Plume Veil clone by Yeahsmo

toke

New Vaper
LV

Awards
note: im not saying this is a bad clone. im just informing people on what needs to be done in order to getting it working properly. at 1/5th the price of a real one, im more than happy to make some modifications

after reading many reviews, ive decided on the plume veil for my next RDA. with so many features it seemed like the best and most diverse dripper locally available. i got mine from vapeking.co.za for only R310 which seemed really reasonable as you get the RDA, matching driptip, and some accessories.

at first glance the plume veil looked amazing, gold plated deck is beautiful and build quality looked pretty good.
it came pre-build with a dual coil setup wrapped on a thin and extremely short pieces of silica wick that was useless. it didnt even touch the deck so no ways it could wick unless you would decide to put one drop of juice on each of the coils. not only that, but the wraps and kanthal gauge were different. one coil measured around 3ohm and the other 2ohm.

after ripping them out and building a neat single coil system at 0.9ohm i could finally testdrive my new toy. flavour was muted and clouds were pretty bad compared to the same microcoil build i do on most my RDA's. there wasnt any time left so i thought ill just play with the fancy airflow system on the go

now the plume veil has a pretty neat design where additional airflow can be set to come thru the negative posts. let me tell you, IMO its a gimmick. yeah sure it works kinda. but at the cost of CONSTANTLY leaking :/ i stuffed some cotton in the negative posts to keep juice from flowing out and i adjusted my cap so the holes do not align with the holes in the deck to try prevent juice leaking, but the way the plume veil is designed, is that the air holes in the deck are above the dual O rings. this means that any drop of juice coming out from the holes in the negative posts, or leaking over the top of the deck will run down the side of the deck in between the space between the deck and the cap. and this juice will leak out of the 6 holes. this atty is constantly wet and sticky. :( i eventually used some silicone to seal the 6 air holes and this solved my problem.

another great feature of the plume veil is the delrin insolater cap. it can be adjusted to make the atty smaller (to enhance flavor) but on the yeahsmo clone, the screws used to connect your coils are way to long, it means that by screwing down your delrin insolator it just pushes against the head of the screws. so this feature doesnt work. i read on reviews and on vapekings.co.za they claim there are spare short screws in the package. but mine only came with some O rings and a screwdriver (and another 2 useless coils)

another problem with the long screws is on the negative posts the snap off your coil legs :( and if you dont tighten them properly they just come loose.. so need to order some shorter screws ASAP.

all that being said, this is one beautiful atty, and even with all the problems i really love the look. ive got a single microcoil in her atm positioned so that the airflow flows thru the centre of the coil. and im getting a way better vape experience now. also with the 6 bottom holes sealed off and cotton inside my negative posts the leaking has stopped. so im sure after i find some shorter screws all my problems will be fixed.

i would recommend this atty to anyone whos looking to expand their collection, and that has loads of experience in building. i would not recommend sealing off the bottom holes like i did, (i just do it so i can use it as my carry around vape without having a juice pocket every time plus its not permanent) as this is one of the main features of the atty.

if anyone has had better experience with the plume veil, please comment. :) for now im pretty happy i got her running half decent.

Last edited:
@toke i am really sorry for the bad experience that you are having with the plumeveil, My plumeveils, I have 3 and also have the v1.5, are really my favourite rda's. Flavour is outstanding on the plumeveil and trust me this thing can chuck clouds. How are you building it, and wicking? Could you post a couple of pics so someone could advise you better.
The airflow from the neg posts is not at all a gimmick, but this rda is not meant to be wicked as you would a normal rda, you will need to leave a "channel" for the air to flow from the bottom of the neg posts and through the coils.

Oh and if you are getting juice dripping out of the bottom airholes then maybe there is not enough wick or overdripping. I agree this is not an rda that would sit well in your pocket cause you will def. have leaks, but not as much as you are describing

post some pics and lets see if I can assist in any way

thanks for the reply, like i said, ATM i found a build that works pretty decent. flavour is good and cloads are nice. im a flavour junkie so i dont mind nort having all those clouds. so i was really looking forward to being able to adjust flavour with the delrin insolator. hopefully ill be able to sort out those long ass screws soon. and as i need to carry my vape around with me im not planning on opening up the sealed airholes anytime soon haha! :p i understand the working of the atty perfectly, and i think the only design flaws was that the bottom airholes should have been in between the two Orings instead of at the top. this would have prevented 90% of the leaking. i dont have any pics of my build atm. but maybe i should try moving away from my favourite micro coil (with cotton cloud) and try something else? what is your prefered build on the plume?

okay i quickly tried a different build, used 26 kanthal so i can try do a few extra wraps without raising the resistance 2 much in order to maximize surface area (equates to more flavour). 9 wraps on 2mm screwdriver with cotton wick. performs pretty damn similar than my previous builds. as you can see on the pics. those screws are TALL!

Attachments

• 20141014_134943.jpg
    20141014_134943.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 20141014_135011.jpg
    20141014_135011.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20141014_135030.jpg
    20141014_135030.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 20141014_135311.jpg
    20141014_135311.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20141014_135609(0).jpg
    20141014_135609(0).jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 92
good coil there @toke pretty neat build, though I would try using more cotton, I usually leave much longer tails and then tuck them so the atty is filled from end to end, if you can understand what I am trying to say, I will try and look for a pic to post later this afternoon

so instead of bringing the tails down and under the coil, i should bring them down and out? because i take it if i would bring them down and thru the gap between the centre post and negatives they will restrict the (currently blocked off with cotton) airflow thru the negative posts. i just think the main lack of flavour is because i cant shrink the size of the chamber and im used to way smaller chambers

so instead of bringing the tails down and under the coil, i should bring them down and out? because i take it if i would bring them down and thru the gap between the centre post and negatives they will restrict the (currently blocked off with cotton) airflow thru the negative posts. i just think the main lack of flavour is because i cant shrink the size of the chamber and im used to way smaller chambers
Ok now I understand were that wicking came from, you are used to small chambers, well let me put it this way, wick that sucker up, I could not take any pics of my builds as I only have the BF plumie with me today but my bottom fed plumeveil has at least 1 and a half times the wick that you are currently using. With the extra wick it will also cut down on the leaking.
Here are 2 pics I pulled of the internet

Attachments

• 10584612_746643578710045_671810668_a.jpg
    10584612_746643578710045_671810668_a.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 77
  • pvbuild10.jpg
    pvbuild10.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 78
wow! thats a whole lot of cotton o_O okay gonna give it a go! thank you for the help!! :D
just remember you need to leave a channel for the air from the neg post so just use something thin to just pick at the cotton at the back to make sure that you are not blocking the air holes on the neg post and keeping between the posts clear of cotton

That clone is nowhere near a 1:1, so your experience is probably only applicable to that yeahsmo clone...

There's so many bad clones of devices being sold here in SA... it's a shame that people give devices a bad rep when the device they are using is nothing close to the original.

I try make sure as best I can that a clone is a 1:1 before I purchase it, otherwise it's just a waste of money IMO.

For example, a Veritas clone:

1767203-1.jpg

1767203-5.jpg

Veritas original:

Veritas1.jpg

Veritas2.jpg

Veritas3.jpg

Last edited:
That clone is nowhere near a 1:1, so your experience is probably only applicable to that yeahsmo clone...

There's so many bad clones of devices being sold here in SA... it's a shame that people give devices a bad rep when the device they are using is nothing close to the original.

I try make sure as best I can that a clone is a 1:1 before I purchase it, otherwise it's just a waste of money IMO.

For example, a Veritas clone:

1767203-1.jpg

1767203-5.jpg

Veritas original:

Veritas1.jpg

Veritas2.jpg

Veritas3.jpg
that clone doesnt seem far off? also my plum veil is really damn decent (well i cant really compare it side by side to the real thing without owning the real thing, but just holding it in my hand you can tell the build quality is really good. also im not giving the plume veil a bad rating. im giving my experience on the plume veil clone by yeahsmo :p

I think we are being a little hard on the south african vendors here, myself being one, I can say this on behalf of all the vendors that I know on and off the forum we all endeavour to sell the best product at the most reasonable price and the clone in question is a pretty damn good clone except for the screws, like really are we considering the clone to be kak just because of the screws?
Also take note that this is the experience that a user has had and is learning the correct build and the correct wicking of the device so there was no real waste of money, and I am sure that @toke will agree wit me in a couple of days after a couple of builds until he finds the right one for him that this very clone will outperform most of the other devices that he has. No offence intended to the devices that you are currently using toke

Edit - and this is the plumeveil, due to the airflow on this device coiling and wicking is something that one needs to get used to and once one does and this device starts performing it is really outstanding

no offence taken. i completely agree with you. 4 screws that can fairly easily be replaced (i already spoke to the vendor, he agreed that it was advertised with a set of smaller screws included http://vapeking.co.za/plum-veil-clone.html and is finding out from head office for me) and my other issues are with leaking and flavor which is gonna be the same as on the real device) like i said this is one of the best looking devices i own and really want to start using as my every day device

that clone doesnt seem far off? also my plum veil is really damn decent (well i cant really compare it side by side to the real thing without owning the real thing, but just holding it in my hand you can tell the build quality is really good. also im not giving the plume veil a bad rating. im giving my experience on the plume veil clone by yeahsmo :p

Lol that Veritas clone is atrocious! Just look at the deck! The whole thing is completely disproportionate compared to the original.

These guys fine-tune those devices to perfection, even the slightest variation can stuff the whole thing up. I will bet my balls that that clone does not even touch the original in terms of... pretty much everything. It's like a completely different device.

Yeah I didn't mean to say you "dissed" the plume, what I meant is that in general (not you specifically :)) a lot of people forget that there is a big difference between a random unknown clone and the real deal, and when they don't like a clone, they say they don't like the device, instead of keeping their displeasure focused solely on the clone :p

Lol that Veritas clone is atrocious! Just look at the deck! The whole thing is completely disproportionate compared to the original.

These guys fine-tune those devices to perfection, even the slightest variation can stuff the whole thing up. I will bet my balls that that clone does not even touch the original in terms of... pretty much everything. It's like a completely different device.

Yeah I didn't mean to say you "dissed" the plume, what I meant is that in general (not you specifically :)) a lot of people forget that there is a big difference between a random unknown clone and the real deal, and when they don't like a clone, they say they don't like the device, instead of keeping their displeasure focused solely on the clone :p

You have put up pics from fastech and are comparing it to the clones that south african vendors are selling?

yes even a 1:1 clone is not as finetuned as the original, but with the plumeveil in question it is less than 1/5th the price of the original.
I know of a vendor that is selling the veritas clone in south africa and I have personally had a look at this clone and IMO there is absolutely nothing wrong with the one that is on the market.
I think that if a vendor has sold you a bad clone you should put up a review on it and inform the rest of the vaping community of this.

You have put up pics from fastech and are comparing it to the clones that south african vendors are selling?

yes even a 1:1 clone is not as finetuned as the original, but with the plumeveil in question it is less than 1/5th the price of the original.
I know of a vendor that is selling the veritas clone in south africa and I have personally had a look at this clone and IMO there is absolutely nothing wrong with the one that is on the market.
I think that if a vendor has sold you a bad clone you should put up a review on it and inform the rest of the vaping community of this.

I just used that pic as an example. I'm not saying all clones that vendors in SA are selling are bad, though some of them probably are. It doesn't really matter, cause even a badly cloned device can perform really well, it just wont be the same as the original. Some clones are even better than the original devices. I try to do my homework to make sure I get a clone that is virtually identical to the original (SA vendors sell those too).

I don't own the Yeahsmo Plume or the original plume so I can't say how good of a clone it is, and I can't find any comparisons on the net. It might be a 1:1 or it might be way off, who knows?

All I was trying to say is that an original Plume Veil is not the same device as a clone, unless the clone is a 1:1 copy.

Taking an experience with a clone that might be completely different to the original and applying your opinion of it to the original (and all the other clones) is not fair judgement.

okay this is going nowhere. fine i get what you are saying but it wasnt the point. the point was in me trying to review the yeahsmo clone as this was what was available for me to buy and i really wanted a plume veil. i would not have bought it if i thought build quality was up to sh*t and believe me this is NOT the case. its a beautiful device and the detail is amazing. theres a few machining marks on the inside of the cap (out of sight out of mind) but the centre post is sturdy as hell the machining is perfect. i even went so far as to try making a tiny scratch on the deck to see how the gold plating/paint/ whatever will hold up and believe me it does.

@Al3x * i tried more cotton and leaking is less!
* i opened the botton airholes again and clouds are more (flavor still not on par) will close them again to prevent all theleaking as extra clouds wont outweigh the hassle of juice over my mod
* thank you for your help. you are a true gent!
*will report back after finding shorter screws

@toke play with the ID of the coil, my sweet spot on is around 2.4/2.5mm

I'm having the same problem with my plume veil....please help it ain't working...

@toke. Is yours giving you decent clouds now? We went through all the Plume Veil and all have no extra screws. Mine is now running a dual coil 0.6 ohm build and it is working awesomely. On the Bec Pro at 18 watts this thing is great

Yes i followed advice and played with my coil setup. 2.2mm single coil right in the centre of the atty with a bunch of cotton as previously adviced did the trick (measures in at 1ohm exactly) flavour and clouds are great. Still would have loved to be able to use the delrin adjuster bit noticed ots sitting so loose in the topcap it would anyway just wobble if i try adjusting it. Oh well. Im happy with the way i have it set up now ;)

Thats great too hear. Mine is a bit loose as well but I am fine with that. Sounds like I need to start planning on the first Pretoria vape meet so we can experiment

Thats great too hear. Mine is a bit loose as well but I am fine with that. Sounds like I need to start planning on the first Pretoria vape meet so we can experiment

I like that suggestion, its high time Pretoria has its own Vape Meets.

I am thinking a boerie and vaping day here at Vape King Pretoria in December. Our community is not that big yet so we can have a "lekker kuier", braai and a swim

Back