Level 6 Water Restrictions - Cape Town

Sooooo...has anyone gotten a “Water Management Device” yet?

768505c88b3ca52f4d79defe982ce9f1.jpg

In laws got one last week...and get this,they have to pay R4.5k for it,and they didnt even ask for it to be installed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In laws got one last week...and get this,they have to pay R4.5k for it,and they didnt even ask for it to be installed!

You better tell them to have the limit set and need to make sure its done.if something goes wrong they will have more bills to pay

Resistance is futile

DAY ZERO pushed back to 9 July
http://www.capetownetc.com/water-crisis/day-zero-pushed-to-9-july/

"Day Zero has once again been pushed back. Day Zero, the day we may have to start queueing for water, has now moved to 9 July due to a weekly drop in dam levels of only 0.5% , setting us now 139 days away. The pushing back of the date was largely due to a lower drop in water levels in the city’s supply dams, as well as a reduction in average daily collective consumption to 523 million litres."

DAY ZERO pushed back to 9 July
http://www.capetownetc.com/water-crisis/day-zero-pushed-to-9-july/

"Day Zero has once again been pushed back. Day Zero, the day we may have to start queueing for water, has now moved to 9 July due to a weekly drop in dam levels of only 0.5% , setting us now 139 days away. The pushing back of the date was largely due to a lower drop in water levels in the city’s supply dams, as well as a reduction in average daily collective consumption to 523 million litres."

And the gifted water from the farmers that finally made it into the system. But yes, the saving of all people have made this possible.

My sister stays in CT cbd and I was thinking of sending her like a survival parcel down to help with saving water.

I know sending water is senseless because it will cost a fortune and its one use and gone. So I'm thinking a bit out of the box.

Currently got things like wet wipes for those days of skipping a shower. Skin moisturiser since the alcohol in the wet wipes can dryout skin. And paper plates because you don't need to wash them. Surgical spirits to clean vape atties, most important of all.

Is there anything you guys in the middle of it all can think of that can help a bit?

My sister stays in CT cbd and I was thinking of sending her like a survival parcel down to help with saving water.

I know sending water is senseless because it will cost a fortune and its one use and gone. So I'm thinking a bit out of the box.

Currently got things like wet wipes for those days of skipping a shower. Skin moisturiser since the alcohol in the wet wipes can dryout skin. And paper plates because you don't need to wash them. Surgical spirits to clean vape atties, most important of all.

Is there anything you guys in the middle of it all can think of that can help a bit?
Try some hand sanitizer in there as well, it works well for hand hygiene and does not have to be washed or wiped off. Also not as harsh as the alcohol wipes when you want to prepare or after preparing food etc.

Wow @Adephi that's so thoughtful of you! You're an awesome brother!!!

- I second what @Room Fogger said. I use waterless hand cleaner in the bathroom and kitchen. You can buy it at Clicks or DisChem.

- Dry Shampoo to use in between hair washes. See pic. Also from Clicks or DisChem. N.B. doesn't work well with oily hair.

- Body Wipes - I got this from our local Spar. (You said you've got wet wipes, but they usually come in small packets. These body wipes are 80 in a pack - see pic

- Wee-Pong or Loo-Me and there's one other made by Albex. Available at either Checkers, PnP, Builders Warehouse, Agrimark.
These products remove the smell from the toilet, since "if it's mellow let it yellow".

- Vinegar and a spray bottle. Vinegar is anti-bacterial and it can be used to clean anything. I use it to clean the counter-tops in the kitchen.

Body Wipes.jpg Dry Shampoo.jpg Waterless Handcleaner.jpg

Thanks @Hooked. Been to a couple of stores and they are not really stocked for a drought over here. Really had to look for the stuff. And the assistants doesn't really assist.

And she never really washed her car when there was water. Doubt thats on top of her list now.

Will go look for some more stuff tomorrow and send it off.

She can repay me in VM XXX or Red Pill. Thats what is in mayor shortage here.

Thanks @Hooked. Been to a couple of stores and they are not really stocked for a drought over here. Really had to look for the stuff. And the assistants doesn't really assist.

And she never really washed her car when there was water. Doubt thats on top of her list now.

Now if ever there was a deal, this is the one, I wish I could be paid in juice as well some days.

I think I'm kinda sorted out now.

JoJo tank with a new pump
20180211_Entire tank.jpg

Use hosepipe to fill washing machine manually
20180227_Washing machine.jpg

Fill Water Distiller with water from JoJo. It heats water to 100C and filters it through a carbon filter. It takes 3 hours for the process, plus a half an hour cooling off. End result is pure, clean water. Thanks for telling me about this handy piece of equipment @Andre.

20180227_Distiller.jpg

From there I pour the clean water into a table-top water dispenser and voila! I have hot and cold water on tap throughout the day.

20180227_Dispenser.jpg

EDIT: Here's a pic of the gunk left behind after the water has been distilled. No ways boiling the water on the stove would get rid of this!

Gunk after distillation.jpg Gunk after distillation.jpg

Last edited:

@Adephi It's really sweet of you to be going to all that trouble for your sister! Hope she appreciates it!

@Jp1905 Why was it installed? Do they have a borehole?

EDIT: Here's a pic of the gunk left behind after the water has been distilled. No ways boiling the water on the stove would get rid of this!

View attachment 124067 View attachment 124067
Just wipe it off as far as possible with a paper towel, then clean with a wet cloth. A small amount of residue is harmless (it cannot get into your distillate), and you can continue to use the distiller safely. I clean mine about once a month with the cleaner I linked somewhere above. Otherwise half a cup of white vinegar with half a cup of boiling water. Add to the boiler, let stand and then clean - some scrubbing with a fine scrub might be required. You could also boil the vinegar solution in the distiller with the top off for about fifteen minutes and clean.

Just wipe it off as far as possible with a paper towel, then clean with a wet cloth. A small amount of residue is harmless (it cannot get into your distillate), and you can continue to use the distiller safely. I clean mine about once a month with the cleaner I linked somewhere above. Otherwise half a cup of white vinegar with half a cup of boiling water. Add to the boiler, let stand and then clean - some scrubbing with a fine scrub might be required. You could also boil the vinegar solution in the distiller with the top off for about fifteen minutes and clean.

@Andre Some good tips there! I've been cleaning mine with a little lemon juice and it's worked fine for the bottom, but I see the sides are slightly stained and it doesn't come off - and that's after just a few uses.

Nope,had the whole family from up North at their house over December,so usage was a bit on the high side.

OMW! So they exceeded the limit and the municipality forced them to have that thing installed? Ah well ... I guess they won't be having guests this December!

IMG_20180214_063642.jpg
This happened last week, water was running out for 3 hours before the council came to resolve this.

Attachments

• IMG_20180214_063642.jpg
    IMG_20180214_063642.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 15
OMW! So they exceeded the limit and the municipality forced them to have that thing installed? Ah well ... I guess they won't be having guests this December!

It's not that bad. That Device was installed here since 2nd December. The landlord and my family get 700 liters of daily water usage. We have seperate meter installed to monitor water usage of our part of the house. My family hardly used 220 liters a day. The only thing we do to save water is wash clothes once a week, flush only if it's brown, dishes are done only once a day by the maid.
In fact by the end of the month of Feb, we had 2500 liters of water balance on the device.

I think I'm kinda sorted out now.

JoJo tank with a new pump
View attachment 124052

Use hosepipe to fill washing machine manually
View attachment 124054

Fill Water Distiller with water from JoJo. It heats water to 100C and filters it through a carbon filter. It takes 3 hours for the process, plus a half an hour cooling off. End result is pure, clean water. Thanks for telling me about this handy piece of equipment @Andre.

View attachment 124055

From there I pour the clean water into a table-top water dispenser and voila! I have hot and cold water on tap throughout the day.

View attachment 124056

View attachment 124067 View attachment 124067

That looks expensive...

I haven't read this thread. But between what I have read on the water issue along with Parliament's decision to seize lands from white South Africans, I only can say I feel very worried for South Africans. I'm praying and hoping all those who may even be remotely in harm's way will get out to a safe place. So distraught! :heartbreak:

Back