dry hit problem - the top filling. All RTAs are heavily reliant on the vacuum inside the tank to properly feed juice through the channels to the wick.
On most RTAs the fill hole is at the bottom for exactly this reason, the device is upside down when filling - once the fill hole is closed and the device is turned upright I think that the juice pushed the excess air out through the juice holes, creating a nice vacuum.

To achieve a similar result, I would recommend that after filling the and closing the fill hole, the device be turned upside down for a second or two (without opening the airflow). Then turn it right side up and wait until the juice settles before opening airflow. Also, if it's still not working, hold the device horizontal with one of the juice channels facing up and suck on it a few times (this draws the excess air out (a method I used with the kayfun on many occasions to prevent flooding). These are just some thoughts as I do not have any issues. Hopefully that, combined with larger ID coils will sort out some of the problems some have been having :D

Guys, Ive just noticed something rather strange. I started getting dry hits after a new build, and as soon as I did that , I realised that i was not seeing any bubbles coming up for after each drag. I loosened the tank just a little, and viola, she started wicking fine. Might be something to look at!!

Guys, Ive just noticed something rather strange. I started getting dry hits after a new build, and as soon as I did that , I realised that i was not seeing any bubbles coming up for after each drag. I loosened the tank just a little, and viola, she started wicking fine. Might be something to look at!!
very possible, although my tank is tight-like-a-tiger and still wicks leka. maybe you had some wicking in the juice hole/channel, and when you loosened it, it gave the gap needed for juice :)

Back