Should We Use Something Else Than The Evolv Dna 30?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre

Reonaut
VIP
LV

Awards
I agree; we just need to remember that the dimensions of the Rhino might change slightly to host any alternative.

I agree : surely changes won't be major ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I am happy with looking at alternatives as long as it will still perform well

I am happy with looking at alternatives. With regards to the final decision, if the build quality and durability are at least the same as the evolv then I say go for it.

Let me stir the pot a little here :)

I see two options:

1. We find an alternative board. Ideally we secure one, let @johan strap it to his bench and torture and analyse it to death. If it shows reliability, consistent output and is a genuine peer with the evolve, then it gets my nod, whoever it is made by.

2. We see if we can make a simpler mech Rhino, to at least be busy with something until the 30w chips from evolve become available. We have the white Rhino (mech only) and the black Rhino (30w Elec)

Sorry couldn't really find a better place to post this, had some feedback from YihieCigar after our discussion in the canned DNA 30 clone buy.

I quote
"Tks for ur email.
We are glad to know that there is custoner from South Africa knew our products SX350.
Yes, because DNA30,DNA20 and our SX220 22W ,SX300 etc are all 1st generation chip. Only SX350 is the 2nd generation because it can be upgradable, handle subohm 0.2ohm, have By-pass features.
MOQ is 50pcs. But you can take some samples from us firstly then you decide it .ok ?
Attached dimension for your reference.

Pls kindly tell me the name of your company and website link.
SX350 is very popular in USA now. You can check the ECF forum.

Waiting for your reply.
B.rgds,

Cari"

This is from Cari whom I think Johan also contacted, will you pick it up from here @johan ? I indicated in the initial enquiry that the requirement is for a custom mod to be built in SA. I attach the dimensions of the SX350 hereto..

Attachments

• SX350-MECHANICAL DIMENSION.pdf
    157 KB · Views: 14
Thank you @JakesSA I will wait until Cari reply to my email, should be today as they all return back to normal after the Chinese Labour holidays. I suggest you send Cari an email mentioning my name (its a chinese thing you know) and I will ask her to deliver samples to my office in Shenzhen as there's a container almost ready to be shipped by air freight to SA. If she does not reply to my email, which might be possible, I will pm the address in chinese to you if you don't mind.

Last edited:
I have emailed her to expect communication from you , maybe pm me your email address and I'll forward you the email to reply to directly?

Yes please use Yihiecigar SX350. Its the better chipset. Also I use the SX200 in the sigilei and its flawless in terms of quality.

Also if I remember correctly, P.B tested it against the 20W Evolve chipset and it was pretty much identical.. So I think that answers Devs, question.

Thanks for the input @Gizmo , its good to know that you had some positive experience with the SX200, but I still think we should give the SX350 a thorough stress test and eliminate all potential problems especially on end-user level; "we need to protect the end-user against himself with this design to make it successful" :--)

If another chip is as good or nearly as good as the original one we were looking at I really cannot see why not.
I am in no position to judge the merits of these chipsets myself.

But I like @devdev's suggestion of testing it first.

Update: emailed Cari with JakesSA's response email and asked for samples to be deliver to my office in Shenzhen which is less than 50km from Dongguan where Yihiecigar's factory is situated. Will keep you guys up to date as soon as I receive confirmation from Cari. As soon as @TylerD decides to come back from holiday I will email dimensional drawings to him - on paper it looks like the SX350 circuit board + screen will fit snugly into the Rhino and we will save 2 extra buttons.

Personally I would only agree to ordering quantities of a chip if @johan said that it performed in the manner that it was expected to, the quality was good, and that we were not compromising on anything by using the proposed chip instead of the DNA.

Reliability, Consistency and Quality are what the DNA offers. I certainly don't want to be associated with a faulty, unreliable or poor quality fake cloned product.

Personally I would only agree to ordering quantities of a chip if @johan said that it performed in the manner that it was expected to, the quality was good, and that we were not compromising on anything by using the proposed chip instead of the DNA.

Reliability, Consistency and Quality are what the DNA offers. I certainly don't want to be associated with a faulty, unreliable or poor quality fake cloned product.
Cranky old Grandma...with a weapon of mass destruction:D!

That's exactly why we requested samples first; to do serious tests by myself as well as other techies on this forum that would like to assist. PS. On some other technical forums the test results looks quite impressive, but I prefer personal testing.

Let me stir the pot a little here :)

I see two options:

1. We find an alternative board. Ideally we secure one, let @johan strap it to his bench and torture and analyse it to death. If it shows reliability, consistent output and is a genuine peer with the evolve, then it gets my nod, whoever it is made by.

2. We see if we can make a simpler mech Rhino, to at least be busy with something until the 30w chips from evolve become available. We have the white Rhino (mech only) and the black Rhino (30w Elec)
I agree with @devdev .
A mech Rhino will be awesome to take it through all the paces. Adding a board will be easy then.
Atleast then we can get the connection etc. ready.
@johan , you can send me the dimensions and I can start putting something together. I have already done two alternatives with 18650 and 26650 battery options.
Same design, different dimensions. Just need to do the smaller details if we agree on a mech alternative till we get the boards sorted out.

I can see a lovely trio developing in Afriville over time

The Hippo
The Rhino
The little vlakvark

I agree with @devdev .
A mech Rhino will be awesome to take it through all the paces. Adding a board will be easy then.
Atleast then we can get the connection etc. ready.
@johan , you can send me the dimensions and I can start putting something together. I have already done two alternatives with 18650 and 26650 battery options.
Same design, different dimensions. Just need to do the smaller details if we agree on a mech alternative till we get the boards sorted out.

Will email to you - hope you're well rested after the holiday.

I can see a lovely trio developing in Afriville over time

The Hippo
The Rhino
The little vlakvark
Hippo = 26650 mod
Rhino = 18650 mod
I get those, but what in the seven hells is the 'little vlakvark'? I'm hoping that's not what you intend to call the mech version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back