VOOPOO Rota Spinning Pod Starter Kit

Timwis

Vaping Royalty
LV

Awards
Hi Ecigssa members, In this review i take a look at the Rota Spinning Pod Starter Kit from Voopoo. The Rota Spinning Pod Starter Kit was sent for the purpose of this review by Thea from Voopoo.

http://www.voopoo.com/rota

Introduction

The Rota is an inexpensive all in one fidget spinner and pod system which is draw activated and gives vaping status indication. The unique parallelogram shape of the device more to give the device balance when spinning actually with the mouthpiece on the corner of the pod is very comfortable between the lips. The Rota has a very low standby current giving you full value from the 340mAh battery which lasts surprisingly well with the 1.5ohm coil. So let's see what sort of a spin i can put on the Rota review (sorry i couldn't resist)!

In The Box

Contents:

1x VOOPOO Rota Battery(built-in 340mAh battery)
1x VOOPOO Rota Pod Cartridge
1x USB Cable
1x User Manual
1x Warranty card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Rota comes in flat cardboard packaging and on opening i found i had received the Blue version which has a very glossy metallic finish. The other colour options are Pewter, Light Gray, Orange, Green, Purple, Black and Red, depending which colour option you go for the finishes are either a metallic gloss or textured. The finish is excellent in fact when it comes to overall build quality the Rota is up their with the very best pod devices. The shape as well as supposed to help with the balance for spinning looks good in my opinion and the device has a nice ergonomic feel. The pod has a smoked finish but is fully transparent and also has a unique shape to complete the overall parallelogram shape of the device. Both sides central we have a circular disc with a spinner design, the rest of the device rotates around the disc when spinning or holding the device still the disc itself can be spun. On one side of the device we have a nice size LED indicator followed by "VOOPOO" printed on the diagonal. One edge of the device has towards the top a very narrow slit to allow air to the pod and the micro USB port is positioned on the bottom of the device. The device is made mainly of Zinc alloy and has a bit of weight for it's size without being over heavy.

Rota Specs and Features:

Size: 37 x 14 x 79mm
Battery capacity: built-in 340mAh
Power range: 6 - 10W
Resting current: ≤5uA
Input voltage: 3.3-4.2V
Resistance range: 1.5ohm
Material: Zinc Alloy & Plastic
Unique spinning pod device with mini size
Ergonomic design with a shape of parallelogram for comfortable hand feeling
Built-in 340mAh battery for durable vaping
Refillable pod cartridge with 1.5ml e-liquid capacity
Colours: Pewter, Light Gray, Orange, Green, Blue, Purple, Black, Red

Fidget Spinner

The main importance of the Rota to everyone including myself is how the Rota fairs as a vaping pod device, but i see no harm in the idea of it doubling up as a spinner for those who suffer with boredom or just want a bit of stress relief. Fidget spinners have become quite popular and i would imagine Vapers who are overwhelmingly ex-smokers are a prime target for them as why vaping as been more successful than other methods of quitting cigarettes is the fact we were not just addicted to the nicotine but the whole ritual of doing something with the hands. As a spinner the Rota really works very well to relieve boredom and stress but as it's a pod device and not a purpose made spinner despite the shape it's not fully balanced as one end has a battery which is always going to be heavier than the pod, even when the pod is full. Although when i got the product i didn't think the spinning element of the device would be of much interest, while testing i just found myself constantly giving it a spin. For those who couldn't care less or even thinks a pod system should be just that and nothing else you have the choice of it seems like hundreds of pod devices to choose from, their will be some people who think the Rota is a damn good idea. The fidget spinning side of the device actually makes this a great choice for someone just making the switch from smoking and really do get fidgety as they are use to the smoking ritual. Of course their will be the usual outcry of targeting kids and giving Ammo to the FDA but i personally think those with that opinion are talking out their rears and probably go through life doing nothing but looking for something to have a whinge about.

The Pod

The pod as mentioned is a unique shape for a pod to fit the shape of the device which means the opening for your mouth is on the upper corner which turns out well as this is very comfortable between the lips. Again as mentioned the pod has a smoked finish but is fully transparent so seeing your liquid level is no problem. The capacity of the pod is 1.5ml which doesn't sound much but a full pod seems to last forever with the 1.5ohm coil so no issues their. Looking at the bottom of the pod to one side we have the 2 contacts with the opening that leads to the switch between them. The other side we have a silicone bung which is one of the easiest to get a grip of to pull open (the bung remains attached to the pod when removed from the fill port). The fill port is a nice size allowing for most nozzles and when removing the bung as well as the fill port there is also a small opining to allow air to escape. When the bung is put back in place it's very noticeable how deep the bung goes inside the pod so it is very well sealed. As always with a pod once filled leave to stand for at least 5 minutes before vaping. I only have one issue when it comes to the pod and that's you only get one, when the pod craze started at the beginning of 2018 every pod device came with 2 pods so why recently they have started coming with one i don't know but please Voopoo in future supply your pod kits with 2 pods.

Fitting The Pod

Looking inside the device it's very clean and tidy, to one side to match up with the contacts on the pod we have Gold plated, spring loaded contacts with the membrane switch between. The pod just gets press fitted into place but is a nice tight fit, in fact it takes quite some effort to remove the pod, a very good job!

Using The Device

The Rota is a simple draw activated device so simply take a draw and that's it. The device does have an LED that lights up when vaping and flashes various amount of times to indicate protections but the only colour is Blue so there is no battery status indication of any kind which is a big con.

My Experience Using The Rota

For this section forget the spinning element this is a very good pod device in it's own right. It could have a bigger battery but with it's low standby current and 1.5ohm coil it lasted surprisingly well, i have used pod devices with a far bigger battery which have given worse life. My only complaint when using it is lack of battery status indication, the LED lights a lovely shade of Blue when vaping which fades out after the vape, this also gives various amounts of flashes to indicate a protection kicking in but as mentioned Blue is the only colour the LED lights so the only way of knowing your battery is almost run down is slight weakening of the power which with a 1.5ohm coil isn't that easy. The response of the switch is excellent, no primer puffs needed it works very well, and the draw is very nice, not over tight but will still be suitable for someone just giving up the smokes. Flavour is also very good, not as good as the pod devices that are using a mesh coil but easily above average for a pod device. When it comes to cloud production it's simply down to how long a pull you take on the device, it allows for a pull up to 10 seconds so the device is good for a stealth vape or you can make quite a fog if you prefer.

Very good build quality
Aesthetically pleasing finishes
Unique shape
Ergonomic
Comfortable between lips
8 Colour choices (gloss and textured finishes)
Pod fits device snugly
Switch very responsive
Nice draw suitable for new vaper
Above average flavour
Good size fill port with deep bung
Fidget Spinner - relieve boredom and stress
Good value from 340mAh battery - seems much higher

Cons

No battery status indication
No spare pod

I would once again like to thank Thea from Voopoo for supplying the Rota Spinning Pod Kit for the purpose of this review.

http://www.voopoo.com/rota

Hi, do you perhaps know where in SA I will be able to find a shop that stocks the refillable pods for the rota.

Back