Rob's Ramblings

Mmmm... I do lung hits with it... I tend to open the airflow and give it horns... with most sub ohm tanks I do only lung hits whcih is strange because on my Squonkers I only do MTL?

You are, indeed, a paradox coated in enigma, wrapped by a riddle.

I want a high wattage dual 18650 squonker that i can lung hit and make big clouds with :p Stab wood would be a winner too. eish and resin... I'm going to be so poor :(

I want a high wattage dual 18650 squonker that i can lung hit and make big clouds with :p Stab wood would be a winner too. eish and resin... I'm going to be so poor :(

Chap named Catfish on ECF is making a DNA200 squonk mod (3 lipos). No stab planned, but plenty of carbon fibre.

@Rob Fisher I was looking around to see if Joyetech were planning to produce ceramic coils and I came across this:
"There are several types of ceramic coils on the market, some using cotton, some not, so it’s important to remember that Atom Vapes gCeramic coils do not use any wicking material other than the medical grade ceramic wrap, when deciding on which brand you’ll try first."

In your video you mentioned that you thought the Japanese cotton could be a problem (wrapped too tight). Are you sure it is cotton or perhaps could it be a ceramic wrap.
Dave

@Rob Fisher I was looking around to see if Joyetech were planning to produce ceramic coils and I came across this:
"There are several types of ceramic coils on the market, some using cotton, some not, so it’s important to remember that Atom Vapes gCeramic coils do not use any wicking material other than the medical grade ceramic wrap, when deciding on which brand you’ll try first."

In your video you mentioned that you thought the Japanese cotton could be a problem (wrapped too tight). Are you sure it is cotton or perhaps could it be a ceramic wrap.

It sure looked and felt like cotton to me... but I guess it could be ceramic wrap... @Genosmate you ripped a few apart yesterday what do you think?

It sure looked and felt like cotton to me... but I guess it could be ceramic wrap... @Genosmate you ripped a few apart yesterday what do you think?
When I took it apart Rob I really wasn't sure what the wrapping material was.
There are 5 leaves of it and its packed in tight.
This morning I took a leaf held in ceramic tweezers and then tried to set light to it with a Bic.
It burned as easily as a piece of paper,still not sure what it is TBH but would ceramic burn?

This morning I took a leaf held in ceramic tweezers and then tried to set light to it with a Bic.
It burned as easily as a piece of paper,still not sure what it is TBH but would ceramic burn?

I didn't think ceramic burned - mainly because of "ceramic fire blankets".
Cotton does burn like paper because they are both cellulose.

Now @Genosmate you are sure it was the 0.9 ohm gCeramic for the Kangertech you took apart. Just asking because the one in your pic in pieces is a round one and doesn't look like the gCeramic one for the Kangertech.
Dave

I didn't think ceramic burned - mainly because of "ceramic fire blankets".
Cotton does burn like paper because they are both cellulose.

Now @Genosmate you are sure it was the 0.9 ohm gCeramic for the Kangertech you took apart. Just asking because the one in your pic in pieces is a round one and doesn't look like the gCeramic one for the Kangertech.
Dave
That are most definitely Atom GCeramics for Kanger Tanks and those 'leaves' of whatever they are go up faster than a block of firelighters:)

That are most definitely Atom GCeramics for Kanger Tanks and those 'leaves' of whatever they are go up faster than a block of firelighters:)
Thanks @Genosmate Now I find this really disturbing especially if it is cotton. I bought these because Atom Vapes say these coils don't use cotton.
Maybe it is not cotton and it is a 'burnable' ceramic which I find stranger.
Nothing beats being totally confused :confused:
:)
Dave

Thanks @Genosmate Now I find this really disturbing especially if it is cotton. I bought these because Atom Vapes say these coils don't use cotton.
Maybe it is not cotton and it is a 'burnable' ceramic which I find stranger.
Nothing beats being totally confused :confused:
:)
Dave
You and me both!
I thought the ceramic in these things was the wicking material and was surprised when I took them apart.
TBH until Rob asked me this morning what I thought the material was I still assumed it was some sort of ceramic.
Not being able to test it the only thing I could think of was holding it it ceramic tipped tweezers and trying to light it with a Bic,and up it went.
I'm no expert on anything but I also thought ceramic should not burn.
Maybe as these become more widely used we can get some ideas from users elsewhere.

The Ceramic Circus! Have you joined the circus yet?

Only watched this now @Rob Fisher
Great video telling it like it is
Am hopeful that the ceramic coils improve over time
I can agree with you that the Target with a "good ceramic coil" is a lovely vape indeed
And if the coils worked all the time it would be a winner

You and me both!
I thought the ceramic in these things was the wicking material and was surprised when I took them apart.
TBH until Rob asked me this morning what I thought the material was I still assumed it was some sort of ceramic.
Not being able to test it the only thing I could think of was holding it it ceramic tipped tweezers and trying to light it with a Bic,and up it went.
I'm no expert on anything but I also thought ceramic should not burn.
Maybe as these become more widely used we can get some ideas from users elsewhere.
That is cotton around the ceramic. Its there to prevent the ceramic from getting over saturated and also to prevent the ceramic from touching the coil housing. But its not used as wicking matrial

That is cotton around the ceramic. Its there to prevent the ceramic from getting over saturated and also to prevent the ceramic from touching the coil housing. But its not used as wicking matrial
Also i think the problem lies with the cotten and not the ceramic. When the cotten is pack too tightly then the ceramic dont get saturated enough hence the dry hits. Well my opinion.
I was actually going to go for the target tank and coils but 1st waiting for the the manufacturing processes of the coils to be more constant.
Currently looking at the dolphin tank or krixus but dont like those dolphins on the tank

OK, been running the GCeramic for a day now. Left the device for 12 hours. Have had no dry hits. Strong throat hits at wattages over 30 watts, very mellow vape at 25 watts and below. I have been vaping Lemon creams juice, and flavour is just not the same as the dripbox and my other kanthal coil tanks. The zest of the lemon has totally disappeared, the rest of the flavours are very muted.

At the moment I am not impressed, but will carry on for the rest of the day, and see if the coil's performance changes

OK, been running the GCeramic for a day now. Left the device for 12 hours. Have had no dry hits. Strong throat hits at wattages over 30 watts, very mellow vape at 25 watts and below. I have been vaping Lemon creams juice, and flavour is just not the same as the dripbox and my other kanthal coil tanks. The zest of the lemon has totally disappeared, the rest of the flavours are very muted.

At the moment I am not impressed, but will carry on for the rest of the day, and see if the coil's performance changes

No point in trying for the rest of the day... the gCeramics are useless! :(

Don't know if should put this here,feel free to delete or move it @Rob Fisher.But has anyone seen any positive stuff about the gCeramics on the internet?

Don't know if should put this here,feel free to delete or move it @Rob Fisher.But has anyone seen any positive stuff about the gCeramics on the internet?

It's fine here @Genosmate... RR was where it was first mentioned so no problem... I can't recall any feedback I have seen... mind I haven't seen much feedback other than here on ecigssa. I'll pop onto ECF and do a search.

No point in trying for the rest of the day... the gCeramics are useless! :(
It is getting better, running it side by side with the dripbox, with same juice, and it almost seem like the ceramic needs to be run in.

It is getting better, running it side by side with the dripbox, with same juice, and it almost seem like the ceramic needs to be run in.

That maybe so but sheeezzz how doff is it that you have to vape a few tanks first before getting any flavour... I'm going to do one last HIGH VACUUM test before writing these off forever! There are so many other ceramic coils appearing that I think Atom may have done themselves irreparable damage with this batch of subtank coils.

That maybe so but sheeezzz how doff is it that you have to vape a few tanks first before getting any flavour... I'm going to do one last HIGH VACUUM test before writing these off forever! There are so many other ceramic coils appearing that I think Atom may have done themselves irreparable damage with this batch of subtank coils.
Rob, the reason I think these tanks will do well, is Noobies. You have experienced so many different types of vapes over your journey, that these ceramics are just not going match up, but think about a noob giving up twisp and using a subtank or target, with a coil that will probably last 10 times longer than a twisp, and compared to twisp probably give a good flavour vape.

I think it could do well in this part of the market

Rob, the reason I think these tanks will do well, is Noobies. You have experienced so many different types of vapes over your journey, that these ceramics are just not going match up, but think about a noob giving up twisp and using a subtank or target, with a coil that will probably last 10 times longer than a twisp, and compared to twisp probably give a good flavour vape.

Yip good point... I suppose I'm comparing the best of the best to the really mediocre... but at the end of the day a 2 year old Russian 91% at 15 watts produces a vastly superior vape to a stupid Atom Ceramic Coil. :confused:

You make very good points but;
No one is anywhere near finding out if the coils last for any considerable length of time.
It woul be a shame if a twisp user upgraded to these because then they still wouldn't find out how good our local juices can taste.
Just my views of course.

Back