VapeCon Coil Masters

VapeCon

31st August – 01st September 2024
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
Hello all :)

Please can we have an estimate below of how many of you will be entering the VapeCon coil masters at VapeCon 2015.

For those of you who are unsure of what this is please see below rules for the competition. Once you have read through the rules please click the RSVP button below so we can have enough RBA's on the day for all our contestants.

Prizes will be announced soon.

Rules:

• Each contestant will be given a rebuildable atomizer to build on.
  • Participants may use any type of wire/wicking material they wish as this is not sponsored by the event.
  • Contestants may build any type of coil they wish.
  • You may use an app such as vapers toolbox etc.
  • Contestants may use an Ohm meter/ regulated mod to test the resistance of their coils
  • Contestants will need to build a coil reaching a target resistance which will be disclosed at the beginning of the competition.
  • You will need to assemble at the beginning of the competition as all contestants will be building in one place.
  • Contestants are given 10 minutes to build their coils, after 10 minutes you will be disqualified from the event.
Coils will be judged on the following:

• - Originality/Creativity (to encourage some who like being creative with their coils)
    - Coil Neatness
    - Closest to target resistance
    - Wicking technique
    - Flavour
    - Throat Hit
    - Clouds

Judges:

Good luck to those who will be entering and get that coil building practice in :)

[rsvp=11348]Click here to RSVP[/rsvp]

AndreFerreira 1
Benjamin Cripps 1
BigAnt 1
Gambit 1
JW Flynn 1
Keith Milton 1
shaunnadan 1

Total: 7

Last edited:
Are the contestants allowed to use coil jigs/kuro coilers or is it old school coiling using screw drivers etc?

Ohm meter a bit of a fail....... the different material and construction of the atty base will give a different resistance on the final coil. Same coil on 2 different style attys will differ in resistance slightly, from last comp the target was 0.85 so this could be difficult without a ohm meter.

I would enter but don't have all the kanthal sizes. Only 30, 26 and 22. I have a secret method to getting really close to the right ohms but I'm not sure if I am quite the master at coil building yet

So it's just judged on closest resistance?
closest resistance 10 points
2nd closest 9 points (depending on contestants) and so on, but thats just the first possible 10 points.
then you get points for:
Looks
Flavor
Throat Hit
Clouds

I would enter but don't have all the kanthal sizes. Only 30, 26 and 22. I have a secret method to getting really close to the right ohms but I'm not sure if I am quite the master at coil building yet
just enter man, its not gona cost you anything, and you will have fun....

I'll bring 28 and 24 along for you on the day bud.

Now there's no excuse to not enter!

I'll bring 28 and 24 along for you on the day bud.

Now there's no excuse to not enter!

Iv got extra 28 as well if anybody needs, it will be available on the day so just look for me

Just to clarify is the "Coil Masters" different from the the "Coil Building Comp"?
If not then the website or the post need to be updated :confused:

upload_2015-5-16_2-56-26.png

I think the website was filled with the generic usual coild building rules.

as far as i know, no ohm testers will be allowed, but im not too sure on the time limit, if its 10 or 20 min.

@Stroodlepuff

I think the website was filled with the generic usual coild building rules.

as far as i know, no ohm testers will be allowed, but im not too sure on the time limit, if its 10 or 20 min.

@Stroodlepuff

Correct, the rules posted here are the correct ones, the website needs to be updated, I have asked them to do it (As Giz did not do this website) but they have not done it yet. @VapeCon

Come on guys? Only 3 entrants? Where are all the other coil masters?

I can't rsvp via tapatalk.

Put me down dammit!

everyone needs to remember. when entering coil masters that its not costing you a cent. except for like 10cm of kanthal and some wicking.

and the biggest advantage, is that there will be nice prizes, probably for the top 3
secondly, and @Stroodlepuff will have to confirm, they may allow the entrants to buy the RDA they build on at a heavily discounted rate.
also no one laughs or thinks funny at the guys not making it to the top 3. you really have nothing to lose.

cmon guys get these entries in

Just a suggestion, but wouldn't it be a much more entertaining competition if you provided the wire and people had to make the coolest craziest coil they could out of the provided wire. They could then be judged on creativity, neatness and quality of vape. I would enter/ watch that competition. Just making a coil that meets a target resistance, we all do that everyday.

Correct, the rules posted here are the correct ones, the website needs to be updated, I have asked them to do it (As Giz did not do this website) but they have not done it yet. @VapeCon
Website has still not been updated with the New Rules. The Vedors list also needs adjustments made.

With regards to the NO ohm meter rule I assume it will only be mechanical mods allowed.
Almost all variable devices with a display will give a ohm reading.
The coil will need to be fired and heated so that it can be adjusted and aligned. If done on a device with a screen this could be considered cheating.

Please finalize everything as we have 5 days before the event.

LOL, if only i could enter via video chat :p

Will have to catch all the excitement at VapeCon SA 2.0

Could be fun. Setup a live stream and broadcast to an iPad on the desk

Website has still not been updated with the New Rules. The Vedors list also needs adjustments made.

With regards to the NO ohm meter rule I assume it will only be mechanical mods allowed.
Almost all variable devices with a display will give a ohm reading.
The coil will need to be fired and heated so that it can be adjusted and aligned. If done on a device with a screen this could be considered cheating.

Please finalize everything as we have 5 days before the event.

Let me chat to the tem behind it and I will get back to you guys.

Rules at a Cape Vape Meet:

COIL BUILDING COMPETITION

Each participant will be handed a rebuildable atomizer to build.
Participant to use the wire and wick of his/her choice.
Bring your own wire, wicking, tools, jigs, ohm meters, vape apps, calculator - whatever you want.
You will be asked to coil as close as possible to a resistance to be disclosed at the start of the competition.
You can build whatever coil you want - dual, twisted, chimney, ribbon wire, parallel - anything goes.
If your wire will be twisted or plated or whatever, feel free do to so beforehand. But, of course, no pre-wrapped coils.
20 minutes will be allowed to complete your coil and wick. Disqualified after 20 minutes.
Juicing of the wick will be done by the judge.

The judge will test each build on the same device with the same juice.

Criteria will be:
    1. Looks and performance of the coil and wick - 10 points.
    2. Flavour, vapour and throat hit - 10 points.
    3. Closest to the target resistance - 10 points for closest, 9 for second closest, and so on....if you are on the same time as another participant (e.g. both second closest) you will both score the same points (9 points each for the example).
You are welcome to test your ohm meter against that of the judge before the competition.

Last edited:
Back