To clean coils by dry burning or not to dry burn?

Waine

Elite Vaper
LV

Awards
This may have been asked dozens of times here before.

When your RDA or RTA's cotton wicks starts getting dark and gummed up, do any of you remove the cotton and dry burn the coil?

No doubt, you may have read the varying opinions on the web as to whether this is safe or not. Some say doing this alters the atomic structure of the coil resulting in minuscule particles of metal being absorbed into the juice and lungs. Others say it is no problem.

I saw a trick where a chap dry burns the coil, then carefully dips it into a cup of water, dry burns again, dips and repeats. I tried this. You can see little black particles from the coil sinking to the bottom of the cup.

Is this good or bad?

I just change the coil and wick if the cotton turns brown and the coil gets gummed up. But perhaps I can get away with dry burning to save on wire.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The black particles you see in the water is the residue of the gunking, if that makes sense.

I have always dry burned my coils.

This may have been asked dozens of times here before.

When your RDA or RTA's cotton wicks starts getting dark and gummed up, do any of you remove the cotton and dry burn the coil?

No doubt, you may have read the varying opinions on the web as to whether this is safe or not. Some say doing this alters the atomic structure of the coil resulting in minuscule particles of metal being absorbed into the juice and lungs. Others say it is no problem.

I saw a trick where a chap dry burns the coil, then carefully dips it into a cup of water, dry burns again, dips and repeats. I tried this. You can see little black particles from the coil sinking to the bottom of the cup.

Is this good or bad?

I just change the coil and wick if the cotton turns brown and the coil gets gummed up. But perhaps I can get away with dry burning to save on wire.

Any thoughts?

Rewicking without dry burning hasn't yielded great results for me. I dry burn and dip in water. Cleans the coil up nicely. I also saw the article you mentioned about changing the atomic structure. I'm choosing to remain blissfully ignorant of the health effects :/

I dry burn for abit and then pop into ultrasonic for abt 20 to 30 mins which then makes everything nice and shiny
I really need to get me one of those ultrasonic cleaners.

I use a bowl of water (cold). Dry burn and dunk. Repeat until shiny

You saw black particles coming off of something you were cleaning because it had black particles on it? I fail to see the issue.

You dry fire coils to look for hot spots after installing so whats the difference here?

I would worry about heating up nickel or titanium. The other common wires are all strong alloys that are used day to day in heating applications, you need very high temperatures and a solvent to break them down.

Does this article talking about "atomic structure" provide any kind of scans, analysis or the like, or is it the useless internet nonsense?

Some say doing this alters the atomic structure of the coil resulting in minuscule particles of metal being absorbed into the juice and lungs. Others say it is no problem.

Oxidization will always be a risk when heating coils. Kanthal and SS at the dry fire temp, are not a risk - where as nickle and titanium you need to watch out for. The person describing these metal particles is a little incorrect on the analogy, but in summary - Dont dry burn nickle and titanium

There you go

Rip is a tool, but his advice in this vid is rightf. I do it all the time.

@zadiac Thanks for that clip. Very informative. I never thought of rinsing it under a tap after a dry burn. Brilliant! I will try it. Less tedious than dipping it in a cup of water.

@zadiac Thanks for that clip. Very informative. I never thought of rinsing it under a tap after a dry burn. Brilliant! I will try it. Less tedious than dipping it in a cup of water.

@Waine....lesson I learnt...open the tap just a tad...not a full blast or you gonna have a mod going for a bath...

Is nichrome fine for dry burning? Since its an alloy contaning nickel
Yes its fine, even with kanthal you just pulse for dry burning, as long as you don't try turn your mod in to a portable camping stove you will fine.

I dry burn my coils all the time, the particles that you get is just some of the gunk coming of. Like others have said, DO NOT dry burn Titanium or Nickel. Tried that before without knowing the effects of Titanium and popped a coil, I was blind for half an hour after that... Kanthal, SS and Nichrome will be fine for dry burning, just pulse it and rinse with water.

32Gauge wire is best dry burned at 200watts. Once the coil has dissapeared into dust you can easily put in a new one :campeon2:

I burn my coils with a small butane gas torch... comes clean as whistle... with no rinsing.
Take it from the head first and hold it in the flame with a needle nosed pliers.

I have never bothered with dry burning.
Wire is so cheap that I just put fresh coils in every weekend.

Hi SAVaper, I agree but I have a one tricky deck on my Anyvape RDA coil and it is much easier and quicker to burn... as you can see here below the one is burned and a dirty one.
20160920_192001-1.jpg

When I use the running tap method, I will place a cloth around the neck of the mod and base of the atty fastened with elastic bands to avoid getting water in the mod. From the clip it looks like the tap must be on relatively fast.

Been using this trick lately. Works like a bomb. The tap can even run fast, as long as I take care not to get water on the mod. I also use my oldest mod, just in case there is a cock up.

You dont really need the running tap its a bit OTT, I literally use a teaspoon to dunk the coil in after a cherry red heating.
The steam cleaning effect blasts gunk off in the form of small black ash flakes and the metal of the coil gets a nice wash to remove any nasties.

According to Dr Farsalinos research its not a good thing to dry burn coils, its not seen as bad as smoking, but its a risk which can be mitigated.
http://www.ecigarette-research.org/research/index.php/research/research-2015/212-db

How much is metal exposure elevated by dry-burning the coils? Probably not very much. That is why we think the vapers have over-reacted to my statement on RY4radio. However, we do not see a reason why the exposure to metals should be elevated by doing something which can be avoided.

We will repeat our honest opinion that dry-burning the coils will not make vaping similar or worse than smoking. This is clear and there is no need for over-reactions. However, we should reach to a point that e-cigarettes should not just be compared to smoking (which is an extremely bad comparator) but should be evaluated on absolute terms. If something can be avoided, vapers should be aware of it so that they can avoid it if they want to.

Back