SA court rules cannabis can be used in home

The international trend seems to be that it's silly to further burden an already overloaded criminal justice system with marijuana convictions. I wouldn't smoke weed regardless of the laws because it's combustion and I think the benefits are hyped while the harm is downplayed. But dragging thousands more people into the justice system for relatively meaningless pot convictions exacerbates rather than solves the problem.

Open all the weed bakeries!!!

Cannabis_Cupcake.jpg

Lol, the comments on combustion are amusing. Reminds me of vaping comments in the early days. Modern cannabis users have been moving away from combustion for ages now and there's quite a few non-combustion based methods available these days like ejuice, dry herb and concentrate vaporizing devices. But inhalation is isn't the only way cannabis is consumed. In the states alone, in just the few years in the states where it has been legalised, edibles account for almost 45% of sales.

From a medicinal usage point of view, THC is not the only ingredient of use. All the other cannabanoids found in cannabis are more important, resulting in strains with lower or no THC and more of the rest. SA is predominantly saturated with THC -heavy sativa strains. With legalisation, better strains for medical use can be researched and made available.

Just spotted this between all the smoke over firing Gordhan on the news24 site.

The Western Cape High Court made the landmark ruling, declaring that it is an infringement of constitutional rights to ban the use of dagga by adults in private homes.

In making the ruling on Friday, it has allowed for the possession, cultivation and use of dagga at home – for private use.

It has also ruled that Parliament must change sections of the Drug Trafficking Act, as well as the Medicines Control Act.

Might be prudent to have a separate area for all the "MJ vapes" questions that are bound to follow. :)

I'm conflicted on this topic. Might just grow some to make up my mind... and because I can. No, seriously, if this is your kind of thing then good for you but I have enough sinful pleasures on my plate not to feel the need to add any.

Regards

I'm conflicted on this topic. Might just grow some to make up my mind... and because I can. No, seriously, if this is your kind of thing then good for you but I have enough sinful pleasures on my plate not to feel the need to add any.

Regards
I'm same. Single malt and vaping are my poisons of choice . I only got interested in this from a medicinal point of view after witnessing it's effective use as such and seeing the difficulties legitimate users are experiencing due to the legal status of the plant.

I'm pleased with this ruling, not because I smoke weed but that as adult individuals it is our right to do with our bodies as we please. Hope this doesn't cause an increase in teenage use though, can't pass your exams when your high :worried:

Great, now we have to rewrite our drug and alcohol policies at work. I can see this potentially becoming an issue. Lets see how this plays out.

This seems like the whole "cherry shrimp" saga in the tropical freshwater aquarium conundrum. It is legal to have and enjoy, but illegal to purchase/sell. SO how do you get it ... will you have to go through the medical route, obtaining permits etc.

As an "adult at home" I am not to phased about this ruling. As a manager at work I am already thinking of all the policies that will have to be revised.

The immediate question is, would it be seen as part of the vaping culture in terms of dry herb vaporizer's? Would we include and accept it as part of this forum?

Finally... Some good news considering all that's happened in the past 24 hours!!

On a serious note... Unless you've already been a weed smoker this law or ruling won't really make non-pot-heads go buy a bankie just because they can smoke at home. It just alleviates the workload of the justice system to an extent...

I find it rather suspicious that it breaks the day before April Fools, almost like a large portion of the population will pass it off as a joke once it gets TV and newspaper coverage.

I find it rather suspicious that it breaks the day before April Fools, almost like a large portion of the population will pass it off as a joke once it gets TV and newspaper coverage.

What's even more suspicious is weed gets legalized, then Zuma plays the fantasy wild card with his cabinet reshuffle...

Hmmm food for thought... Well food for munchies too but I digress...

Great, now we have to rewrite our drug and alcohol policies at work. I can see this potentially becoming an issue. Lets see how this plays out.

This seems like the whole "cherry shrimp" saga in the tropical freshwater aquarium conundrum. It is legal to have and enjoy, but illegal to purchase/sell. SO how do you get it ... will you have to go through the medical route, obtaining permits etc.

As an "adult at home" I am not to phased about this ruling. As a manager at work I am already thinking of all the policies that will have to be revised.
Having just read another article about this, what the judgement comes down to is only home use. The judgement does not extend to use outside of the privacy of your own home.

Having just read another article about this, what the judgement comes down to is only home use. The judgement does not extend to use outside of the privacy of your own home.
I think @Anneries meant about drug testing in the workplace... would now be of dubious benefit.

I dont think that any policies would have to be revisited. I can already 'legally' drink myself into a coma at home, but my employer still has the right to kick my ass out and take disciplinary steps if I pitch up drunk at the workplace.

I think that trying to operate machinery or just being in an environment where your own or others' safety depends on your sobriety or ability to think clearly, there should be no need to change any rules of engagement. You are either fit, or not fit to do the job, and that is exactly why some industries have compulsory testing which is done.

I have no idea how long after use substances like cannabis remains detectable in the bloodstream or if there are specific 'limits' defined, but I sure as hell would not particularly want a pilot to fly me from Jhb to Dbn when his eyes are so red he has to wear shades to stop spattering blood everywhere when he blinks, no matter what substance he is on.

Back