OBS Sub Engine and Sub Engine Mini

Schnappie

Elite Vaper
ECIGSSA Donor
LV

Awards
So I was sent these two tanks for review by Christina from @Heaven Gifts many thanks for the opportunity!

Both tanks are exactly the same except the sub engine mini holds 3.5 ml of liquid and the sub engine 5.3 ml's of liquid. They are also the same height but the Sub Engine is 25 mm wide whereas the Mini is 23 mm in diameter.

Some Specs:

SuB Engine

Size: 25 x 54.5 mm
Capacity: 5.3ml
Material: 304 stainless steel + Glass
Coil: 0.2ohm OCC (40-100W)
Standard 510 driptip

It comes with

• 1 x Engine SUB
  • 1 x Spare glass
  • 2 x OCC coils

1485328913_1a6b95.jpg

20170204_090658.jpg

20170204_090723.jpg

Sub Engine Mini

Size: 23 x 54.5 mm
Capacity: 3.5ml
Material: 304 stainless steel + Glass
Coil: 0.2ohm OCC (40-100W)
Standard 510 driptip

It comes with

• 1 x Engine SUB Mini
  • 1 x Spare glass
  • 2 x OCC coils
1485329678_071178.jpg

20170204_075538-450x800.jpg

20170204_075550-450x800.jpg

Now since they are both basically the same tank I am going to review mainly the Sub Engine due to the bigger liquid capacity and I carried it around with me at work for a little over a week now.

20170204_082446-800x450.jpg

As seen above the boxing is very similar to the OBS Engine RTA, except you will be getting a spare glass, user manual, tank, and two 0.2 ohm notched OCC coils rated at 40 - 100 watts. Unfortunately no RBA deck for this one which is strange as they have massive space in here to include one. I tried contacting OBS to find out whether they planned on this in the future, as well as some coil variety but they couldn't give me an answer.

First off I really like the quality of this tank. Very solidly made and the bits fit and screw together nicely. It also has a changeable standard 510 driptip( which I replaced, because the standard one is so short your mouth goes over the top airflow), Top airflow(virtually leakproof) and the familiar OBS topfill slot.

The coils of these tanks are HUGE, as pictured below, also compared it to a baby beast coil for size comparison:

Note the generous ID, as well as the notched coils and big juice intake holes
20170204_090826.jpg

Compared to the baby beast coil, its massive!
20170204_090942.jpg
20170204_091016.jpg

Now priming these coils is a breeze, the massive amount of cotton just soaks up the juice through the wicking holes and I also just placed a few drops round the inside of the coil to make sure its nicely saturated and i am also wary of notched coils as previous experiences were not good.

The coil basically just screws into the base of the tank, then you screw on the top part and fill the tank using the top juicefill slot as shown above. The juicefill slot is generous so all bottle nozzles shouldn't have a problem. I really love this design that started with the Crius tank.

The coils as stated are rated from 40 to 100 watts so after filling the tank and letting it sit for a while I gave it a few primer puffs, then started to vape on it from 40 watts and up. This tank only starts going around 50 watts, and with the top airflow closed off 3/4 of the way you can try restricted lung hits with okay flavour.

You know though that this tank was really designed for lung hitting, and my sweetspot on this tank is about 65 watts with airflow fully open.I find if i go higher I start approaching a dry hit so I think 100 watts is really pushing it rating wise. The vape I get from this is very cool, I dont know if its the notched coil design and quick rampup time but compared to other high wattage vapes like dual coil rta builds its very cool. The clouds are decent, not as expected and the flavour is quite good. It seems to do well with different flavour profiles, but doesn't excel in any of them. The flavour changeover is surprisingly good and these coils have been going for 2 weeks with no problems.

I am not sure what niche this tank is aimed at but the closest spec-wise I would say is the baby Beast and big baby Beast from Smok. And in my opinion those are great sub ohm tanks so OBS really has to up their game and bring out some more coil variety for this tank and maybe an RBA base for good measure. That would make this a much more attractive buy as the tank itself is brilliant. The top airflow is more than enough for lung hitting, the tank is leakproof and the topfill slot makes refilling a breeze.

Pro's:
Great tank design
Topfill slot
Leakproof
Driptip replaceable
Top Airflow
So much potential

Con's:
Flavour could be better
No coil variety
No RBA deck

Overall the tank has more pro's than cons, simply because the tank design is great, but the cons weigh heavy because the coils could be better. I really hope OBS invests more in this tank and bring out some more coils, possibly claptons, ceramics( they have experience with the ACE tank), and a nice RBA deck. This tank has tons of potential, and if you like a consistent, cool vape with decent flavour it can work for you, but my advice will be hang on to see if OBS decides to expand on the coil range, it can be brilliant if that is the case

The tanks can be found on the following links:

https://www.heavengifts.com/product/OBS-Engine-SUB-Atomizer-Silver.html

https://www.heavengifts.com/product/OBS-Engine-SUB-Mini-Atomizer-Silver.html

Last edited:
Back