Warning - be careful of con artists and scamsters

Reading the story.... leading me to a question:

Is there no PayPal in SA? Being now in Germany for almost 4 years I lost track on things like that. That's also why I dont follow the classifieds here ;)

In Germany almost everyone does their transactions via PP, although recently sellers ask often for the "friends" option. However, I would never purchase anything here if I cannot pay via PP, with the Buyers Protection in place.

There are still a lot of scammers around here, but that happens if you pay via direct transaction or with PP's Friends option.... Those scammers will be named and shamed in a FB group dedicated to this, as a warning to others.

Reading the story.... leading me to a question:

Is there no PayPal in SA? Being now in Germany for almost 4 years I lost track on things like that. That's also why I dont follow the classifieds here ;)

In Germany almost everyone does their transactions via PP, although recently sellers ask often for the "friends" option. However, I would never purchase anything here if I cannot pay via PP, with the Buyers Protection in place.

There are still a lot of scammers around here, but that happens if you pay via direct transaction or with PP's Friends option.... Those scammers will be named and shamed in a FB group dedicated to this, as a warning to others.

I may not be correct here, but in order to withdraw pay pal funds here you have to open an FNB cheque account, but that may have changed.

I may not be correct here, but in order to withdraw pay pal funds here you have to open an FNB cheque account, but that may have changed.
Last time I did PP, you needed to sign up on the FNB website, but didn't need an account.

You could register another account as the destination for PP withdrawal.

But this was a while ago.

...and a pity. PP was founded by a South African initially, Elon Musk. Besides that, its the best way to do online shopping.... the only way actually.
I agree. PayPal purchases are great for Online sales. Problem is that not too many people here use it or think of using it. I only ever use my PayPal account when purchasing from oversees.

I agree. PayPal purchases are great for Online sales. Problem is that not too many people here use it or think of using it. I only ever use my PayPal account when purchasing from oversees.
yeah....but if everyone chooses to ignore this solution, it would never become popular....regardless of the benefits. Some community should start it....why not the vaping community? ;)

Woah, I generally stay away from these posts, but wow, your write up moved me a little. In essence calling certain forum members STUPID (lack of intelligence) for asking for more security? The scammed individuals in no way blamed the admin team nor the forum from what I picked up (and actually explicitly said so) and rather asked what could be implemented to better the security.

Imagine renting a place... the landlord states in the contract that any break ins would not be his responsibility. But in the best interest of his tenant, he would install a safety gate and burgler bars. If he didnt and just told the tenant to deal with it, what would you think of this landlord? Thieves will still be creative, using crowbars and vehicle jacks, but at least there was preventative measures put in place to make the burglary difficult.

I think that forumites should force the use of PayPal as a payment mechanism as they support buyers protection (monies can be reversed). I personally feel that the mods do not need to implement any further changes (I'm generally a very picky buyer so this doesnt affect me), however I do understand the request for beefed up security.
Caspian makes a good point suggesting the use of PayPal

You can use any credit card with paypal. I've been using it for years.

The problem with PayPal is getting your money out of PP and into your bank account. As far as I know this is only possible with certain "qualifying" FNB accounts and the transaction fees make withdrawing funds rather unattractive.

IMG-20170419-WA0006.jpeg
so it has finally arrived , the guy has included a set of batteries for the inconvenience caused.
@R_str your name has been cleared from myside.

Last edited:
Back