Reonaut
Administrator
ECIGSSA Donor
VIP
LV

Awards
source
Ecig Myth-busting

It's mind boggling that a device that has improved the lives of millions of people has been subject to so much misinformation and suspicion.

Or maybe it isn't so surprising. After all, e-cigarettes pose a threat to the status quo of the tobacco and pharmaceutical industry, plus government coffers.
The following are some of the more common myths and misinformation concerning electronic cigarettes

Myth: There hasn't been enough research done on ecigarettes

Plenty of research has been done; and plenty more is currently being undertaken.
-----
Myth: Ecigs are a gateway to smoking

This has never been demonstrated to be a major issue in any study. Stating this is a little like saying eating pizza is a gateway to eating dog poop. Read more about the "gateway" myth.
----
Myth : There is no evidence ecigs help people give up smoking

Again, evidence shows otherwise. For example, results published in the American Journal of Preventative Medicine revealed 31.0% of respondents who used ecigs were still not smoking cigarettes after 6 months. Read more.
---
Myth: Ecigs cause cancer

There has been no scientific research published to back this. Electronic cigarette vapors contain only minute traces of carcinogenic materials (as do nicotine chewing gum and patches) and far fewer carcinogens than tobacco cigarettes. Nicotine is not a carcinogen.
---
Myth: Ecig glycerol causes lipoid pneumonia

This myth has surfaced a few times. However, the glycerol used in eliquids cannot cause lipoid pneumonia as it is not an oil. Glycerol is an alcohol (not the type that intoxicates), not a lipid. The UK government's Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) stated in June 2013 it is not aware of any other cases of lipoid pneumonia associated with propylene glycol or glycerine products.
---
Myth : Vaping Normalises Smoking

How can it when it isn't smoking? There is no smoke. The vapor doesn't smell like smoke and increasingly, the devices have little resemblance to a cigarette; particularly 2nd and 3rd generation devices.
----
Myth: Ecigs have many side effects

Anything new introduced to the body has the potential to cause side effects or result in an allergic reaction. Bear in mind people have allergic reactions to all sorts of substances, including peanut butter. Also, some of the issues people experience when switching to e-cigarettes may be attributed to the body adjusting after ceasing smoking tobacco. Read more about vaping side effects.
---
Myth: Ecigs are illegal in <country>.

More often than not, this is rubbish. Electronic cigarettes are not illegal in Australia, Canada, the USA, UK and many other countries, assuming they are purchased by an adult. Where there can be some issues is in relation to selling or obtaining nicotine eliquids or devices containing nicotine.
----
Myth: Ecig liquids contain toxic anti-freeze

All sorts of substances are used for anti-freeze, including ethylene glycol; which is extremely toxic. However, this is not the substance used in eliquids. Liquids used in ecigs may contain propylene glycol; which is used in foods and medications and is generally recognised as safe (GRAS).
-----
Myth: Ecigs damage lungs

This myth was triggered by the results of a report in 2012 based on a study where ecigs were found to cause increased airway resistance. The study was reportedly flawed and the media further amplified and exaggerated the findings, which Dr. Michael Siegel, a Professor in the Department of Community Health Sciences, Boston University School of Public Health has challenged.
----
Myth : Electronic cigarettes explosions are common

Good quality electronic cigarettes will not explode or catch fire, assuming the user follows the instructions related to charging. Good quality units are built in such a way to minimise risk of battery fire (venting) or explosion, even when misused.
The simple fact is that all lithium battery based devices have the potential to explode - and this includes cell phones.
----
Myth: Passive vaping is dangerous

Some claim nicotine and carcinogens can be inhaled by bystanders. Research published by Dr Murray Laugesen, New Zealand’s most experienced researcher on smoking policy and cigarettes, states ecig vapor "does not contain any substance known to cause death, short or long term, in the quantities found."
-----
Myth: Many teens are getting hooked on e-cigarettes

This myth was started based on a study of teenage ecigarette use. What those perpetuating this myth often fail to mention is the vast majority of the teens using ecigarettes were already smokers; i.e. they were "hooked" on tobacco first.
------
Myth: Ecigs Can Be Used For Marijuana

Anyone trying to use marijuana with an electronic cigarette designed for nicotine liquids will get a nasty surprise - they simply will not work.

shucks, was so happy about reading all this until i got to the last one.
sorry but you can use marijuana in an ecig. ok you have to prepare it first, there are a few methods, basically you'll have to infuse either pg or vg with the weeds thc but it can and has been done. seems stoners are nothing if not veeeery creative

For interest sake, e-cigarettes are illegal in Singapore, the government (which is really just a very big business there) calculated the tax loss would be too high. A pack of ciggies cost roughly R100.

For interest sake, e-cigarettes are illegal in Singapore, the government (which is really just a very big business there) calculated the tax loss would be too high. A pack of ciggies cost roughly R100.
Illegal to use or illegal to sell. The latter is the case in Turkey.

shucks, was so happy about reading all this until i got to the last one.
sorry but you can use marijuana in an ecig. ok you have to prepare it first, there are a few methods, basically you'll have to infuse either pg or vg with the weeds thc but it can and has been done. seems stoners are nothing if not veeeery creative

Have to agree with @ET on this one. I met a guy who sells devices for that exact purpose. Granted his been deleted off my Contact list and I will never trust anything be sells now. But those devices do exist

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

According to Proponents of E-Cigarettes
E- cigarettes produce far fewer carcinogens than traditional cigarettes. Traditional cigarettes contain between 4,000 and 7,000 harmful chemicals, many of which are produced by the tobacco and smoke. Since e-cigarettes use vapor technology, they expose users to fewer carcinogens.
Some studies show e-cigarettes can be effective in smoking cessation. In multiple studies and surveys, e-cigarettes have been shown to potentially help smokers to reduce their habit or to quit altogether. One New Zealand study showed e-cigarettes to be as effective as nicotine patches.
The second-hand effects are far less harmful than traditional cigarettes. Though second-hand vapor exists, the levels of smoke and second-hand effects of “vaping” are magnitudes lower than traditional smoking.
They are more socially acceptable and do not smell. E-cigarettes provide the same experience and sensation for smokers – particularly those with nicotine habits – but can be used in far more places. They do not leave a sticky, unpleasant odor and do not stain teeth or fingernails.
They are a cheaper alternative to smoking. While this has not been extensively researched, studies in the U.K. and the U.S. show that vaping habits can be up to 40 percent less expensive than cigarette smoking habits.

According to Those in Opposition of E-Cigarettes
Nicotine is still an addictive drug. While not all e-cigarettes contain nicotine, most do. Nicotine impacts the neurotransmitters in the brain, causing addictive cravings and behavior.
Electronic cigarettes still emit carcinogens. E-cigarettes use liquid nicotine, a highly dangerous substance even in small doses (far more dangerous than tobacco leaves themselves). Some testing suggests that some vaporizers release toxic metals during use.
The industry is relatively unregulated. These products are not subject to FDA approval and, according to some experts, they have not been studied thoroughly enough to understand potential risks.
There are potentially dangerous advertisements to young people. Studies have shown that e-cigarette ads reach more than 50 percent of 12 to 17-year-olds, and they are promoting addictive habits to young people.
The act of smoking is habit-forming. Almost all experts agree that the physical activities associated with smoking are habit-forming, without the help of tobacco or nicotine. This makes arguments about e-cigarettes helping smokers quick seem flawed, and also could promote negative habits among previous non-smokers.

from projectknow.com

I think the message should be clear, vaping is a healthier alternative to smoking. Full stop. All the promises in the popular media of research that shows the contrary has been either disproven, sensationalist or are clearly biased by other agendas.

It's not clean air we vaping, nor a magic bullet to quit the habit, it's not for sale to children and it should not be for sale to non-smokers.

AND vaping doesn't stink nor require an endless supply of magically disappearing lighters ...

That's 100% right! I bought my brother a ecig for his birthday as I would like him to kick the analogue habit. 2 Days later he asks: "How safe is this ecig thing? (He loves it by the way and no analogues for the past week!) My reply to this question whenever it pops up: "Anything other than air we inhale is normally not so good, but vaping is a far cry from the harmful chemicals and stench you get from analogues!"

What a fat lie: "cheaper than smoking" lol.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

What a fat lie: "cheaper than smoking" lol.

No, it's not a lie. Normal e-cig users can actually save when switching.

The 'definitely not cheaper' option only applies to the hardcore collectors, enthusiasts, hobbyists and nutty people like me that want new shiny toys all the time constantly strive for that ever-evading 'Perfect Vape'. :rolleyes:

Well, at the rate I go through e-juice I'm not saving at all and work out way more than smoking.

With regards to charging a Vision Spinner, is it okay to plug the cable into my Samsung phone charger and charge that way? Surely it will be quicker than my PC's USB port but is it safe?

The rated output of those chargers are in the region of 400mA irrespective where you plug it into. So speed wise it will be the same. If your USB wall adapter outputs 5V with a minimum of say 1A it should work fine.

I rate the vapor in our vapes is cleaner than the toxins in the air especially if you drive through Jozi.

Thanks for all the info guys. I started vaping about 15 months ago and haven't touched a smoke. Between my wife and I we were spending about R3000+ on smokes, we spend about R700 on juice now. I have found that because the device is heavier than a cig I can't dangle it from my mouth so when I get up to go somewhere I often leave it on the desk, so my consumption has gone down. The other huge plus is we stay in a granny flat which is small but don't have that heavy smoke smell any more, and of course I don't cough up my lungs like I used to when smoking. I had been smoking for 45 years before switching and going thru 2-2.5 packs a day. The other advantage is I can change to different flavours that are more tasty than changing from Gunston to Lexington or any other name brand which generally all taste the same.

Thanks for all the info guys. I started vaping about 15 months ago and haven't touched a smoke. Between my wife and I we were spending about R3000+ on smokes, we spend about R700 on juice now. I have found that because the device is heavier than a cig I can't dangle it from my mouth so when I get up to go somewhere I often leave it on the desk, so my consumption has gone down. The other huge plus is we stay in a granny flat which is small but don't have that heavy smoke smell any more, and of course I don't cough up my lungs like I used to when smoking. I had been smoking for 45 years before switching and going thru 2-2.5 packs a day. The other advantage is I can change to different flavours that are more tasty than changing from Gunston to Lexington or any other name brand which generally all taste the same.
Way to go! An absolute life saver for all smokers, but especially for us heavy smokers - 3/4 packs a day on my side. Happy vaping.

Awesome compilation thanks @Alex. That last myth is not entirely true though...
Haha, ok cool thanks.

I have no experience either way . :)

Message sent via tapatalk

Vaping is most definitely much cleaner than smoking stinkies!
Over the weekend I had to work with an architect that chain smokes in her office while working, while I happily vaped away on my 'dummy' as she called my Mod..
After a few hours I had to request her to please open a window, in the freezing cold, as her smoke was making me feel nauseous and had a headache of note...
And just a few months ago we used to smoke together, now I feel for her family walking through the study stuffed with cigarette smoke, I couldn't stand it anymore and i'm only 2 months analogue free!

I've read a lot of "research" similar to these...just proves most people are sadly stupid enough to believe everything they read :/
Here's a new one.A few days ago a customer said vaping causes testicular cancer and 'it was proven'...news to me :eek: my poor testicles

So I stumbled upon this.... (well my wife actually threw this at me)
http://arstechnica.com/science/2016...s-dont/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Anybody seen this article before?
Nope, but it has a large element of hogwash to it.
Basically talking about stuff the average joe cant see and then pushing the scare button.
In a compromised immune system you will experience illness as any HIV+ individual not on ARV meds can attest.
First on the scene is usually the good old common and garden variety colds and flu.
From my experience regards cigs, I used to get colds regularly, once I stopped smoking I no longer got colds of flu...ever.
Since I have started vaping in Oct 2015 I am still cold and flu free, therefore I call BS hogwash on that article.

Back