Stupid question?

Spongebob

Vaping Enthusiast
LV

Awards
I want to build a coil for my goblin mini but don't wanna order just a roll of wire to test......now the stupid questionthe copper or silver wire inside an electrical cord, would that be suitable for vaping? if not, why not?

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

No its a bad idea. You just might trigger a flux capacitor energy field and be transported back to 1985

Copper and silver are excellent conductors it it doesn't heat up when electric current passes through thats why it's used in wires.
On the other hand the heating element in a toaster or an electric iron can be used as they heat up when electricity passes through them. But that won't be safe as they might contain metals that are harmful when inhaled.

might contain metals that are harmful when inhaled

I'm the furthest thing from an electrical engineer but this would be my main concern of using just any type of element that is not meant for vaping.

Heavy metals in your bloodstream will lead to kidney failure. And vaping in the Renal unit at the hospital is not cool.

I'm the furthest thing from an electrical engineer but this would be my main concern of using just any type of element that is not meant for vaping.

Heavy metals in your bloodstream will lead to kidney failure. And vaping in the Renal unit at the hospital is not cool.
Ok? So what is vaping wire made off? what about a lightbulb filament?

This is such a bad idea on so many levels....

Yes, copper and silver are very good conductors - i.e. They have a very LOW resistance. @Faiyaz Cheulkar your statement is incorrect - the opposite is true!!! A 5 wrap copper coil would heat up instantly and probably melt very quickly on a mod unless its 10 gauge or thicker. You would need probably 20 wraps or more to get a resistance that can be fired by your mod. Silver coloured wires are not silver, they are tinned copper. Silver wire is available for special uses, but no way in a domestic scenario. Your extension lead would cost several thousand Rand.....

Copper oxidises very quickly. Silver less so but it also corrodes rapidly. I can just imagine your coil with green verdigris all over it after a day... Sounds very healthy.....

Copper and silver is very soft and it would be a challenge to get a wick through.

Last edited:
Ok? So what is vaping wire made off?
emoji52.png
what about a lightbulb filament?
emoji23.png
emoji16.png
emoji23.png

Do some research....
Kanthal - Alloy of Iron Chrome Aluminium
Stainless Steel - UHHHH Stainless Steel...
Titanium - Let me think.... Titanium?
Nichrome - Alloy of Nickel and Chrome

Last edited:
I want to build a coil for my goblin mini but don't wanna order just a roll of wire to test......now the stupid questionthe copper or silver wire inside an electrical cord, would that be suitable for vaping? if not, why not?

The "silver" wire is tinned copper.

Baxk in my appy days we were warned never to smoke after touching bare copper wire as is causes a sweet taste to the burning cig that is copper sulphate or something like that and very toxic ... yet you want to vape on copper wire directly? bad news.
The harm to your health is real.
The safer wires for vaping are kanthal, SS and nichrome N80.
Titanium and nickle in a pinch at lower temps and only in TC mode, not power mode.

Speaking under correction but the heating element in toasters and hairdryers and car sigerete lighters are mad from nichrome remember this from before I swiched of to ni80 did some research but i am not any expert in any form of electricity and wont risk it.

Just order a roll of wire they are relatively in expensive and will last you a lifetime single coil builds a 30ft roll lasted me a year before i got a bit build crazy. One thing i can say anything you build yourself will be an exceptional improvement on commercial coils.
You can start with kanthal or ni80 24ga is great to begin with easy to wrap and 5wraps to 8wraps normally a winner on single coil.

Do some research....
Kanthal - Alloy of Iron Chrome Aluminium
Stainless Steel - UHHHH Stainless Steel...
Tintanium - Let me think.... Titanium?
Nichrome - Alloy of Nickel and Chrome
Stainless steel is a metal alloy, made up of iron mixed with elements such as chromium, nickel, molybdenum, silicon, aluminum, and carbon. Iron mixed with carbon to produce steel is the main component of stainless steel.

Regards

@Raindance - Yes, of course Stainless steel is also an alloy - I didn't elaborate because it's so common. Have to disagree with you on the main constituents though. SS is primarily iron and it is the chromium and to a lesser extent molybdenum components that makes it corrosion resistant.... The carbon content is actually very low. Carbon hardens iron so higher percentages are used where more strength is required, but typically carbon is well under 1% in SS.

Last edited:

I like your thinking @Spongebob
But my suggestion is to raher stick with wire made for vaping
Kanthal, NI80 and SS are my wires of choice

Some of my observations:
Kanthal - allrounder and lasts long. Not suitable for temp control.
NI80 - slightly lower resistance and heats up a bit faster
SS - good for crisp fruity menthol vapes. Lower resistance. Can use for temp control

I think the resistance of copper wire will be WAY too low.

Don't listen to the nay-sayers! Copper coils brings out super crisp flavour! I've been building with all kinds of lay at home cables for years and I'm still well and kicking :)

My absolute favourite though has to be Soldering wire. That stuff brings out the nicotine kick like no other! Talk about a headspin.

Don't listen to the nay-sayers! Copper coils brings out super crisp flavour! I've been building with all kinds of lay at home cables for years and I'm still well and kicking :)

My absolute favourite though has to be Soldering wire. That stuff brings out the nicotine kick like no other! Talk about a headspin.
Surely you're yesting???

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

Now I can't say if u are being funny or telling the truth.

I too enjoy the crisp flavour im getting off using copper wire inside of CAT 6 UTP cable. May go to build

I want to build a coil for my goblin mini but don't wanna order just a roll of wire to test......now the stupid question
emoji13.png
the copper or silver wire inside an electrical cord, would that be suitable for vaping?
emoji16.png
if not, why not?
emoji53.png
emoji20.png
emoji39.png

Why would you waste your time on that cheap stuff, when you can go straight for gold. I've found a small roll of 0.4mm 24k gold wire in my jewellery workshop and is by far superior to any other type of wire you could find around a house. Flavour is perfect and coils will last you forever.
If you by some chance you don't have any, it's very easy to recover some from old cellphones and other electronic waste you maybe have laying around.

Pffft... when you guys are brave enough come join us real vapers who use 20 awg uranium 235, burns all the gunk off while you vape and nothing beats blowing a cloud that glows in the dark :rolleyes:

Pffft... when you guys are brave enough come join us real vapers who use 20 awg uranium 235, burns all the gunk off while you vape and nothing beats blowing a cloud that glows in the dark :rolleyes:

Tried that last year, and vapor looks beautifull, all fluorescent and emerald green, but for some reason flavour gets a bit funky, so I had to give it up.

Damn chinese vendors selling 234 as 235 :mad:

Tried that last year, and vapor looks beautifull, all fluorescent and emerald green, but for some reason flavour gets a bit funky, so I had to give it up.

Don't worry, just liquidise some tide pod and mix it in 10:1 ratio sorts out the nasty chemical taste.

Why would you waste your time on that cheap stuff, when you can go straight for gold. I've found a small roll of 0.4mm 24k gold wire in my jewellery workshop and is by far superior to any other type of wire you could find around a house. Flavour is perfect and coils will last you forever.
If you by some chance you don't have any, it's very easy to recover some from old cellphones and other electronic waste you maybe have laying around.
You serious what would i recover it from and how?

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

Back