New builder

The_Rio

New Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi, I have had many rebuildable atomizers but never built my own coils, always bought prebuilts or friends built for me,
I think its time to get into building, what is the best wire to start with when learning to build, and what tools and that would I need?

Hi, I have had many rebuildable atomizers but never built my own coils, always bought prebuilts or friends built for me,
I think its time to get into building, what is the best wire to start with when learning to build, and what tools and that would I need?

Hi @The_Rio

Building a basic but effective coil is quite easy. It's a lot easier than most people think.

I would say 26g is a good place to start. Perhaps either Kanthal or NI80.

Then get a set of screwdrivers of different diameters (or drill bits) so you can use them as a mandrel to wind the coil around.

That little blue screwdriver included in various atty kits is usually about 2.4mm in diameter, so you can use that.

I would say start with 2.4mm or 2.5mm and the 26g wire - and make a coil that is about 6 or 7 wraps around the mandrel.

You will also need some wire cutters (or even nail clippers work on thinnish wire) to trim the legs after inserting into the posts.

Voila

Let us know how it goes

Use Vape Tool on android. The best app that will help you along and shows pictures about what type of coil you want to build.

Hey @The_Rio !

I highly recommend this kit ...

http://www.sirvape.co.za/collections/accessories/products/simple-tool-kit-by-geekvape

Well priced, and has everything you need tool-wise. Then get yourself some 26g Kanthal as @Silver recommended...

http://www.sirvape.co.za/collections/accessories/products/kanthal-a1?variant=1012751819

Then you will just need some cotton!

I found this site incredibly helpful for when I started building...

http://www.steam-engine.org/

Go to the "Coil Building" tab, and you can enter in the info to see what sort of wrapping will give you what sort of coil. It can be a bit confusing to navigate when you start, but feel free to ask or clarify things with us!

Like @Stosta says, http://www.steam-engine.org/ is amazing for building coils.

Here is my current setup in my OBS Engine: http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?mat=n80&s=dp&r=0.35&awg=26&id=3&ll=4

I would suggest get some Kanthal or NiChrome80 wire. If you are planning on using temp control, get yourself some Stainless Steel 316L wire.

I personally couldn't be bothered with any coil building tools anymore, my trusty screw drivers work perfectly fine for me now. That being said, I am pretty sure I could have saved my fingers much strain had I gotten a building kit from the start.

picked this up from vapeaway last week.

The coils I have are still performing perfectly, but still trying to find problems so I can get my first build done :)

When I first started building coils I went straight to a full kit setup. I got the LTQ build kit from Kurt at Vape Away for R480.00 and have been using all the tools non-stop. Also picked up a pack of Bacon cotton and a spool of 26g Kanthal A1. I try and mix it up now between using the coil jigger tool and manually wrapping coils for practice. Got so into that I have now started building my own wires using swivels and a drill.

Start slow with the basics, a kit if you can afford it and practice practice practice :)

I'd recommend a coil jig, especially for starting out. Makes life much easier.

Otherwise screwdrivers work fine too, requires a bit more practice. Although I find screwdrivers easier and better for wrapping larger wire such as Juggernaut wire.

In terms of which wire to start with, 26 or 24 gauge is a good place to start. I personally prefer Nichrome over Kanthal as well.
As for cotton, well, Cotton Bacon V2 is great. I love working with the stuff!

Also learning how to build and wick in a dripper is certainly easier than learning how in a tank as tanks can leak and are not as easy to check on your coils regularly. If your friends know how to build, chances are they can help you out.

Try get yourself a pair of Ceramic tweezers to play with the coils to get rid of any hot spots before wicking with your cotton. I like to fluff out the end of my cotton as well. Watch videos on YouTube on how to wick and check coils for hot spots.
If you still have any specific questions feel free to ask!

I remember when i started building coils, best advice is keep it simple with a single coil build until you feel comfortable to go to a bit more advance coil builds. Youtube will be your friend here as there is a lot of tutorials on coil builds

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Back