Smoant Karat Pod Starter Kit

Timwis

Vaping Royalty
LV

Awards
Hi Ecigssa members, In this review i take a look at the Karat Pod Starter Kit from Smoant. The Karat Pod Starter Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Kristy from Smoant.

http://smoant.com/karat-pod-kit/index.html

Introduction

The Karat is Smoant's second pod system and a follow up to the S8. The Karat has a cut diamond shaped design and specs which pretty much matches the S8 but much more emphasis in the marketing about the chipsets water and oil resistance properties. The Karat also boasts an innovative quartz coil which shortens priming time and eliminates break in period giving full flavour from the off. The Karat is suction operated and is a constant output, low wattage device with a coil resistance of 1.3ohm and output of 3.4v. So i will crack on and give the Karat a good look and my thoughts after using it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Box

Contents:

1 x Smoant Karat Pod Kit
1 x USB Cable
1 x User Manual
1 x Warranty Card

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Karat came in cardboard box packaging and on opening i found i had been sent the Gradient Blue version which is a real looker. All the colours available look aesthetically pleasing, it's also available in Rainbow, Bronze Blue, Black and Gunmetal. The device is shaped like a flattened cut diamond which again in my opinion makes it one of the best looking pod devices in the marketplace. Central front we have a cut diamond shaped badge with LED indicator, at the bottom of the front we have "SMOANT" printed. The back of the device has safety stamps towards the bottom then on one side edge of the device we have the micro USB port. The bottom point of the diamond has holes allowing a lanyard (not included) to be fitted, the top point houses the small hole for inhale which is part of the pod. The pod is dark tinted and the device has a V shaped top where the pod meets device, the pods shape is a seamless continuation of the diamond shaped design. All edges have been rounded off so no sharp edges making the device comfortable in the hand and the pod being narrow where it enters the mouth again feels very comfortable. The Karat seems very well made and for a pod system feels very solid with a bit of weight to it.

Karat Specs and Features:

Size: 48 x 12 x 88mm
Material: Zinc Alloy
Pod Material: PC
Battery: Built-in 370mAh battery
Juice Capacity: 2.0ml with two easy-refilling slots
Coil Resistance: 1.3ohm
Output Voltage: 3.3-3.4V
Charging: 5V/0.5A
Multiple protections
Diamond cut craft and one piece design
Innovative quartz coil pod with water-proof chipset
Colours: Gradient Blue, Rainbow, Bronze Blue, Black, Gunmetal

The Pod

The Pod is a continuation of the cut diamond shape which narrows the pod towards the top which suits a comfortable feel in the mouth. The pod is very dark tinted but is still transparent enough to see the e-liquid also most of the pod is visible when fitted to the device so no issues seeing the juice level. Looking at the base of the pod we have a magnet each side towards the edges, then we have a rubber section which surrounds the contacts and has 2 cutout slots to allow the suction of your inhale to activate the membrane in the device. Pulling the outside edges of the rubber section reveals they lift up and are also bungs for the two filling ports one for filling while the other will allow air to escape. The fill ports are big enough for most nozzles like nozzles on Gorilla bottles but if using liquid with a glass dropper could be rather messy. The pod holds 2ml of e-liquids and has fitted an innovative quartz coil with a resistance of 1.3ohm, the coil will prime quickly and have no break-in time as well as longevity. The other feature the pod is suppose to have is a leakproof feature but while stating that on the website it fails to actually explain what that feature is or how it works and after studying the pod carefully i'm non the wiser. Their is no spare pod included which is not good but i have noticed of late is becoming the normal, this needs to stop as it's just not fair on vapers that are buying these products.

Inside The Device And Fitting The Pod

Looking inside the device with the pod removed we can see to both sides a magnet which will line up with the magnets on the pod. The centre section see's the two spring loaded contacts and slot to allow the suction of your inhale to activate the membrane switch. Although their are two slots on the pod their is only one inside the device but this means the pod can be fitted either way. If moisture or e-liquid was to get inside the device the Chipset is water and oil resistance so it should be fine. The pod fit's very securely with the magnets doing their job, there is no movement from the pod whatsoever.

Using The Karat

The Karat is a simple suction activated pod system with no physical button so the device can't be switched off and no adjustments can be made. The device is a constant output device giving an output of 3.4v so just vape and your inhale fires the device. The device does have battery status indication but it is very limited as only 2 colours are available. When you vape and the LED goes Blue the battery life is between 30% and 100%, if when you vape the light goes Red then the battery is below 30%. Charging indication is shown by when the battery is at less than 70% the light flashes Red, between 70% and 100% the light flashes Blue and finally when the device is fully charged the light stays lit Blue. The Karat has a host of safety protections which are indicated by various different amount of flashes in either Blue or Red.

Protections

Low Battery Protection
Short Circuit Protection
Over vape Protection
Over Charge Protection
Over heat Protection
Charging Protection

My Experience Using The Karat

The first thing because i was sent an extra couple of pods was to test the quick priming as if i ruined the coil i would still be able to use another pod and complete the review but point out the claim was bogus. On this one i should of had faith as it gave a saturated vape from the off and again can fully support their no break in time claim, Smoant could be on to something with the Quartz pod technology. Flavour is very good but in my opinion slightly down on both the Zero and EQ but only just. The Draw is sitting on the fence not over airy and not tight but very similar to the Zero, also i had no issues with the draw activation. What i did experience just a couple of times was the coil slightly flooded but it happened when i hadn't used the device for a few hours and it didn't result in getting liquid in my mouth, also 4 or 5 vapes saw it clear. I used up to 70VG liquid and wicking was fine so no issues their, overall a good solid pod device. The battery is 370mAh which doesn't sound much at all and indeed i will put it as a con because it could be bigger but i was surprised how long the battery lasted with the 1.3ohm coil at 3.4v. Although a small battery i was thankful for that when it came to charging as although i didn't time it with the 0.5A charging capabilities (it should be a minimum of 1A) it took a while but does support pass-through.

Gets swallowed up in the palm!

Good build quality
Very aesthetically pleasing shape
Shape suits for a comfortable vape
All colour options look good
Innovative quartz Coil
Constant output
All fingers and thumbs people might not get on with filling method but for me works great and a pro
Water and oil resistant chipset
Primes very quickly
No break in time
Flavour very good
Draw slightly airy (think Zero)
Leakproof feature (not sure what this is but i didn't suffer leaking)
Pods fit very securely
E-liquid level easy to see
Multiple protections
Battery status indication (but could be done better)

Cons

Airflow non adjustable
No physical button to turn the device off
Just one output level
Only one pod comes with kit (this trend needs to stop)
0.5A charging
370mAh (does last well but still could be bigger)
Very short USB cable
When standing a while without vaping slight flooding (no worse than i've experienced with a few pod systems)

I would once again like to thank Kristy from Smoant for supplying the Karat Pod Starter Kit for the purpose of this review

http://smoant.com/karat-pod-kit/index.html

Back