Temp Control Stuff :P

n0ugh7_zw

Data in the streets, Riker in the sheets!
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
Basically a place for people to post stuff like TCR values that work well for them, maybe some CSV files for use in eScribe, that kind of thing.

I'll get the ball rolling with this.

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 9.54.31 PM.png

TCR values for mods other than the Evic VTC Mini. I have used the values for SS304 and NiFethal52 with good effect on the SX Mini M.

G0zX6g7.jpg

So, prior to seeing @n0ugh7_zw OP, I didn't know that there was a difference between SS316 and SS316L (well I didn't know that SS316 existed and thought the L was just left out for abbreviation purposes.

A quick google search and cross referencing a few non-vape-related forums taught me that SS316L has a lower carbon content than SS316 and because of the higher Carbon content in SS316, "it can lead to sensitization and precipitation of Chromium Carbide at the grain boundaries making it more susceptible to intergranular corrosion" (ya, thats where things started flying over my head too), but it appears that this is the case during welding only (or other reasons to heat to very high temp) which requires a CR@P load of heat (in excess of 800 degrees fahrenheit or 430 degrees Celcius if I understood the posts correctly). It also appears that the resistance would be identical at the same diameter.

In my understanding, there would be no difference (or added risks) between these 2 wire types because in normal operation, our mods/tanks/batteries would explode before achieving those temps; however, if any of you fellow vapers know a bit more about the difference between SS316 and SS316L then please do advise.

This is great, i just got the cuboid and have no idea what these settings are for. Is this about trying to get a better vaping experience or is it more about getting the temperature as accurate as possible? iv only got 316L but i am keen to experiment with it.

This is great, i just got the cuboid and have no idea what these settings are for. Is this about trying to get a better vaping experience or is it more about getting the temperature as accurate as possible? iv only got 316L but i am keen to experiment with it.
Your device polls the wire coil and equates the wire resistance with a heat value in deg C, using feedback it maintains a constant temp.
It does this by knowing what the resistance coefficient is ...TCR value that you enter into its flash memory via the gui.

Pretty clever way of not letting the temp go beyond burning cotton wick territory.. ie a better vape for you and kinder on the juice, both from an economy point of view as well as not caramelising due to high temps.

OK! so gents (and ladies) heres my next contribution.

UD SS316L DNA200 Profile

This is the profile I'm currently using on my DNA200.

First up heres the curve (off of steam engine)

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 5.50.54 PM.png

ok, the forum won't let me upload a CSV.

So here are the values (Just copy and past into notepad and change the file extension to .csv)

"Temperature (degF)","Electrical Resistivity"

Alternatively, here is a link to one I made earlier :p
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymiy6zw1sf6k8mp/UD_SS316L_DNA200.csv?dl=0

Right, so I'm running a SS316L build in my Sapor RDA

Wire: SS316L (UD) | Gauge: 24 | Wraps: 6 Per Coil (Spaced) | ID: 3.5MM | Resistance: 0.16 OHMS | Preheat: 200W | Temp: 245C | Power: 75W

So hows it vape? Put simply it is the most saturated tasty vape I've ever had, bar none. So far I've only come across one rub. 245C is pretty far beyond the flashpoint of cotton, so if you vape it a lot when its dry you will singe the wick. but its best to think of it like this, its a super slo-mo dry hit, so you always catch it before any damage is done to your wicks.

I'm also finding that i can pump crazy amounts of juice through this setup between wickings. First wick was 75mls (not really special) second wicking is still going 180mls+ later...

This is a picture from the rewicking.

Last edited:
my question. would the tcr value be different between dual coil and single coil?

my question. would the tcr value be different between dual coil and single coil?
No, not as far as I know, but you might want to adjust your other variables (Joules/Watts and Temperature) accordingly.

thanks for the awesome post bro @n0ugh7_zw its really helpful :). I haven't tried SS yet, being going strong with claptons - I'm more of a flavor chaser.

So last night I did a build with SS316 on a Vortice RDA (26g at 0.25ohms, scottish roll wick) and I must say that for the first time I get the whole temp control thing. I went off dripping as I have a tendency to not pay attention and then ending up with a very unpleasant dry hit. SS and TC works brilliantly, no more dry hits and I'm sure the cotton will last much longer :D

So last night I did a build with SS316 on a Vortice RDA (26g at 0.25ohms, scottish roll wick) and I must say that for the first time I get the whole temp control thing. I went off dripping as I have a tendency to not pay attention and then ending up with a very unpleasant dry hit. SS and TC works brilliantly, no more dry hits and I'm sure the cotton will last much longer :D
Hi, may I ask you to please post a pic of the vortice build, one from the top and one from the side. The reason I ask is that I have a 26g titanium build in mine with scottish wick, I am just not feeling it like I did with 24g Kanthal. I know I am doing something wrong. Pics would help.
Thanks

@Phillip868 I'm running at 200 C and 40 Watts, anything above that is a bit too hot for me

@Phillip868 I'm running at 200 C and 40 Watts, anything above that is a bit too hot for me
Maybe thats the reason I dont enjoy it, I did try it now at the temp you use, a bit cooler, but I am getting a little better flavour. I have yet to try SS, I read on Steam engine that If I use the Ti preset with SS wire, I have to set the temp way lower to get to an actual 200C. Can anyone confirm if this does indeed work. I have 60w Istick.

Maybe thats the reason I dont enjoy it, I did try it now at the temp you use, a bit cooler, but I am getting a little better flavour. I have yet to try SS, I read on Steam engine that If I use the Ti preset with SS wire, I have to set the temp way lower to get to an actual 200C. Can anyone confirm if this does indeed work. I have 60w Istick.

I start the temp low on a new build and then increase until I get the right flavour, I've never used titanium though. I use the standard SS316 setting on the Evic VTC Mini, not sure about the Istick unfortunately.

anyone build a micro coil yet with SS316L or wont this work only spaced coils

In light of my DNA200 being KIA, I'm using my VTC Mini, and I tell you what, the TC on this little bugger works pretty well!

Rocking my sapor setup on it, with a TCR of 92 (UD 316L) and ye, its rocking at 245C

Just built my Zephyrus V2 with 26G UD 316L

7 Wraps per coil, 2.5mm ID contact coils.

Have to say I'm getting a better vape using Joyetechs SS316 setting, as opposed to using a custom TCR... It's much warmer, and the power drops off a lot less dramatically as you drag longer.

Vaping a fairly delicate grape + menthol juice, and the flavours really damned good :p

I guess what remains to be seen is if my wicking game is just on point, and its keeping up. or is the Joyetech profile just that good.

Last edited:
Back