This Intriguingly Unique Looking Mod Is What Newbies Want!

daniel craig

Vaping Addict
LV

Awards
Lock and Load with SMOKTech’s latest kit release called the MAG Kit. It seems like 2017 was the year for SMOK who released a new mod almost every month! SMOK is back again this year with yet another intriguingly unique looking mod called the SMOK MAG 225W.

The MAG Kit has gained quite a lot of interest and popularity on Instagram and seems to be one of, if not the most desired SMOK mod by newbie vapers. For some people, this mod can be seen as a gimmick but to others, this design is quite impressive. SMOK's aim with releasing many mods is so that there will be at least 1 mod that suits you. In the past we've seen Limitless Mod Co with their Arms Race mod which had a lot of cons but was still desired by many. The Mag kit caters for those vapers who like their military themed mods (In my case, ergonomics :h:)

mag 3-01.jpeg

The MAG Kit is designed to resemble a pistol grip and it’s just as comfortable as it looks. SMOK took it a step further with this mod and drifted away from their side-bar firing mechanism and added a pistol trigger instead as well as MECHANISM right next to the trigger which releases the bottom loaded battery door. The design of the MAG 225w is unusual and superb to say the least. SMOK has really designed this mod with gun enthusiasts in mind.

Mod Specs:
  • Size: 92.3 x 65 x 30 mm
  • Wattage Range: 6-225 W
  • Temperature Range: 200℉-600℉ / 100℃-315℃
  • Voltage Range: 0.5-9 V
  • Batteries: Powered by 2 18650 batteries (not included)
  • Resistance: 0.1-3 Ohm (VW) / 0.05-3 Ohm (TC)
TFV12 PRINCE Specs:
  • Size: 63 x 28 mm / 63 x 25.5 mm (EU Edition)
  • Capacity: 8 mL / 2 mL (EU Edition)
  • Material: Stainless steel and Pyrex glass
  • Thread: 510
In the box you will find:
  • 1 x Mag Mod
  • 1 x TFV12 Prince Tank
  • 1 x V12 Prince-Q4 0.4Ω Quadruple Coils (pre-installed)
  • 1 x V12 Prince-T10 0.12Ω Decuple Coils
  • 1 x Replacement Glass Tube
  • 1 x USB Cable
  • 1 x User Manual

mag 1.jpg

Design:

Like many other SMOK Mods, the MAG offers the same 225w of power, functional specs and user interface, however, unlike their other mods, the MAG offers a whole new design and form factor. Just by looking at the design of this mod you can tell that it was designed with gun enthusiasts in mind. SMOK decided to create a mod with a strong military presence and they have definitely succeeded in doing that.

mag 4-01.jpeg

The MAG Mod is definitely not the lightest dual cell mod! This mod has got some weight to it and is quite bulky. Due to the design, the ergonomics are excellent and it fits perfectly in the hand. The build quality on this mod great. The materials used do feel like high quality and the matte finish paint work is holding up really well. I don’t think the paint will peel off this mod easily.

On the larger side of the mod there a HD OLED colour screen display that can be set to six different color options which include blue, purple, brown, red, silver and green, much like their previous releases.

On the screen you can view your vaping data such as wattage, temperature, battery life, puff time, resistance, voltage, mode and more, all in a beautiful High Definition OLED display. The display itself is quite bright so you won’t have any issues viewing this information in outdoors. The screen on this mod is brilliant to say the least.

Underneath your display are two adjustment buttons that follow the same colour scheme as the mod. The buttons on the mod and the mod itself has no rattle at all. The centralized 510-connector at the top of the mod will allow you to use RTA’s up to 30mm in diameter. It should be noted that the 510 is slightly raised and isn’t flush and this is because of the design of the mod. The top of the mod has a slight incline so to keep the tanks straight, SMOK had to elevate the 510-connector. You’ll see this in the pictures.

mag.jpg

The firing bar on this device is different from SMOK’s usual design. Instead of a side bar trigger, SMOK has designed to feel like a trigger of a handgun and it works really well. Taking the gun-design even further, the mod has a flower shaped button/mechanism right next to the firing button (trigger) that releases the bottom-loading battery door. This was a really nice touch and I think you can adjust the tightness of this button by using the included screwdriver. This system works really well and you might think that it’s easy to mistakenly press this button and release the clip whilst vaping but that is definitely not the case. When you’re holding the device, you prevent the button from being pressed fully because your palm will block the button from being pushed all the way. I also find that this button gets quite stiff when your batteries are in the clip. When there’s no batteries in the clip, you can press the button and release the clip with little force.

Using the device:

For those of you who have used SMOK devices before, using this device isn’t very different. The user interface is similar to their other mods. 5 clicks to turn on the device and 3 clicks to get into the menu. Mastering this interface is extremely easy and will probably take a newbie less than an hour to learn the menu properly.

The MAG offers 5 options in the menu:

1. Mode – Here you have ‘WATT’ mode which allows you customize the strength. This is something similar to the pre-heat function in the previous SMOK devices and helps with the ramp up time. You can set it to Soft, Normal, Hard. You also get a ‘Memory’ option which lets you store up to 22 presets.

‘Temp’ mode is the temperature control mode which works pretty much similar to other mods. You can set your preferred wattage, wire type (Ni, Ti, SS) and the TCR value for your wire type.

2. Puffs – Allows you to set a puff limit if you wish to do so.

3. Screen Settings - Colour settings for the mod’s display and screen timeout.

4. Power – Switch off the mod.

To be quite honest here, the performance of this device is just like all of the other SMOK mod’s with the biggest difference being the design. The performance of this device is excellent. The chip has no noticeable delay which results in instant firing as soon as you press the button. The user interface is done really well and is quite easy to navigate even if you are completely new to the interface. I don't use Temperature Control so I have not tested it out but I'm pretty sure in TC Mode it will perform similar to their previous mods. In wattage mode, it performs really well with no delays, lack of power or miss-fires. The biggest difference with this device is the tank that SMOK include and the design of the device.

The tank that comes with this mod is the TFV12 Prince tank. I’m not much of a sub-ohm tank fan and I haven’t used many to compare this tank to but what I can say is that the TFV12 Prince beats all the sub-ohm tanks I’ve tried. If I had to give up RTA’s and RDA’s, there’s no doubt that this will be my tank of choice. The vapor production off this tank is incredible as you would expect and the flavor is good. Keep in mind that this tank does take massive coil heads and ploughs through juice at an alarming rate. With the bubble glass, you get an 8mL capacity and by using the normal glass, you get a 5mL capacity. It’s extremely easy to burn through 8mL of juice with this tank and I don’t see 8mL getting you through a day with this beast so you’re definitely going to have to carry a bottle of juice with you. Thankfully, it does have an easy and convenient top fill design which makes refilling this tank really easy.

mag 2-01.jpeg

SMOK has done an amazing job with this device. The design is absolutely gorgeous! They have done a fantastic job in sticking to the military theme. This mod is more than just a fancy looking Zinc Alloy Casing, SMOK did not compromise on the performance of this device so you most definitely won’t be disappointed at how this device performs. All the gun enthusiasts are in for a treat with this mod.

IMHO this may or may not be a good mod.
The problem I have is the hype from the manufacturers as well as the fans with newly released mods.
If a new product is described in the following way it had better be the greatest thing since sliced bread :
"...definitely succeeded....intriguingly unique...is unusual and superb to say the least...beautiful...this device is excellent...amazing job...absolutely gorgeous...most definitely won’t be disappointed.. in for a treat .." This type of hyperbole is found in most new device advertising.
The sad reality is that, we as consumers, accept the hype and are often taken in by it.
My ideal review would be the following. This mod looks a bit different. If you like the way it looks you may want to buy it. Apart from the exterior design, it offers nothing new.
Grumpy opinion...Yes ! There are probably at least five new mods released every week. All of them look a bit different but offer little in the way of real progress.

Lock and Load with SMOKTech’s latest kit release called the MAG Kit. It seems like 2017 was the year for SMOK who released a new mod almost every month! SMOK is back again this year with yet another intriguingly unique looking mod called the SMOK MAG 225W.

The MAG Kit has gained quite a lot of interest and popularity on Instagram and seems to be one of, if not the most desired SMOK mod by newbie vapers. For some people, this mod can be seen as a gimmick but to others, this design is quite impressive. SMOK's aim with releasing many mods is so that there will be at least 1 mod that suits you. In the past we've seen Limitless Mod Co with their Arms Race mod which had a lot of cons but was still desired by many. The Mag kit caters for those vapers who like their military themed mods (In my case, ergonomics :h:)

View attachment 125357

The MAG Kit is designed to resemble a pistol grip and it’s just as comfortable as it looks. SMOK took it a step further with this mod and drifted away from their side-bar firing mechanism and added a pistol trigger instead as well as MECHANISM right next to the trigger which releases the bottom loaded battery door. The design of the MAG 225w is unusual and superb to say the least. SMOK has really designed this mod with gun enthusiasts in mind.

Mod Specs:
  • Size: 92.3 x 65 x 30 mm
  • Wattage Range: 6-225 W
  • Temperature Range: 200℉-600℉ / 100℃-315℃
  • Voltage Range: 0.5-9 V
  • Batteries: Powered by 2 18650 batteries (not included)
  • Resistance: 0.1-3 Ohm (VW) / 0.05-3 Ohm (TC)
TFV12 PRINCE Specs:
  • Size: 63 x 28 mm / 63 x 25.5 mm (EU Edition)
  • Capacity: 8 mL / 2 mL (EU Edition)
  • Material: Stainless steel and Pyrex glass
  • Thread: 510
In the box you will find:
  • 1 x Mag Mod
  • 1 x TFV12 Prince Tank
  • 1 x V12 Prince-Q4 0.4Ω Quadruple Coils (pre-installed)
  • 1 x V12 Prince-T10 0.12Ω Decuple Coils
  • 1 x Replacement Glass Tube
  • 1 x USB Cable
  • 1 x User Manual

View attachment 125358

Design:

Like many other SMOK Mods, the MAG offers the same 225w of power, functional specs and user interface, however, unlike their other mods, the MAG offers a whole new design and form factor. Just by looking at the design of this mod you can tell that it was designed with gun enthusiasts in mind. SMOK decided to create a mod with a strong military presence and they have definitely succeeded in doing that.

View attachment 125359

The MAG Mod is definitely not the lightest dual cell mod! This mod has got some weight to it and is quite bulky. Due to the design, the ergonomics are excellent and it fits perfectly in the hand. The build quality on this mod great. The materials used do feel like high quality and the matte finish paint work is holding up really well. I don’t think the paint will peel off this mod easily.

On the larger side of the mod there a HD OLED colour screen display that can be set to six different color options which include blue, purple, brown, red, silver and green, much like their previous releases.

On the screen you can view your vaping data such as wattage, temperature, battery life, puff time, resistance, voltage, mode and more, all in a beautiful High Definition OLED display. The display itself is quite bright so you won’t have any issues viewing this information in outdoors. The screen on this mod is brilliant to say the least.

Underneath your display are two adjustment buttons that follow the same colour scheme as the mod. The buttons on the mod and the mod itself has no rattle at all. The centralized 510-connector at the top of the mod will allow you to use RTA’s up to 30mm in diameter. It should be noted that the 510 is slightly raised and isn’t flush and this is because of the design of the mod. The top of the mod has a slight incline so to keep the tanks straight, SMOK had to elevate the 510-connector. You’ll see this in the pictures.

View attachment 125361

The firing bar on this device is different from SMOK’s usual design. Instead of a side bar trigger, SMOK has designed to feel like a trigger of a handgun and it works really well. Taking the gun-design even further, the mod has a flower shaped button/mechanism right next to the firing button (trigger) that releases the bottom-loading battery door. This was a really nice touch and I think you can adjust the tightness of this button by using the included screwdriver. This system works really well and you might think that it’s easy to mistakenly press this button and release the clip whilst vaping but that is definitely not the case. When you’re holding the device, you prevent the button from being pressed fully because your palm will block the button from being pushed all the way. I also find that this button gets quite stiff when your batteries are in the clip. When there’s no batteries in the clip, you can press the button and release the clip with little force.

Using the device:

For those of you who have used SMOK devices before, using this device isn’t very different. The user interface is similar to their other mods. 5 clicks to turn on the device and 3 clicks to get into the menu. Mastering this interface is extremely easy and will probably take a newbie less than an hour to learn the menu properly.

The MAG offers 5 options in the menu:

1. Mode – Here you have ‘WATT’ mode which allows you customize the strength. This is something similar to the pre-heat function in the previous SMOK devices and helps with the ramp up time. You can set it to Soft, Normal, Hard. You also get a ‘Memory’ option which lets you store up to 22 presets.

‘Temp’ mode is the temperature control mode which works pretty much similar to other mods. You can set your preferred wattage, wire type (Ni, Ti, SS) and the TCR value for your wire type.

2. Puffs – Allows you to set a puff limit if you wish to do so.

3. Screen Settings - Colour settings for the mod’s display and screen timeout.

4. Power – Switch off the mod.

To be quite honest here, the performance of this device is just like all of the other SMOK mod’s with the biggest difference being the design. The performance of this device is excellent. The chip has no noticeable delay which results in instant firing as soon as you press the button. The user interface is done really well and is quite easy to navigate even if you are completely new to the interface. I don't use Temperature Control so I have not tested it out but I'm pretty sure in TC Mode it will perform similar to their previous mods. In wattage mode, it performs really well with no delays, lack of power or miss-fires. The biggest difference with this device is the tank that SMOK include and the design of the device.

The tank that comes with this mod is the TFV12 Prince tank. I’m not much of a sub-ohm tank fan and I haven’t used many to compare this tank to but what I can say is that the TFV12 Prince beats all the sub-ohm tanks I’ve tried. If I had to give up RTA’s and RDA’s, there’s no doubt that this will be my tank of choice. The vapor production off this tank is incredible as you would expect and the flavor is good. Keep in mind that this tank does take massive coil heads and ploughs through juice at an alarming rate. With the bubble glass, you get an 8mL capacity and by using the normal glass, you get a 5mL capacity. It’s extremely easy to burn through 8mL of juice with this tank and I don’t see 8mL getting you through a day with this beast so you’re definitely going to have to carry a bottle of juice with you. Thankfully, it does have an easy and convenient top fill design which makes refilling this tank really easy.

View attachment 125360

SMOK has done an amazing job with this device. The design is absolutely gorgeous! They have done a fantastic job in sticking to the military theme. This mod is more than just a fancy looking Zinc Alloy Casing, SMOK did not compromise on the performance of this device so you most definitely won’t be disappointed at how this device performs. All the gun enthusiasts are in for a treat with this mod.
Did you take those photos @daniel craig ?

Airport security may not find this mod very desirable...

IMHO this may or may not be a good mod.
The problem I have is the hype from the manufacturers as well as the fans with newly released mods.
If a new product is described in the following way it had better be the greatest thing since sliced bread :
"...definitely succeeded....intriguingly unique...is unusual and superb to say the least...beautiful...this device is excellent...amazing job...absolutely gorgeous...most definitely won’t be disappointed.. in for a treat .." This type of hyperbole is found in most new device advertising.
The sad reality is that, we as consumers, accept the hype and are often taken in by it.
My ideal review would be the following. This mod looks a bit different. If you like the way it looks you may want to buy it. Apart from the exterior design, it offers nothing new.
Grumpy opinion...Yes ! There are probably at least five new mods released every week. All of them look a bit different but offer little in the way of real progress.

100%. The biggest difference from this and something like a G-Priv 2 or Alien or Pro Color is the exterior design. It offers nothing new in terms of features.

The reason this mod is gaining popularity is because of its design and the fact that the TFV12 Prince is known for clouds. Like every other SMOK mod, you pay for the design of the device and not features.

Last edited:
Excellent photography! I’m not really a fan of Smok stuff but you certainly make it look good. Well done.
I like them mainly for their design. It's not going to replace my DNA device but it does look better than my DNA device.

Featurewise, a DNA75C or DNA250C offers much more features and a much better performance than any SMOK device ever created.

Even when it comes to design, some DNA mods are superior but also have a higher price tag which is why not many newbies actually go for these devices.

100%. The biggest difference from this and something like a G-Priv 2 or Alien or Pro Color is the exterior design. It offers nothing new in terms of features.

The reason this mod is gaining popularity is because of its design and the fact that the TFV12 Prince is known for clouds. Like every other SMOK mod, you pay for the design of the device and not features.
How do you guys feel about that? It seems to be a model that works for many manufacturer's?

How do you guys feel about that? It seems to be a model that works for many manufacturer's?
It does work quite well. If you look at social media platforms like Instagram, a mod that looks good will trend much faster than a device that performs excellent minus the looks. Even excellent performing devices like a DNA device don't trend very often.

If you read up the comments on these posts/pictures, you'll notice that there's much more interest on a good looking device and that's because people, like myself, buy with the eyes. I'm a sucker for a good looking device With all SMOK products, it's the design that will want you to buy it. Theres nothing wrong with the mods performance, it works well but it's the design that makes you want it and not the performance.

Back