Eleaf Istick 100W - Low Battery Warning Fault

snowman123

New Vaper
LV

Awards
Recently had an issue with 2 istick 100W mods were the unit flashes empty/low battery warning on the lcd display. Both units would also not turn on sometimes unless the charger was plugged in. Initially, I thought the batteries needed replacement, tried new batteries, same result.

With the units be out of warranty and having nothing to lose, I decided to open the units and have a look if there was any obvious problems. I did basic testing with a digital multi-meter to identify any shorts/damaged components. Everything looked fine.

I used some Isopropyl alcohol (99%) and a tooth brush to clean the PCB just in case of any remaining eliquid spills/leakage that maybe causing a short or malfunction. Then, using a hot air smd station at about 300 degrees, I reflowed the components on the pcb at the lowest air flow setting. Be careful not to heat the components for more than 2 seconds at a time. The reflow process took me about 2 minutes. After 1 sided is heated, wait till it is warm then reflow the second side of the PCB. This is an intermediate/advance repair and requires patience and precision. Use Kapton (high temp polyamide tape) tape on any plastic components, lcd etc. to prevent damage or burning from the reflow.

The problem I have noticed with the istick 100W models is that the lead free solder used seems to be of poor quality and over time starts to form hairline cracks which causes failures. Also eliquid residue on the electronics can also cause malfunctioning.

Both mods work perfectly now after the reflow and cleaning process! Hope this helps someone who is experiencing similar frustrations!

Wow @snowman123
Thats impressive -

you have the tools and the knowledge - glad you could fix it

Let us know how it holds up

After repairing about a week later, the low battery warning issue and intermittent power (will not turn on at times) issue surfaced back again. This happens on both my istick 100W mods. So being tired of just fixing the problem, I decided to look at the cause. Eliquid seems to be leaking through the 510 connector into the electronic components causing weird issues and possibly shorts somehow.

For the fix, I used a 510 drip tip O ring that I had lying around and placed this onto the threaded 510 connector on the mod (see pic). Also, just as an extra preventative measure, I opened the top panel and used heat shrink tubing to insulate the top portion from any leaks that may occur and to protect the electronics.

So far so good. Lets see how long this holds up for! Hope this info will be useful to others.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 9
Hey @snowman123 very impressed with your skills. Just out of interest how old are your I sticks? I have owned mine around two months with no problems so far. Thanks mate

Thanks for the compliment!

I have 2 of the istick 100W units. One purchased locally roughly about 4 months old. Used this one and the 510 connector gave up on me. Manufacturer was kind enough to send me a second replacement after I highlighted the problem. The second Istick 100W (replacement) is 2 months old. I just gave up with the complaining and waiting cycles, return shipping costs etc. and just decided to fix them on my own. About the istick 100W, there seems to be minor differences between the 2 that I have. Initial model had a slight rattle on the buttons (fire, + & -). On the replacement model, this problem was fixed. Seems like Eleaf is listening to customers and gradually making revisions to improve on the product.

I also own both the 30W and 50W models. Never had issues with these even after 2 years or so.

Back