Ex Smoker Here....

KolonelSopDrol

New Vaper
LV

Awards
Hi Guys!!

Brand new vaper here. My sons convinced me on Friday to get my first vape.

Bit of a long winded one, and bear with me - I don't really remember the last time I was this excited about something.

I work from home and the stuff that I do (DB Development for some rather big companies) oftentimes means high pressure, long hours and a lot of stress.

For a while now I have given up on stopping smoking. I want to stop but simply can't. Over the years nicotine became part of my operating system and cutting it out overclocks my processor and cause it to run extremely hot.

Anyway, I was very skeptical about this whole vaping business. Before driving to the vape shop I did a bit of quick research (part of my job so I am used to sifting through data to get to the information.)

I picked up a Geekvape B60, a set of 0.6ohm 15-25 watt coils and some bouncing berry nic salts. (30mg)

OK - Now from a smoker's perspective:

Damn I like gadgets.... The geekvape is pretty nice - the design is a bit busy for my taste, but it feels great in the hand. I like the ip68 idea. The menus are cool and getting it up and running proved to be a no brainer.

Preset expectation: Lets get the damn thing and give it a try. It's not really going to work, so I can always sell it to someone.

Pretty sure I am going to be using it for about 40% of the time, its not going to be successful in replacing my cigarettes and I will be off to get some more of my camel buddies.

Reality:

Keep in mind I have been smoking for nearly 30 years.

Not what I expected. AT ALL. Since firing up the geekvape, I have had two or three times (in three days) where I think of a cigarette. I have stopped smoking before and I know what day 3 feels like.

Now = Day(3) : I feel great, I have energy, my smell and taste are better, in short all of the benefits of stopping smoking with ZERO of the nasty withdrawal stuff.

Surprised myself and everyone else in taking to this idea 100%

... and and this is not only a much cleaner nic delivery system, Its a new hobby. LOTS of new stuff to learn and research. A world of options and flavours and methods and mods and stuff to experiment with.

Bought my second vape this morning. One of those Drag S Pro's : Using this one with a PNP MTL Pod tank at about 11 watt. I plan to use this one socially since I am using lower nicotine (12mg) with it.

Saw a friend over the weekend. Showed him the box and vape and gadgets and juice. Very pernickety smoker. Camel fan also.

He ordered his vape that evening.

Very early days still - but so far things are looking great!!!

Well done on starting this journey, it is possibly the best thing you could have done to give up the stinkies.

The B60 is an awesome little device that will be sure to help you on your non-smoking journey.

Welcome to the healthy alternative

Hi Guys!!

Bit of a long winded one, and bear with me - I don't really remember the last time I was this excited about something.

I work from home and the stuff that I do (DB Development for some rather big companies) oftentimes means high pressure, long hours and a lot of stress.

For a while now I have given up on stopping smoking. I want to stop but simply can't. Over the years nicotine became part of my operating system and cutting it out overclocks my processor and cause it to run extremely hot.

Anyway, I was very skeptical about this whole vaping business. Before driving to the vape shop I did a bit of quick research (part of my job so I am used to sifting through data to get to the information.)

I picked up a Geekvape B60, a set of 0.6ohm 15-25 watt coils and some bouncing berry nic salts. (30mg)

Damn I like gadgets.... The geekvape is pretty nice - the design is a bit busy for my taste, but it feels great in the hand. I like the ip68 idea. The menus are cool and getting it up and running proved to be a no brainer.

Preset expectation: Lets get the damn thing and give it a try. It's not really going to work, so I can always sell it to someone.

Pretty sure I am going to be using it for about 40% of the time, its not going to be successful in replacing my cigarettes and I will be off to get some more of my camel buddies.

Reality:

Not what I expected. AT ALL. Since firing up the geekvape, I have had two or three times (in three days) where I think of a cigarette. I have stopped smoking before and I know what day 3 feels like.

Now = Day(3) : I feel great, I have energy, my smell and taste are better, in short all of the benefits of stopping smoking with ZERO of the nasty withdrawal stuff.

... and and this is not only a much cleaner nic delivery system, Its a new hobby. LOTS of new stuff to learn and research. A world of options and flavours and methods and mods and stuff to experiment with.

Bought my second vape this morning. One of those Drag S Pro's : Using this one with a PNP MTL Pod tank at about 11 watt. I plan to use this one socially since I am using lower nicotine (12mg) with it.

Saw a friend over the weekend. Showed him the box and vape and gadgets and juice. Very pernickety smoker. Camel fan also.

Congratulations. I went cold turkey from smoking to vaping during lock down. Haven't missed smoking one bit. I refused to pay black market prices for cigarettes. I was also a Camel plain smoker. I am on pension and have time to fiddle with my vapes re wicking etc. which I enjoy. Also cuts the cost a bit.
I am in a family situation where I was the only smoker and am now the only vaper. The nice thing now is my sons and daughter inlaws don't mind me vaping but wouldn't have let me smoke. (I wouldn't have anyway though as I have never smoked in none smokers company.)
Enjoy your new hobby and keep it up.
PS. Since I stopped smoking I honestly don't feel a difference in my health, but do notice a difference in food and drink flavours.
I also didn't stop for health reasons, but purely because I wouldn't pay black market prices, and I think it is criminal how tobacco companies have pushed prices up since the tobacco ban was lifted.

Last edited:
@KolonelSopDrol, I just loved your story! I smoked for 45 years and was a really heavy smoker... I tried everything from hypnosis to acupuncture to drugs, and nothing worked! I really wanted to stop smoking because my health and lungs were in a very bad way. Just under ten years ago, I like you picked up a vape, and I haven't touched a cigarette since then! I envy your journey because the first two years of giving up smoking give you so much... your health improves rapidly, food tastes different, and your skin and face change for the better! Do yourself a favour, take some pictures now, and watch the difference over time!

Congrats on the attitude and the fact that your life changes from now on!

Hi Everyone!

This morning it struck me again - In just 4 days my cough went away and I feel great!!

The thought of smoking a cigarette makes me feel nauseous.

One thing I can remember very clearly from the one or two times that I stopped smoking: The moment your sense of smell improves and you stand next to a smoker you can smell them. Ughhh!

Damn I have been there for a long time and I am glad its over.

Before Friday I did not really know enough about vaping to really have an opinion on the matter.

I have now had my Damascus Road experience.

And I have a brand new bugbear - People hear something about vaping deaths and popcorn lung and "Ooohhh theese new theeng iss velly bad!!!"

I saw a thread on here about someone trying to convince a smoker to try vaping and they are hesitant because of something stupid they heard or read.

It's really sad.

My friend's vape will be arriving this afternoon and I am really going to do my best to get him to stick with it. We are the same age, friends since school, he also works from home, also a heavy smoker.

I lied to myself for so many years, told everyone including myself that I wanted to stop smoking, but I never did want to stop. 35 plus years of stinkies can make you an addict and put you in denial. I had a mild heart attack due to an artery clogging. After being let out of ICU, first thing I did, drip stand and backside hanging out of the hsospital gown, was find a spot that I could go and have smoke. I remember finding my smokes in my overnight bag and then finding a balcony to go smoke. As I did I remember asking myself WTF are you doing.

I still finished that smoke but determined it to be the last.

You are more than lucky, what is available now is top notch compared to 10 years ago. What we started with was terrible. The day after I left the hospital I ordered a cigalike from Takealot. It was rubbish but I managed to et my nic fix from it. Thankfully things progressed and I got to a stage where I was content with my nic demand.

Beware the rabbit hole. Three years or so ago, I got an itch, what is all this "other vaping" about. And so the journey through mtl/dl/rdl began. Sub ohm, rebuildables, RTA's RDA's. Mech tubes, box mechs, regulated, pot mods ..... ooooh so much to explore.

You came to the right place and congratulations with your decision to stop the smokes. This forum has enough collective wisdom to satisfy any need.

Welcome and enjoy the ride. Keep you hands and feet inside at all times.

Hi Guys!!

Reality:

I haven't been on the forum in ages so what a wonderful surprise for this to pop up on my news feed.

I am so incredibly happy for you! My transition into vaping wasn't as easy but at least it is absolute, never going back!

Welcome go the family, it's an awesome one to be a part of. Soon you'll have strange conversations about flavours, bridges, coils, cotton (be careful of this one) and be sending us cloud checks!

I haven't been on the forum in ages so what a wonderful surprise for this to pop up on my news feed.

I am so incredibly happy for you! My transition into vaping wasn't as easy but at least it is absolute, never going back!

Welcome go the family, it's an awesome one to be a part of. Soon you'll have strange conversations about flavours, bridges, coils, cotton (be careful of this one) and be sending us cloud checks!
Looking forward to it!!

I attempted to swop cigarettes out for a voopoo musket 120w vape, unfortunately it didn't go as smooth for me

Hi Everyone!

This morning it struck me again - In just 4 days my cough went away and I feel great!!

The thought of smoking a cigarette makes me feel nauseous.

One thing I can remember very clearly from the one or two times that I stopped smoking: The moment your sense of smell improves and you stand next to a smoker you can smell them. Ughhh!

Damn I have been there for a long time and I am glad its over.

Before Friday I did not really know enough about vaping to really have an opinion on the matter.

I have now had my Damascus Road experience.

And I have a brand new bugbear - People hear something about vaping deaths and popcorn lung and "Ooohhh theese new theeng iss velly bad!!!"

I saw a thread on here about someone trying to convince a smoker to try vaping and they are hesitant because of something stupid they heard or read.

It's really sad.

My friend's vape will be arriving this afternoon and I am really going to do my best to get him to stick with it. We are the same age, friends since school, he also works from home, also a heavy smoker.
Well done @KolonelSopDrol on your transition to stop smoking you are doing great job at it and helping other as well you right it is a great hobby with lots of fun stuff to learn and this forum is a awesome place for it. Enjoy your journey and welcome to forum :thumbup:

Quick update:

Had a couple of shitty days in the last week: Development problems, client issues, stress...

Got through them without going back to cigarettes!!

Back