Charge decisions

Hi guys. Nitecore i2 or new nitecore um20 ?
UM20 is better, but the I2 is slightly cheaper if I remember rightly.

EDIT - Abort! Abort! Abort! I don't know the UM20!

Any criteria needing to be met? Or are you just wondering which one is the better option?

Last edited:
@Stosta

On the issue of chargers, while we discussing this, do you know what the main difference is between the Nitecore i2 and the Nitecore D2 - other than the graphical readout display. Ie with the charging itself?

The only thing i don't like about the UM20 is that it charges via USB and you will need a USB wall adapter for charging. A USB port on a PC or laptop will not supply sufficient power for charging. I prefer AC powered chargers.

USB 2.0 port = 500mah
USB 3.0 port = 900mah

Last edited:
@Stosta

On the issue of chargers, while we discussing this, do you know what the main difference is between the Nitecore i2 and the Nitecore D2 - other than the graphical readout display. Ie with the charging itself?

the D2 has "low" power setting for trickle charging batteries. Which helps prolong battery life

i dont like the UM20 charger!

you need to find a decent 2A USB power adaptor for to charge both batteries at the same rate. it doesn't "marry pairs" otherwise.

the d2 and the i2 use 220VAC which is converts down and i find that much better.

I have totally got myself confused between the UM20 and the D2!

I have never liked the i2, when I got one I found that I had to place my batteries quite carefully or else they wouldn't be picked up by the charger. It didn't last long and I binned it for the D2 which I love. I haven't had a single issue with it for the year I have owned it. BUt I think @shaunnadan has answered your question a lot better than I could have @Silver !

I have totally got myself confused between the UM20 and the D2!

I have never liked the i2, when I got one I found that I had to place my batteries quite carefully or else they wouldn't be picked up by the charger. It didn't last long and I binned it for the D2 which I love. I haven't had a single issue with it for the year I have owned it. BUt I think @shaunnadan has answered your question a lot better than I could have @Silver !

Thanks @Stosta
I have the i2 and the i4
Both have worked fine for over two years and still going

My only "negative" on the i2 is that it buzzes a bit. Can only hear when in a quiet room at night for example. But its a minor negative - still works fine

Am thinking of upgrading to the D4 and/or D2 soon

Thanks @Stosta
I have the i2 and the i4
Both have worked fine for over two years and still going

My only "negative" on the i2 is that it buzzes a bit. Can only hear when in a quiet room at night for example. But its a minor negative - still works fine

Am thinking of upgrading to the D4 and/or D2 soon

the nitecore buzz !!!

@Silver maybe you been bitten by some radioactive mosquitoes which have subsequently bestowed upon you super mosquito powers?

Staying on topic, my vote goes for the i2.

The strange thing is that my i4 doesnt make a single noise. Not even a peep or a buzz.
I prefer that.

But i have asked a few vapers over the past year or so whether their charger has the buzz and some do and some dont. And its not just the i2 that buzzes. I also hear reports of buzzing on the i4. So i think its all up to the electronics inside and and components. It all works but some buzz and some dont.

Lucky draw I guess

The strange thing is that my i4 doesnt make a single noise. Not even a peep or a buzz.
I prefer that.

But i have asked a few vapers over the past year or so whether their charger has the buzz and some do and some dont. And its not just the i2 that buzzes. I also hear reports of buzzing on the i4. So i think its all up to the electronics inside and and components. It all works but some buzz and some dont.

Lucky draw I guess

You're right I've heard this too, some of non-vape gear does it, probably just minor QC issues, even machine assembled stuff has variations in quality when putting together stuff. That or it's aliens, which I prefer because it's way more exciting.

You're right I've heard this too, some of non-vape gear does it, probably just minor QC issues, even machine assembled stuff has variations in quality when putting together stuff. That or it's aliens, which I prefer because it's way more exciting.

Lol @Feliks Karp
Your radioactive mosquito and alien theories are way more interesting - i do agree!

My i2 buzzes, especially when it's plugged in with no batteries. I'm glad to hear it isn't only me!

Back