Merlin Mini RTA By Augvape Review

daniel craig

Vaping Addict
LV

Awards
I finally got my hands on the Merlin Mini RTA by Augvape. I have been using this RTA for a week and a half now and decided to post my thoughts on it.

Lately we’ve been seeing a lot of small and compact RTA’s on the market and many people prefer them due to the great flavor they produce. The Augvape Merlin Mini is an excellent little RTA that performs brilliantly. If you had used the previous 4ml Merlin RTA, you would know that the Merlin RTA is known for its excellent flavor and its velocity styled single coil deck. The Merlin Mini RTA is no different with flavor, it produces excellent flavor and is simple enough for anyone to use.

As you can tell by the name, the Augvape Merlin Mini RTA is the smaller brother of the Augvape Merlin RTA and has inherited all of the great features of the original. The Merlin Mini is a 24mm, 2ml RTA and features 2 build decks, a single and a dual to suit your building preference and vaping style. I have only used the single coil option as I am a huge fan of single coil RTA’s. The tank has a simple and easy to use top fill system and has adjustable airflow control with 3 different airflow settings/styles to cater for all users. You can use it as a full Mouth to Lung setup with the airflow screw inserted or as a Direct Lung Hit with it removed.
Merlin and Merlin Mini:
IMG-20161212-WA0016.jpg

Here are some of the specs:

· 24mm*42.3 mm
· Capacity: 2 ML
· 304 Stainless Steel
· Comes with 2 18mm decks
· Single coil deck pre-installed
· 2*2 mm squared post holes
· Single 4.5 mm internal air-holes
· Comes with 2mm & 1.5mm airflow hole inserts
· 4*4 mm juice holes
· Dual coil deck
· 2*2.5 mm post holes
· Dual 3*5 mm squared air-holes
· Velocity style dual coil deck
· 3 mm diameter juice holes
· Peek insulator
· Gold plated brass contact
· 2*12 mm bottom air-holes

What you get in the box:
IMG-20161212-WA0011.jpg

Building and wicking this tank was very easy. I decided to remove the airflow inserts/screw as I prefer a restrictive lung hit. If you prefer a mouth to lung style setup, they include 2 different sized inserts which you can screw in to suit your style. The 18mm single coil deck allows you to chuck in some massive builds. I used a single twisted Clapton and it fitted in without a problem. Wicking was rather simple and doesn’t require much expertise at all. This RTA has no problem with high VG juices and that is because of its huge juice holes. The Merlin Mini does not have juice flow control like its predecessor and that's because of its compact size. So far I did not have any leaking at all with this RTA and its been vaping like a dream. The airflow on the tank is extremely smooth and with the screw removed, I would say it has slightly less airflow than the Serpent Mini 25 but it’s still good enough. With the smallest airflow screw inserted, it becomes a mouth to lung style vape and it performs really well as a mouth to lung setup. You get a nice tight draw. If you’ve been searching for the perfect Mouth To Lung RTA, this is the one to get. The top fill system works well and has massive openings for easy filling. The one thing I liked about this RTA was that I did not get any spit back after refilling like I do with the serpent mini 25. The drip tip they include is extremely comfortable and definitely the best drip tip that comes with a tank. If you wish, you can remove the drip tip and use your own as well. The build quality is excellent and the threads are nice and smooth.

IMG-20161212-WA0014.jpg

Augvape have done an excellent job with this tank. They took the original idea of the 4ml Merlin and have improved on a few things. I love that they made this tank for all users with the idea of the different airflow inserts and included 2 build decks with it.The draw on the tank is nice and smooth and the flavor it produces is excellent. I’m a huge fan of the 4ml Merlin but this Merlin mini is a step up from that RTA. It may be due to its size and design that it produces excellent flavor as expected. I don’t mind the 2ml capacity because of how easy it is to refill it but I do hope that Augvape plan on making an extension for it like you get for the SMOK Micro TFV4.

IMG-20161212-WA0012.jpg

Overall, it’s an excellent RTA at a great price with a lot of options and caters for all users. If you’re flavor chaser this RTA is exactly what you should be looking at. I love how versatile this RTA is, you could use it as a MTL setup or a DL setup just by inserting or removing a screw and it performs excellent in either setup. I think it's excellent especially for the price.

At the moment, the only vendor that has this RTA in stock is Vape Cartel (@KieranD @capetocuba) for R460.

If you guys have any questions regarding this tank, feel free to ask and I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited:
I finally got my hands on the Merlin Mini RTA by Augvape. I have been using this RTA for a week and a half now and decided to post my thoughts on it.

Lately we’ve been seeing a lot of small and compact RTA’s on the market and many people prefer them due to the great flavor they produce. The Augvape Merlin Mini is an excellent little RTA that performs brilliantly. If you had used the previous 4ml Merlin RTA, you would know that the Merlin RTA is known for its excellent flavor and its velocity styled single coil deck. The Merlin Mini RTA is no different with flavor, it produces excellent flavor and is simple enough for anyone to use.

As you can tell by the name, the Augvape Merlin Mini RTA is the smaller brother of the Augvape Merlin RTA and has inherited all of the great features of the original. The Merlin Mini is a 24mm, 2ml RTA and features 2 build decks, a single and a dual to suit your building preference and vaping style. I have only used the single coil option as I am a huge fan of single coil RTA’s. The tank has a simple and easy to use top fill system and has adjustable airflow control with 3 different airflow settings/styles to cater for all users. You can use it as a full Mouth to Lung setup with the airflow screw inserted or as a Direct Lung Hit with it removed.
Merlin and Merlin Mini:
View attachment 78461

Here are some of the specs:

· 24mm*42.3 mm
· Capacity: 2 ML
· 304 Stainless Steel
· Comes with 2 18mm decks
· Single coil deck pre-installed
· 2*2 mm squared post holes
· Single 4.5 mm internal air-holes
· Comes with 2mm & 1.5mm airflow hole inserts
· 4*4 mm juice holes
· Dual coil deck
· 2*2.5 mm post holes
· Dual 3*5 mm squared air-holes
· Velocity style dual coil deck
· 3 mm diameter juice holes
· Peek insulator
· Gold plated brass contact
· 2*12 mm bottom air-holes

What you get in the box:
View attachment 78462

Building and wicking this tank was very easy. I decided to remove the airflow inserts/screw as I prefer a restrictive lung hit. If you prefer a mouth to lung style setup, they include 2 different sized inserts which you can screw in to suit your style. The 18mm single coil deck allows you to chuck in some massive builds. I used a single twisted Clapton and it fitted in without a problem. Wicking was rather simple and doesn’t require much expertise at all. This RTA has no problem with high VG juices and that is because of its huge juice holes. The Merlin Mini does not have juice flow control like its predecessor and that’s due to its size. So far I did not have any leaking at all with this RTA and its been vaping like a dream. The airflow on the tank is extremely smooth and with the screw removed, I would say it has slightly less airflow than the Serpent Mini 25 but it’s still good enough. With the smallest airflow screw inserted, it becomes a mouth to lung style vape and it performs really well as a mouth to lung setup. You get a nice tight draw. If you’ve been searching for the perfect Mouth To Lung RTA, this is the one to get. The top fill system works well and has massive openings for easy filling. The one thing I liked about this RTA was that I did not get any spit back after refilling like I do with the serpent mini 25. The drip tip they include is extremely comfortable and definitely the best drip tip that comes with a tank. If you wish, you can remove the drip tip and use your own as well. The build quality is excellent and the threads are nice and smooth.

View attachment 78463

Augvape have done an excellent job with this tank. They took the original idea of the 4ml Merlin and have improved on a few things. I love that they made this tank for all users with the idea of the different airflow inserts and included 2 build decks with it.The draw on the tank is nice and smooth and the flavor it produces is excellent. I’m a huge fan of the 4ml Merlin but this Merlin mini is a step up from that RTA. It may be due to its size and design that it produces excellent flavor as expected. I don’t mind the 2ml capacity because of how easy it is to refill it but I do hope that Augvape plan on making an extension for it like you get for the SMOK Micro TFV4.

View attachment 78464

Overall, it’s an excellent RTA at a great price with a lot of options and caters for all users. If you’re flavor chaser this RTA is exactly what you should be looking at. I love how versatile this RTA is, you could use it as a MTL setup or a DL setup just by inserting or removing a screw and it performs excellent in either setup. I think it's excellent especially for the price.

At the moment, the only vendor that has this RTA in stock is Vape Cartel (@KieranD @capetocuba) for R460.

Excellent review @daniel craig! It is a brilliant flavour tank as as good as any of the locally available tanks... it ranks up there with only the SM25... they are both top of the heap with flavour!

Excellent review @daniel craig! It is a brilliant flavour tank as as good as any of the locally available tanks... it ranks up there with only the SM25... they are both top of the heap with flavour!
It definitely is right up there with the Serpent Mini 25. That said, I still do use my Serpent Mini 25 and the Merlin Mini daily. They are both excellent tanks and are extremely close. I do find myself using the Merlin Mini a bit more nowadays but due to capacity, the SM25 is always kept close by for when I go out and about.

Great writeup and excellent review
Photos are superb
Top notch
Winner

Love the comments about MTL!

Thanks for the efforts @daniel craig

It definitely is right up there with the Serpent Mini 25. That said, I still do use my Serpent Mini 25 and the Merlin Mini daily. They are both excellent tanks and are extremely close. I do find myself using the Merlin Mini a bit more nowadays but due to capacity, the SM25 is always kept close by for when I go out and about.

100% on the button! I could not have said it better!

Great writeup and excellent review
Photos are superb
Top notch
Winner

Love the comments about MTL!

Thanks for the efforts @daniel craig
I am going to try out the full MTL package but this time using 28g Kanthal and 50/50 juice. I do think it'll perform much better this way compared to the MTL setup I'm currently running.

I am going to try out the full MTL package but this time using 28g Kanthal and 50/50 juice. I do think it'll perform much better this way compared to the MTL setup I'm currently running.

Thanks, please let us know your findings
Given the 2ml capacity i am hoping it will shine as a lower powered MTLunger with stronger 50/50 juice

Here is how I wick the Merlin mini RTA. Using this method, I've had 0 leaking issues.
@Faheem777

630e2fcbf1df44543d22e905eb6394db.jpg

The blue line shows you where to cut the wicks. How did I come to that? I hold the cotton down and see exactly where it would be enough to fill up the wicking holes. This is how I get the length perfectly everytime.

e0a38a9326f5ee9186fc2b0f610c7d98.jpg

Just get the cotton to 'buff up' by pushing the ends so that they look puffed up as in this pic.

5a4fbfcb0408ed734baa8a40e9ad263b.jpg

Tuck the cotton in making certain that cups by the juice holes at the Base are covered by cotton.

ef7f0886123f0a97a10a17d471ad0f95.jpg

Do a final check and make sure everything is looking right and that those cups are covered with cotton. Failing to cover the cup at the Base will result in leaks.

(This is the cups I'm talking about)
3b8333d73ddff859ba7f83b21f7d4a96.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome rundown! I'm looking forward to getting hold of one of these!

@Andre You will love this RTA. I use mine everyday and it vapes great. The only con is that you will have to refill it often and that's where the SM25 takes over when I go out.

@Faheem777 Did you manage to stop the leaking?

Hey @daniel craig

Unfortunately not:-( I followed your tutorial exactly, covered the cups properly, did not over saturate the wick etc. I'm going to try a different coil build with a bigger ID and see if that makes any difference.

Attachments

• IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    329.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    326 KB · Views: 54
@Faheem777

From your pics, I see you don't have all the wick placed into the juice channels. Also, IMO you have too much wick extending over the juice channel.

Try reducing the amount of wick, and ensure all the wick is placed into the channel. Will upload a pic from TP shortly

Anything noticeably wrong in the pics?
Other than those wicks looking too wet, no. Next time rewicking, just use 3-4 drops of juice on the coil only and 1 drop on each tail. If those sounds a bit strange, do this: put 3 drops on the coil, press fire button until you see some vapor and stop.... repeat 2 times and then you'll see the tails already (a little) saturated. Then just screw everything on and vape.

Back